6 replies to this topic

#1 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:06 PM

I was going over the Angle of Attack tutorial video, and I went ahead and downloaded the freeware fuel planner mentioned in the video. http://www.nofuel.th...763/default.asp However, I have some questions about using it.

Posted Image

First off, what is the route distance? Is it the distance from two airports as the crow flies (PHNL to KLAS for example), or the route with all the waypoints factored in, such as this route from PHNL to KLAS:
MKK4 CLUTS R465 CEBEN R465 CIVIT R585 AUDIA RZS PMD DAG KEPEC2
If it's the latter, how do I get the distance for the full route?

Secondly, what is alternative distance and cost index? I'm guessing alternative distance has something to do with a diversion, and I believe cost index was the cost of the flight to time ratio, but I don't know what to enter for either of these.

Thirdly, what would I put as taxi time, holding time, and APU time? Normally, I fly on the FSW Server, so I'm not waiting in a long line at the runway, or spending large amounts of time getting instructions from ATC on the ground. Also, what is extra fuel? Is this also related to diversions or extra time in the air (go arounds)?

Thanks in advance!

#2 Cactus

Cactus

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,168 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:13 PM

The route distance is the distance of the routing as published.
The other type (point to point) is referred to as 'great circle' distance.

Alternate distance: Self explanatory in nautical miles. The vast majority of flights have assigned alternates.

Taxi time: The amount of minutes you plan to spend taxiing
Holding: You probably want 45 minutes as an IFR flight, perhaps additional if you anticipate longer
APU time: The amount of time you plan on running the APU (this requires about 150 kg/hr)
Extra fuel: However much else you want.... just for being special.

#3 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

• Members
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:16 PM

View PostDuke, on Nov 25 2009, 10:13 PM, said:

The route distance is the distance of the routing as published.
The other type (point to point) is referred to as 'great circle' distance.

Alternate distance: Self explanatory in nautical miles. The vast majority of flights have assigned alternates.

Taxi time: The amount of minutes you plan to spend taxiing
Holding: You probably want 45 minutes as an IFR flight, perhaps additional if you anticipate longer
APU time: The amount of time you plan on running the APU (this requires about 150 kg/hr)
Extra fuel: However much else you want.... just for being special.

Alright, but how am I supposed to know my taxi time? That would depend on what runway I need to taxi to, if there is a line at the runway, etc.

Also, how do I find the distance of the published route?

#4 Flying_Pie

Flying_Pie

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:36 AM

Check out the PROG page after activating your route in the FMS for a route distance. Or you could use something like FSBuild, but just just too much of a hassle for me :hrmm:

Taxi times can be pretty generalized. Rush hour at a busy airport, plan for 15 minutes. If it's dead, 5 is probably safe (unless you've got a long ways to go). They don't have to be exact.

#5 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 08:33 AM

30 minutes for taxi time is probably going to be your best bet. For alternates and reserves, I usually go for 45 minutes.

The exact amount in LBS will vary based on what the fuel flow is going to be. Fuel flow will change based on the cruise altitude, aircraft's weight, cost index and atmospheric conditions. The FMC, like any other instrument in the aircraft, is calibrated to assume a constant ISA when it calculates the EFOB for the destination. If the atmospheric conditions are different, such as ISA + 5, then you will need to enter the new OAT for better EFOB calculations. This is one of the reasons why you get the fuel disagree message on progress page 2, BTW.

The enroute waypoints and the wind component will dictate how long you will be in the air, as you will almost never fly direct from point a to point b because the 767's FMC isn't equipped with GPS capabilities. If you have a tail wind, add the prevailing winds to your TAS to get your GS. If you have a headwind, subtract the prevailing winds from your TAS to get your GS.

Practice, practice and practice. You don't have to be precise on alternate fuel as the FAA and NTSB isn't watching you, or are they? :hrmm:

Edited by THBatMan8, 26 November 2009 - 08:42 AM.

#6 Matthewnog

Matthewnog

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:53 AM

Just wanted to drop in and say hi, new to this forum and looking to pick up some tips.

#7 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

• Members
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:40 PM

View PostMatthewnog, on 28 December 2013 - 02:53 AM, said:

Just wanted to drop in and say hi, new to this forum and looking to pick up some tips.

Welcome! :) You looking for tips about the Level-D 767 in particular or just flight simulator?