#81 as737700

as737700

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:17 PM

View PostGeorge Bush, on Jun 1 2009, 08:15 AM, said:

(losing radar contact probably means they also lost their navigation systems)

Not really.  "Losing radar contact" means that they exited the radar coverage area, which is what always happens on a portion of a transatlantic flight.  From what I heard they had exited the radar coverage area, and missed their first position report over the Atlantic, which is what raised a red flag.

Very sad indeed :hrmm:

#82 Flying_Scotsman

Flying_Scotsman

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:17 PM

How hard would it be to have a GPS device that sends out a signal when an aircraft comes down.  Can be remotely activated, or activates on sudden decompression, loss of engine power, comes into contact with water, sudden g-force etc etc.  I mean, these planes cost millions but they can still be 'lost'.

#83 The_Great_North

The_Great_North

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:20 PM

Just watched the BBC news update at 19:00. Pretty factual, they seem to cut out all the crap that CNN etc spread.

R.I.P

#84 as737700

as737700

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:22 PM

View PostDr...Watson, on Jun 1 2009, 11:17 AM, said:

How hard would it be to have a GPS device that sends out a signal when an aircraft comes down.  Can be remotely activated, or activates on sudden decompression, loss of engine power, comes into contact with water, sudden g-force etc etc.  I mean, these planes cost millions but they can still be 'lost'.

That's basicly what an ELT (Emergency Locator Transmitter) is, which this plane should have.

#85 AirFranceSST

AirFranceSST

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:26 PM

I would like to imagine that it diverted after missing the waypoint and landed somewhere in Africa or back in Brasil.

This is very sad. I have hopes of someday flying for Air France as well, once I move to France.

#86 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:29 PM

View PostAirFranceSST, on Jun 1 2009, 07:26 PM, said:

I would like to imagine that it diverted after missing the waypoint and landed somewhere in Africa or back in Brasil.
Don't get your hopes up, it's fairly hard to not notice a 'lost' A330 landing...

Hopefully there are survivors somewhere out there, but I doubt it :hrmm:

#87 Awesumus Pwntius

Awesumus Pwntius

Commercial Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:48 PM

AFAIK, since Air France operates A330 s here in the US, they are REQUIRED to have an ELT, thats MEL for any aircraft trying to get FAA certification.

#88 Arm Out The Heli

Arm Out The Heli

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:51 PM

http://www.airliners...b2c49056c8b6fc8

4 years ago at the Toulouse factory...

#89 reyven

reyven

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:03 PM

View PostArm Out The Heli, on Jun 1 2009, 02:51 PM, said:

that's one of the puzzling things about this accident! It was a relatively new jet :hrmm:  , no radio contact for mayday! Iam thinking if it did get hit by Lightning ,then the either the cockpit (Killing the pilots) or the fuel line(Explosion) took a direct hit IMO

R.I.P.  :hrmm:

#90 .Sam.

.Sam.

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:08 PM

no radio contact for mayday!
Thats the strange thing about this all.

#91 Chief NWA

Chief NWA

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:15 PM

So very sad :hrmm:
This isn't only a catastrophe but a mystery. Puzzling?

#92 Battle_Penguin

Battle_Penguin

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:22 PM

This is terrible, They extended homeroom because a students father was onboard this flight.. :hrmm:

I know that the A330-200 is reliable and is a great plane to fly this flight, but wouldnt they reroute if they saw a storm on radar, or did it just pop up?

This is a castaway situation (if you saw the movie), but you never know they could be dead after crashing into the ocean at 250 KIAS or they could have landed flat and the passengers are floating on rafts, i guess youll just have to pray..

R.I.P  :hrmm:

#93 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:33 PM

View Postreyven, on Jun 1 2009, 08:03 PM, said:

View PostArm Out The Heli, on Jun 1 2009, 02:51 PM, said:

that's one of the puzzling things about this accident! It was a relatively new jet :hrmm:  , no radio contact for mayday! Iam thinking if it did get hit by Lightning ,then the either the cockpit (Killing the pilots) or the fuel line(Explosion) took a direct hit IMO

R.I.P.  :hrmm:
please can people stop blaming lightning as the main cause. This is not the case as there are several other factors that may have caused this. Lighting is one of the least possible causes as all aircraft have something which allows the lightning to flow through and out of the aircraft without any harm done.

There has already been some sort of short circuit which has caused a fire with a Air Canada DC-9:

http://aviation-safe...p?id=19830602-1

whether or not the aircraft is 1 hour old or 100 years old, anything can happen at any time just like your car can breakdown at any time or place.

Edited by Iranair747, 01 June 2009 - 02:34 PM.

#94 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:40 PM

View Postas737700, on Jun 1 2009, 02:17 PM, said:

View PostGeorge Bush, on Jun 1 2009, 08:15 AM, said:

(losing radar contact probably means they also lost their navigation systems)

Not really.  "Losing radar contact" means that they exited the radar coverage area, which is what always happens on a portion of a transatlantic flight.  From what I heard they had exited the radar coverage area, and missed their first position report over the Atlantic, which is what raised a red flag.

Very sad indeed :hrmm:

Don't know how I missed that one but yes. Even a loss of radar contact doesn't necessarily imply the plane went down or lost navigation.  

View PostAwesumus Pwntius, on Jun 1 2009, 02:48 PM, said:

AFAIK, since Air France operates A330 s here in the US, they are REQUIRED to have an ELT, thats MEL for any aircraft trying to get FAA certification.

The ELT is MMEL for the CAA also. But there are more ways the A330 can transmit messages/posn reports. IE ACARS/SELCAL, etc.

The automated message received from ACARS also indicated a loss in cabin pressure at cruise altitude.  :hrmm:

Edited by Da Speznas, 01 June 2009 - 02:54 PM.

#95 .Sam.

.Sam.

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:41 PM

whether or not the aircraft is 1 hour old or 100 years old, anything can happen at any time just like your car can breakdown at any time or place.
I no as a forum its our job to speculate, but i disagree, as an avation expert said, Its nearly impossible for a european airliner in such good condition just to disappear. Theres a reason for this not just a break down .

#96 davie18

davie18

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:44 PM

View Post.Sam., on Jun 1 2009, 08:41 PM, said:

I no as a forum its our job to speculate, but i disagree, as an avation expert said, Its nearly impossible for a european airliner in such good condition just to disappear. Theres a reason for this not just a break down .
Thats the keyword.

Nearly impossible, but certainly not impossible.

#97 .Sam.

.Sam.

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:46 PM

Nearly impossible, but certainly not impossible.
Its so hard to take you seriosly with that avatar lol

#98 aviatordom

aviatordom

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:47 PM

David Learmount (FLIGHT International) has just been on the BBC speaking about the accident

Referring to the reported electrical fault, he says that a short-circuit may have occured, resulted in excessive heat and eventually fire.

He then mentions the Swissair crash over the Atlantic in 1998, which as you'll know was due to a large fire. This crash also sprung to my mind.

Flying through turbulence and through a thunderstorm, perhaps descending due to a reported pressurization issue and an electrical issue/fire at the same time, all at night over the Atlantic ocean, far away from an alternate.

Not good at-all :hrmm:

Theres talk on PPRune about a possible fuel explosion?

So many speculations, we'll just need to wait

It's also going to be tricky finding the FDR & the CVR

Discuss

Edited by A32X, 01 June 2009 - 02:49 PM.

#99 Battle_Penguin

Battle_Penguin

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:47 PM

Im too curious but could somebody answer my question?

I know that the A330-200 is reliable and is a great plane to fly this flight, but wouldnt they reroute if they saw a storm on radar, or did it just pop up?

Thanx guys. :hrmm:

And R.I.P to passengers. :hrmm:

#100 03SVTCobra

03SVTCobra

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:48 PM

Why is everyone acting like just because it's 4 years old it couldn't have had a catastrophic failure?

It has thousands of moving parts on board....that is the risk that is run with ANY machine of ANY sort no matter how old or new. It can unfortunately break at any time.