• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:16 PM

That's great!  Persistence... and now you know!

Yeah, if you are cleared for the option you are cleared to tough n go or full stop landing.  I am pretty sure that if you requested any thing again from that point out you are duplicating your requests (relative to your traffic pattern practice).  

V-I is under your belt!  On with V-2!

#42 Salty25

Salty25

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:05 PM

V02 is down and done.  Just finished the flight.

It was close, really close.  I got to the end, just parked and was told I passed when FSX crashed on me.   :hrmm:  A minute or two earlier and I would have to do it all over again.

I have to find out what the problem is and get it fixed.  I'm hoping the new system will fix it but not sure when that will arrive.  I'm getting a little upset that it hasn't shipped yet, was told it would be here by May 1st when I put in the order.

Now to work on V03 and figure out what the problem is with the crashes.  Second time it has done that.

#43 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:37 PM

Congrats.  You are having fun now!  V-3... oh man, that's a great test.  Flying the transition routes.  I don't even want to tell you what happened to me on that one....  let's just say I took it again...and then again.    Now that I have it down, VFR through the Class B over there in the LAX basin is great.  Lots of traffic to listen to and lots of ATC to follow.

Good luck..

PS - one word.... NewEgg.

#44 Salty25

Salty25

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:05 PM

Yeah, I'm looking at NewEgg now.  Those guys at TigerDirect...  :hrmm:   I'd pull my hair out if I had any.

I read the tasks for V3, seems confusing right now.  I'm sure I'll figure it out and will try it this week.

Maybe  :hrmm:

#45 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:29 AM

I bought one thing from tiger direct years ago... never again.

A friend of mine bought one of those "barebones" kits...  wow, ripofff.  Faulty mobo, faulty stick of ram - the list goes on.

If you ask me, Newegg is in a class of their own and it will be at your door step in 2 days (and many times with free shipping).

#46 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:44 PM

Hmm, Tiger Direct must have changed somewhat over the years as I bought a PSU, MB and a HD from them with no issues. I guess it also depends on what you buy also. I bought a ASUS M2N SLI Motherboard a while back and the first delivery was a dud. ASUS sent me a free replacement immediately. That's why I've always stuck with ASUS and AMD over the years as their customer service and support is 2nd to none.  :hrmm:

Edited by THBatMan8, 04 May 2009 - 08:46 PM.

#47 Salty25

Salty25

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:46 PM

I'm also a big fan of ASUS boards.  I ordered a complete system from them that was supposed to be built.  Their website said it would be built tested and shipped in 3 - 5 days.  I think that is good time to put it together, test and package.  Well, it's been two weeks and they said it will probably be another week before they ship it.  

Would not be a problem if they were up front with the information.  If I have to call and track it down and bug them for info... sorry, I'll go somewhere else and get what I want.

There ASUS board isn't any better than a ASUS board from someone else.

If Newegg doesn't come through for some reason then I'll go to plan three.  Local store has all the gear on the shelf; without 64 bit Vista I'd save $50, with it an extra $60.

Options, it's all about the options.

#48 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:20 PM

Newegg will come through. Period.
The support staff - live chat at that too, rocks.  

I have never been anything than 100% satisfied with all aspects of newegg - selection, price, reviews, fedex shipments, warranty, customer service, credit services, same day priority shipping..the list goes on and on.

+1 for ASUS.  I have both a P5K and a P5K-E.  They have treated my Q6600s and E6600s with great speeds.  What's the moto "Rock Solid and Heart Touching"? Something like that... its true.

Edited by Bman., 04 May 2009 - 10:22 PM.

#49 usnchris

usnchris

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:01 PM

View PostBman., on May 4 2009, 11:20 PM, said:

Newegg will come through. Period.

Not true. They just discontinued the Saitek Rudder Pedals I was fixing to buy  :hrmm:

#50 Salty25

Salty25

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:30 PM

Well, the EXACT same computer I had on order from Tigerdirect that didn't ship out in two weeks has already been shipped from NewEgg.

UPS estimates delivery on 05-07.   :hrmm:

#51 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:12 PM

Now if only the FSFlightClub.com would come around like NewEgg.com :hrmm:

#52 Salty25

Salty25

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:07 AM

Good news all around.  My new computer did arrive yesterday, along with a DVI cable to hook up the monitor.

I also found out I was passed on V03 the other day.  I thought I'd have to do it over again; FSX crashed on me again as I was entering the pattern to land.

I got a few tips from the ATC from the flight.  Nothing major; he said my call sign wasn't realistic and I was saying my ID wrong.  Easy things to fix I think.

Now I have to try some IFR flights.  

Ben, what is the whirlwind thing on DLMN?  I can't find anything about them in the manual.

#53 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 12:20 AM

Those are Observer controllers.  You can toggle those on and off ...

PS on V-III .  Your confidence is increasing by the day.

Edited by Bman., 10 May 2009 - 12:21 AM.

#54 Zboe

Zboe

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:35 PM

If nobody minds, what is this V-II, V-III (V02, V03 whichever it is) stuff you're referring too?

Edited by pulluporcrash, 10 May 2009 - 08:36 PM.

#55 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:53 AM

These are tests given over at ZLA ARTCC (http://www.laartcc.org/).  They have a pilot certification program which tests your general flying and ATC communication skills.  It's a completely voluntary program they offer for pilots on Vatsim.  

I found them very beneficial to learning the correct ATC phraseology and boosting my confidence  for various situations that may crop up or that I may want to tackle while flying on the network.

Benjamin.

#56 Captain Quagmire

Captain Quagmire

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:40 AM

Hi Ben, this sounds like a great idea and would be more than happy to join the flying club. However, ive never flown VFR flights before and have absolutely no idea how it defers from IFR. :hrmm: I have logged on over 100hours on Vatsim but just flying airliners.

#57 Zboe

Zboe

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:14 PM

View PostBman., on May 11 2009, 09:53 AM, said:

These are tests given over at ZLA ARTCC (http://www.laartcc.org/).  They have a pilot certification program which tests your general flying and ATC communication skills.  It's a completely voluntary program they offer for pilots on Vatsim.  

I found them very beneficial to learning the correct ATC phraseology and boosting my confidence  for various situations that may crop up or that I may want to tackle while flying on the network.

Benjamin.

Ok, I figured it was something like that but wasn't sure.  I wanna get on vatsim sometime
and have looked into all the information they have but I don't how to fly without using the
built in GPS.

#58 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:04 PM

Pullup - If you are only flying with GPS, you are missing most of the fun!  VOR, approach plates, SID/STARs - all very good fun.  If you are looking to take you flying (simming) to a whole different level let me know.

Capt. Q - Instrument versus Visual Flight Rules.  Under VFR you have specific visibility requirements.  You can still flying using any navigational aids but you aren't required to.  Under VFR you are required to maintain your own separation from other planes unless you have requested flight following.  The list is long in the differences.  Given you are use to flying IFR 247 with Big Tin, flying anything else should be pretty easy :hrmm:

In terms of the club, we will be flying VFR, IFR and in every plane under the sun as far as I am concerned.  There will be no limiting factors other than have fun and learn / teach something to your neighbor.

..... still looking for developers, ahem!....

#59 Salty25

Salty25

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:41 PM

I've been flying FSX since Dec, when I got the program as a gift.  Went through the lessons, the missions and just flying around when I first got it.  

Now, I've been getting on VATSIM, doing the tests, flying around and talking with the ATCs; learned alot more about how things work.  I occasionally fly with a friend, in a real plane, and we get into all sorts of conversations about things I learn on VATSIM.

Ben, I found out what the problem was the other night.  When I reloaded everything I downloaded Copilot and FSinn from the website.  Well, they had the link to the old version.  I found the new version and loaded it, then had to remember how to set up the PTT; now everything works great.

singing:  "I'm back in the saddle again..."   :hrmm: