10 replies to this topic

#1 Kezman

Kezman

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:10 PM

Well, today I got my Palit GTX260 installed but I have no clue what settings I should choose :o I tried to set AA to 16x and then run FSX but it seems like I couldn't get AA activated :hrmm: Also, what graphical settings should I choose in FSX? Could anyone that uses a GTX260 or similar card show a screenshot of both their nVidia settings (+ nHancer if you have that installed) and FSX settings? It would be much appreciated ;)  

Kind regards,

Kezman :hrmm:

#2 Brandon-M

Brandon-M

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:30 PM

I use a GTX 260 and FSX.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Its all i do, FSX looks fantastic and runs so smoothly

#3 Kezman

Kezman

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:40 PM

Thanks a lot Brandon! :hrmm: Could you still post your FSX "GRAPHICS" settings? Also, do you tweak your GTX260 only thru nHancer or also thru nVidia Control Panel if you know what I mean???

Thanks once again,

#4 Brandon-M

Brandon-M

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:48 PM

Posted Image

I only tweak in nHancer, the Vista control panel is crap :hrmm:

Hope i helped

Edited by Brandon., 05 June 2009 - 12:49 PM.

#5 Kezman

Kezman

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:35 PM

Thanks Brandon! :hrmm: Well, from reading my previous post I can see that they are quite hard to undestand and that I wrote them in complete desperation ;) So, now I'll try to straighten out things. My situation is as following: I bought a Palit GTX260, got it installed with drivers and all at the shop. When I came home I updated the drivers to the latest and greatest from nVidia's home page (at the shop they probably installed the drivers of a disc). Then I played around with some settings in the NVIDIA Control Panel and tried to load up FSX. To my enormous frustration I saw jaggy and shimmery graphics. I then installed nHancer and added a profile called "FSX". I tried to mess with some settings (the ones Brandon. recommended) and loaded up FSX once again. It seemed like AA still wasn't turned on so I checked the "AA" box in-game (I know I should force that with nHancer or the NVIDIA Control Panel). Anyways, I loaded a flight and saw QUITE good graphics, I now know that I'm on the right path :)

So, this is what I have done so far. These are my questions:

1. I'm confused about having both nHancer and NVIDIA Control Panel to mess with settings with. Which application of the two should I use to e.g force AA, AF and the like?

3. In nHancer, when I searched for "flight", a pre-defined profile named "Microsoft Flight Simuator X" showed up. I changed the name to "FSX" and started to customize it. I then clicked "Tools" and "Activate profile" and checked "FSX". How can I be sure that the settings will be imported into FSX? Does it locate the fsx.cfg or what? Now all of a sudden a pre-defined profile named "Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004" shows up under my profiles. How can I hide it? It kind of annoys me... :o

2. I would be overwhelmed with gratitude if someone could post a step-by-step guide on how I should proceed from here (set up nHancer, FSX and the like), I've already got setting tips from Brandon. but more advice and tweaks are of course very welcome!

As you can see everything is just a mess right now but I hope you didn't fall asleep reading this :o I also hope I made myself atleast kind of understood :)  Any advice on how to get this sorted out would be awesome!

Thanks in advance,

#6 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:23 PM

I have a question. What does the "Level do Detail" radius REALLY do?

#7 Kezman

Kezman

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:10 AM

Come on mates, someone must have an idea :hrmm: don't tell me I wrote that mega-post for nothing :hrmm:

#8 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:32 AM

View PostPeter797, on Jun 5 2009, 03:23 PM, said:

ANSWER ME AND KEZMAN :hrmm:

#9 Kezman

Kezman

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:37 AM

View PostPeter797, on Jun 8 2009, 01:32 PM, said:

.  Yeah, atleast Kezman :hrmm:

#10 Striker_jm

Striker_jm

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:23 AM

View PostKezman, on Jun 10 2009, 08:37 AM, said:

.  Yeah, atleast Kezman :hrmm:

Level of Detail (LOD) is just a measure of how detailed stuff like autogen, clouds etc. will be. If you turn it up to high and your system can't handle it....it will reduce your fps.

As for the GTX 260 issue....i can't give any advice on that because I have an ATI card. However you can check out one of the pinned tutorials for more info if you haven't done so already. FSX Graphical and other settings tutorials

#11 Kezman

Kezman

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:27 PM

View PostStriker_jm, on Jun 10 2009, 04:23 PM, said:

View PostKezman, on Jun 10 2009, 08:37 AM, said:

.  Yeah, atleast Kezman :P

Level of Detail (LOD) is just a measure of how detailed stuff like autogen, clouds etc. will be. If you turn it up to high and your system can't handle it....it will reduce your fps.

As for the GTX 260 issue....i can't give any advice on that because I have an ATI card. However you can check out one of the pinned tutorials for more info if you haven't done so already. FSX Graphical and other settings tutorials

Thanks mate! I hadn't noticed that pinned topic before. I read through most of it and learned quite a few new things. The situation is now as following; I have uninstalled nHANCER and I'm forcing settings through the nVIDIA Control Panel now. FSX looks okay, much better than with the 4850. Some buildings, lights and different objects are still shimmery though.
These are GPU settings (nVIDIA Control Panel):
Ambient Occlusion: ON
Anisotropic Filtering: Application-controlled
Antialiasing - Gamma correction: ON
Antialiasing - Mode: Application-controlled
Antialiasing - Transparency: Supersampling
Conformant texture clamp: Use hardware
Error reporting: OFF
Extension limit: OFF
Force mipmaps: Trilinear
Maximum pre-rendered frames: 3
Multi-dislay/mixed-GPU acceleration: Single display performance mode
Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Clamp
Texture filtering - Quality: High Quality
Threaded optimization: Auto
Triple buffering: ON
Vertical sync: Use the 3D application setting

And my current FSX settings:

Filtering: Trilinear
AA: ON
Global texture resolution: Very high

Maybe a tad too detailed ;) But anyways, any corrections you would make to my settings?