- - - - -

Help me get a job at Blizzard (Yes, the Warcraft, Blizzard)

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Da_Man

Da_Man

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:23 PM

how about pointing out exploits in a game? such as mw2, in afgan where you can hide in the rocks by the stairs towards the back of the map, things like that, showing you look for bugs/glitches, yada yada

#22 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:28 PM

View PostMr Smooth., on Jan 6 2010, 11:22 PM, said:

If you have no previous gaming job roles etc, it will be very hard. Blizzard are an exprience, no mess around company. When they hire people they go buy what exprience you have. I don't know one person working at Blizzard that doesn't have a degree, especially on the US team. You might say well it's only a game/beta/alpha tester. Thats quite a challenging role, they like you to be able to know the in's and out's of the gaming world plus have some experience in developing games to understand why something is happening.

How old are you btw? Blizzard aim for mid 20s, not sure why. Suppose it's to do with experience.

Write it yourself, they want to know about you, not some bullcrap to try to impress them. No one here knows you that well, infact no one in the world no knows you better than yourself. Be truthful.
Best post so far. :hrmm:

#23 Timmeh

Timmeh

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:41 PM

View PostMr Smooth., on Jan 6 2010, 11:22 PM, said:

If you have no previous gaming job roles etc, it will be very hard. Blizzard are an exprience, no mess around company. When they hire people they go buy what exprience you have. I don't know one person working at Blizzard that doesn't have a degree, especially on the US team. You might say well it's only a game/beta/alpha tester. Thats quite a challenging role, they like you to be able to know the in's and out's of the gaming world plus have some experience in developing games to understand why something is happening.

How old are you btw? Blizzard aim for mid 20s, not sure why. Suppose it's to do with experience.

Write it yourself, they want to know about you, not some bullcrap to try to impress them. No one here knows you that well, infact no one in the world no knows you better than yourself. Be truthful.

This is a no experience needed job, other than they want to see how well you can communicated. It's a temp job. I am 19.

#24 Invisiblemoose

Invisiblemoose

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:43 PM

View PostHysteriantics, on Jan 6 2010, 11:41 PM, said:

This is a no experience needed job, other than they want to see how well you can communicated.
:hrmm:

#25 Timmeh

Timmeh

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:49 PM

View PostInvisiblemoose, on Jan 6 2010, 11:43 PM, said:

This is a no experience needed job, other than they want to see how well you can communicated.

If you see the requirements, they usually say 1 or 2+ years experience. This one they don't mind if you don't have it. If you have it, the better. But this job posting is 4 months old and still active.

#26 roboa

roboa

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:48 AM

View PostHysteriantics, on Jan 7 2010, 04:49 AM, said:

View PostInvisiblemoose, on Jan 6 2010, 11:43 PM, said:

If you see the requirements, they usually say 1 or 2+ years experience. This one they don't mind if you don't have it. If you have it, the better. But this job posting is 4 months old and still active.

I think the :hrmm: was more at the bolded part.

#27 Timmeh

Timmeh

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:18 AM

AH! Haha, I don't know why I do that. =(

#28 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:02 PM

Don't take this the wrong way...it's purely an observation I've made.

Your mind seems to be all over the place...like a hyperactive kid.

A list of what I believe were your past career aims:

- Pro hockey player
- Guitarist
- Airline pilot
- Something to do with making video games/films?

And now you want to do this and are asking us for help? :hrmm:

I would personally advise that you just finish school or whatever and then start seriously looking for a job which matches your skills set...

#29 CombatAce

CombatAce

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:20 AM

Just because a job says no experience required, does not mean no experience will get you in. A person who has experience in the field, will surely get the job (given s/he left in good terms with their former employers).

#30 Timmeh

Timmeh

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:25 AM

View PostCombatAce, on Jan 8 2010, 12:20 AM, said:

Just because a job says no experience required, does not mean no experience will get you in. A person who has experience in the field, will surely get the job (given s/he left in good terms with their former employers).

I said that earlier.

Obviously I shouldn't ask for help here because it seems everyone here is to put you down, whether you think its helpful or not. Thanks guys.

Also, Bean, I AM a guitarist, so I don't know what you're trying to prove there. I've owned many guitars and played for many years. As for being in a band, I have been in one, obviously nothing big, but I have been in a band that has played local gigs. The hockey thing was stupid, yes. Airline pilot is too expensive for me to get to, at least in America.

I've been into how movies have been made for a good 15 years of my life. That includes, filming, acting, stunts, set design, etc. Don't think because of what I post here, that is what I am limited to.

Edited by Hysteriantics, 08 January 2010 - 12:31 AM.

#31 CombatAce

CombatAce

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:54 AM

View PostHysteriantics, on Jan 8 2010, 12:25 AM, said:

View PostCombatAce, on Jan 8 2010, 12:20 AM, said:

I said that earlier.

Obviously I shouldn't ask for help here because it seems everyone here is to put you down, whether you think its helpful or not. Thanks guys.

Also, Bean, I AM a guitarist, so I don't know what you're trying to prove there. I've owned many guitars and played for many years. As for being in a band, I have been in one, obviously nothing big, but I have been in a band that has played local gigs. The hockey thing was stupid, yes. Airline pilot is too expensive for me to get to, at least in America.

I've been into how movies have been made for a good 15 years of my life. That includes, filming, acting, stunts, set design, etc. Don't think because of what I post here, that is what I am limited to.

Have you tried looking at samples of how others have written analysis for that (or other similar) company (-ies)?

#32 Timmeh

Timmeh

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:03 AM

I've only been able to find very few things similar. That's why I wish Blizzard explained it further.

#33 Mr Smooth.

Mr Smooth.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,324 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:44 AM

Sorry if it sounds like it but we arn't putting you down dude, we are just saying the truth. We don't want you getting disapointed. Getting a job is tough, especially at one of the biggest gaming company's. If you want to get into that gaming line of business, aim small. Don't go for the big guys first. Thats like me just getting my ATPL/Frozen ATPL and heading straight for Virgin Atlantic.

P.S, Sorry for any typo's, my keyboard is playing up bad!

#34 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:15 AM

This "quality assurance" position likely inspects game patches rather than actual game playing.

You'll probably need to be comparing this "updated" software code with the previous version, inspecting network connectivity, etc... I'm positive that Blizzard, one of the single most profitable online game companies tendered toward teenagers, is well aware of the presence of teenagers, and adults, who 1) want money, and 2) don't want to do much work to get it.

Quite honestly, "quality assurance" positions in any company are a steal, I mean you just sit behind a desk or an assembly line, make sure the product works, and send it down to packaging. But I'm sure you'll need some sort of computer training for this particular position at Blizzard.

And I see you're in L.A.? You  may want to consider an internship at Apple.

Edited by pwn247, 08 January 2010 - 10:16 AM.

#35 niteye

niteye

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:56 PM

Mid 20's make sense. Younger people are too inexperienced in actual work and just want to play the game. Older people are too old to really have much interest in videogames, let alone be fulltime tester or whatever.

And if it's too hard or not what he thought it would be, I don't think he's got much to lose. If he gets in and it's not what he thought, worse that can happen is that they throw him back out and he now knows more about what work at Blizzard is like, so I'd go for it.

But yes I don't think working at Blizzard means you get paid to play WoW. If you do it wouldn't be with your own characters, getting to level up.