#1 morris91

morris91

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:22 AM

Hi,

I thought i would finally ask, I followed a tut on repainting once on this forum and it got me futher than i ever repainted before but it never explaned how to export your repaint from PS & also make it work for both sides.

These are the things im stuck on.

Could anyone help me? Explain on how to explorer it, or even more kindly make a tut?

Thankyou.

-Chris Morris

Edited by morris91, 26 July 2009 - 05:22 AM.

#2 TopDollar

TopDollar

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:22 AM

Are you repainting an aircraft for FSX or FS9?

#3 morris91

morris91

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:11 AM

FS9. Sorry, i forgot to state that before.

#4 Guy014

Guy014

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:15 PM

Do you have DXT3BMP? It's a tool that lets you convert FS files into regular JPEGS or BMPs that PS would recognize.

Once you finish repainting, save the file as JPEG and convert it back into 32-bit textures.

Could you explain what you mean by "both sides"?

#5 TopDollar

TopDollar

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:08 PM

Photoshop can already recognize and save 32bit bmps..that's kind of the point of it.

But yes, you do have to save it as a 32bit bmp.  Before exporting, you will have to flatten the image and may have to vertically flip the image.  I'm not sure of this though, as I never did any repainting for FS9.

#6 Alaska_MD-83

Alaska_MD-83

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:07 PM

To export a file to FS9 save it as a .BMP type file in whatever image editing program you are using. THen open it up in DXTBMP and then save it as a type DXT3, or 32 BIT, BMP image.

#7 TopDollar

TopDollar

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:41 PM

he said he is using photoshop.  Meaning there is no need to use such a program as DXTbmp or image tool.  For best results, simply flatten the image after painting, vertically flip the texture, then save as a 32bit bmp.  I didn't think FS9 supported .dds?

#8 Alaska_MD-83

Alaska_MD-83

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:33 PM

View PostTopDollar, on Jul 29 2009, 02:41 PM, said:

he said he is using photoshop.  Meaning there is no need to use such a program as DXTbmp or image tool.  For best results, simply flatten the image after painting, vertically flip the texture, then save as a 32bit bmp.  I didn't think FS9 supported .dds?

It doesn't support DDS, and in my expierience the exported Photoshop 32 bit BMPs, are not compatible with FS9. I have PS, and I still use DXTBMP.

#9 Chris.

Chris.

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:51 AM

View PostTopDollar, on Jul 29 2009, 05:41 PM, said:

yes but dxt is much easier. it adds in the alpha later seemlessly and produces a mip free 32bit texture. OP, use DXTBMP. save as 32 8888-8888 with no mips in it.

#10 Guest_ĆסּĐзΥ_*

Guest_ĆסּĐзΥ_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:17 AM

View PostTopDollar, on Jul 29 2009, 03:41 PM, said:

If you use this method its most likely that you find problems with the paint in fs.

#11 TopDollar

TopDollar

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:36 PM

I already said that I was unfamiliar with FS9 repainting.  With FSX, I only use Photoshop and the Nvidia DDS Plugin.  Flatten the image, flip it vertically, then export as DXT1 with no alpha.  I always add mipmaps and slight sharpening as well.  I export as DXT5 with interpolated alpha for spec maps though.

#12 /home/fsw_member

/home/fsw_member

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:10 PM

You would save an img as 32-bit if an alpha channel is added to the layer, otherwise photoshop will save it as a 24-bit.

Whenever you start a paint, you should ALWAYS start on a new layer regardless!