#21 Arm Out The Heli

Arm Out The Heli

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:57 AM

View Postniteye, on Jun 1 2009, 12:08 PM, said:

I don't want to sound pessimistic but I'm speculating they will find floating debris and bodies in the ocean as the search progresses. The plane was supposed to land like 2 hours ago, and the plane has been missing for much longer. I don't think "everything's alright". I can't think of any normal situation where this could happen. Transponder failure? They still could contact ATC and fly. Radar failure? Same thing.

Great. Radar failure over an area not even covered by Radar..? Transponder failure? Their transponder isn't even being put to use out there, all VHF and position reports. Stop speculating rubbish.. you just make everything worse.

View PostDennis., on Jun 1 2009, 12:48 PM, said:

Unreliable sources, don't know where you got such :hrmm: from.

http://edition.cnn.c...azil/index.html

Updated 3 minutes ago.

Those sources would be Air France. Unreliable? More reliable than you and your CNN nonsene.

Eric Moody has made an appearance on Sky News this morning. A time for all to turn off the TV and put the kettle on boil. That man speaks out his rear at times. He has one big mouth nobody could seal tight for the shortest period of time imaginable. Quote from his passenger announcement after his Jakartar incident: "Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get it under control. I trust you are not in too much distress."

What a nutter! He went on to announce his Localiser/DME approach into Jakartar as "a bit like negotiating one's way up a badger's :hrmm:". Then, on Sky News, he's just said that these twin engines should not be operating such legs and are extremely unreliable. Even more unreliable than flying your 747 packed with 263 people onboard into Volcanic Ash, apparently. Blubbering idiot shouldn't be given a slot by Sky News. I plead that they find someone who is up-to-date on the modern aviation industry and not the editor of the Flyer magazine who sounds as if he is 18.. much like that Aviation Security Consultant that was on the phone earlier.

#22 davie18

davie18

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:58 AM

View PostDennis., on Jun 1 2009, 12:48 PM, said:

View PostLord Flashheart, on Jun 1 2009, 09:44 PM, said:

Update: Plane sent message it had electrical short-circuit after strong turbulence.
Unreliable sources, don't know where you got such :hrmm: from.
Sky news..

They wouldn't report it if it was from an unreliable source imo.

Being reported on other news channels as well.

So quite a few channels are reporting this "unreliable :hrmm:".

Edited by davie18, 01 June 2009 - 07:02 AM.

#23 .Sam.

.Sam.

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:04 AM

Everyone BBC news has interviewed seems rather negative about whats happened
On the other hand
Its an A330 a reliable jet, with an amazing safety record.

Does look rather dim though, getting worried.

#24 Pacific-Blue

Pacific-Blue

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:05 AM

wow. this is terrible, but how do we know that its not been diverted somewere els and that it is in maintanence?

#25 .Sam.

.Sam.

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:07 AM

but how do we know that its not been diverted somewere els and that it is in maintanence?
:hrmm:

Edited by .Sam., 01 June 2009 - 07:09 AM.

#26 JordanFarmer

JordanFarmer

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:08 AM

View PostPacific-Blue, on Jun 1 2009, 01:05 PM, said:

wow. this is terrible, but how do we know that its not been diverted somewere els and that it is in maintanence?
Because it wouldnt be reported on news channels over the world. And i heard about the short circuit, on BBC News. Sait it may have been sent by the ACARS system or something like that, but they would have run out of fuel and reserves by now :hrmm:

#27 niteye

niteye

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:10 AM

View PostArm Out The Heli, on Jun 1 2009, 06:57 AM, said:

Great. Radar failure over an area not even covered by Radar..? Transponder failure? Their transponder isn't even being put to use out there, all VHF and position reports. Stop speculating rubbish.. you just make everything worse.

Firstly I said those speculations were unlikely and they will probably find a bunch of debris sooner or later. Secondly:

The initial report said the plane disappeared off the coast, not on the atlantic. No radar coverage? ATC said the plane disappeared off his radar. Read the articles and my post PROPERLY first.

Edited by niteye, 01 June 2009 - 07:12 AM.

#28 Pacific-Blue

Pacific-Blue

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:10 AM

:hrmm:

#29 .Sam.

.Sam.

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:11 AM

You can watch BBC NEWS 24 online

http://news.bbc.co.u.../uk/7459669.stm

#30 Arm Out The Heli

Arm Out The Heli

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:15 AM

View Postniteye, on Jun 1 2009, 01:10 PM, said:

Firstly I said those speculations were unlikely and they will probably find a bunch of debris sooner or later. Secondly:

The initial report said the plane disappeared off the coast, not on the atlantic. No radar coverage? ATC said the plane disappeared off his radar. Read the articles and my post PROPERLY first.

If you'd look at the flight corridors, do the timings into flight and the last transmission, it would be well and truley out over the atlantic. It wouldn't still be 'just off land' if it was 4 hours into flight. Try your own maths and judgement rather than some journalist in a New York office dishing out the worst they can in order to deflame the organisations involved. Unfortunately news reporting is all politcal nowadays. Welcome to the 21st century.

#31 niteye

niteye

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:28 AM

If you'd look at the flight corridors, do the timings into flight and the last transmission, it would be well and truley out over the atlantic. It wouldn't still be 'just off land' if it was 4 hours into flight. Try your own maths and judgement rather than some journalist in a New York office dishing out the worst they can in order to deflame the organisations involved. Unfortunately news reporting is all politcal nowadays. Welcome to the 21st century.

At the time of my post "off the coast of Brazil" is all that had been in the article. Sheesh! Stop making a fuss.

Quote from CNN:

"We are very worried," an aviation official told AFP. "The plane disappeared from the screens several hours ago. It could be a transponder problem, but this kind of fault is very rare and the plane did not land when expected."

Edited by niteye, 01 June 2009 - 07:31 AM.

#32 .Sam.

.Sam.

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:29 AM

At the time of my post "off the coast of Brazil" is all that had been in the article. Sheesh! Stop making a fuss.
Im leaving it in the backround so i no any updates, i can make as much of a fuss as i like thanks BOSS

#33 niteye

niteye

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:37 AM

The plane disappeared about 186 miles (300km) north east of the coastal Brazilian city of Natal and near Fernando de Noronha, a force spokesman went on.

According to sky.com as of now the plane hasn't crashed in the middle of the ocean and was within radar range.

#34 Tim.

Tim.

Aviation Hotshot Dec-Feb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,542 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:38 AM

The real life Lost.

Pprunes gone mad too.

#35 niteye

niteye

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:44 AM

Maybe in 3 years from now this plane will be featured in an Air Crash Investigations episode (or some similar TV show)

#36 reyven

reyven

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:48 AM

SAD!! There had to have been some sudden catastrophic system failure on that A330-200 and that's not a good sign  :hrmm: .

#37 Arm Out The Heli

Arm Out The Heli

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:51 AM

View Postniteye, on Jun 1 2009, 01:44 PM, said:

Maybe in 3 years from now this plane will be featured in an Air Crash Investigations episode (or some similar TV show)

Possibly over 200 people have died... and all you care about is seeing this bloody thing reconstructed on the television?  :hrmm:

#38 Alaska_MD-83

Alaska_MD-83

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:51 AM

Would a search be conducted for the black boxes on the bottom of the atlantic ocean? Would that be possible or practical at those depths and location?

The news is reporting an "automoatic" message was sent from the aircraft. I think the truth was lost in translation. I think they meant "Automated" message by ACARAS.

#39 JordanFarmer

JordanFarmer

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:07 AM

1213 GMT: Air France suggests the electrical fault was probably caused by the plane suffering a lightning strike.

Surely ligtning wouldnt cause anything catastrophic like this? Lots of planes go through lighning unscathed, what a noobsih comment

#40 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:09 AM

As much as I hate to say this, I think this accident will have major consequences for the manufacturers if it is a short circuit.

May all be safe :hrmm:

View PostMr T. FOOL!, on Jun 1 2009, 02:07 PM, said:

1213 GMT: Air France suggests the electrical fault was probably caused by the plane suffering a lightning strike.

Surely ligtning wouldnt cause anything catastrophic like this? Lots of planes go through lighning unscathed, what a noobsih comment
I doubt a aircraft will come down due to lightning. there are many things on aircraft these days which counteract lightning.