7 replies to this topic

#1 Starkweather

Starkweather

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:00 PM

I'm looking for a way to make an aircraft accelerate at extreme rates, say from 150mph to 1100mph in around 2 seconds. I've been looking through the .AIR file and I can't seem to find the value that controls how much acceleration you gain from full thrust. Any help would be appreciated!

Edited by Starkweather, 01 August 2009 - 04:01 PM.

#2 Starkweather

Starkweather

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:19 PM

Ok, never mind. It was right in front of me the whole time, static_thrust.

#3 Tako

Tako

Edited SS Hotshot of 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,650 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:30 PM

Please elaborate on why you would want something so ridiculous :hrmm:

#4 Starkweather

Starkweather

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 03:23 AM

Because there aren't any decent UFO's for FS. Sometimes I just have the desire to fly around in something that can perform "impossible" maneuvers. Pretty much every single UFO I've tried handles like a 747 though, which is why I've started on my own project.

I've figured out how to implement most of the flight characteristics that I desire. You can make, for example, stable and incredibly rapid shifts in direction, even at Mach 4.7. You can go from 4779 km/h to a 10 km/h hover in a few seconds.

I'm still stumped on how to increase the acceleration rate (or decrease inertia) though. static_thrust and the multipliers don't give the desired result that I'm looking for.

#5 Brendan

Brendan

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:29 AM

I like this idea.

#6 Zboe

Zboe

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:23 AM

Try this...

[TurbineEngineData]
fuel_flow_gain= 0.004 
inlet_area= 12.500 
rated_N2_rpm= 7500.000   //this is not meant to be the generic (and grossly wrong) 29920 that everyone seems to use
static_thrust= 325000.000  //change this to suit  
afterburner_available= 1 
reverser_available= 0.000
ThrustSpecificFuelConsumption = 1.000
AfterBurnThrustSpecificFuelConsumption = 1.225

[jet_engine]
thrust_scalar=1  //higher numbers increase low altitude acceleration at the cost of high altitude performance

:hrmm:

#7 _JoKeR_

_JoKeR_

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:59 AM

View PostStarkweather, on Aug 2 2009, 09:23 AM, said:

Because there aren't any decent UFO's for FS. Sometimes I just have the desire to fly around in something that can perform "impossible" maneuvers. Pretty much every single UFO I've tried handles like a 747 though, which is why I've started on my own project.

I've figured out how to implement most of the flight characteristics that I desire. You can make, for example, stable and incredibly rapid shifts in direction, even at Mach 4.7. You can go from 4779 km/h to a 10 km/h hover in a few seconds.

I'm still stumped on how to increase the acceleration rate (or decrease inertia) though. static_thrust and the multipliers don't give the desired result that I'm looking for.
Sounds Awesome :hrmm:

#8 sallu

sallu

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:48 PM

UFO or a space shuttle??