#1 jodelpaul

jodelpaul

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:13 PM

Hi peoples

I have just tried to load X-Plane 9 and alas whilst doing so the graphics card blew on my laptop.  The laptop was within the min spec for X-Plane though not by much and my question is - would the computer just blow if it is struggling with the loading process or maybe say not enough memory etc.  Looks like it could be expensive so once repaired I must give some thought as to whether a reload is on the cards?  Any ideas from you wiz kids would be very much appreciated

#2 niteye

niteye

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:17 PM

Your PC shouldn't ever 'blow up', regardless if you try to play a bloated game on a 10 year old laptop.

The worse that 'should' happen is that the game is abominably slow.

#3 jodelpaul

jodelpaul

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:54 PM

Niteye

Thanks for your immediate response.  Now I have been bitten and as you say maybe by pure coincidence would you be knowledgable enough to advise me on what I need to have as hardware minimum for faultless running of X-Plane?  The box gives details of min requirements but they are generally absolute mins.  Iappreciate that it may well cost a few pennies but it need to be right.

#4 wynthorpe

wynthorpe

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:43 PM

Jodelpaul,

You want to be looking at quadcore and a Nvidia GTX260 for running it well.

#5 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:45 PM

Yeah wynthorpe is right...its a tricky thing upgrading laptops for simming...if you can stretch to it have a look at building a simming pc with a nice size screen. You don't need a mega computer but laptops aren't the ideal things to be simming with IMO :hrmm:

#6 jodelpaul

jodelpaul

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:25 PM

Thanks guys

The laptop option was a last ditch effort as my 4 year old Dell would never have coped.  Reading your info I will have to bit the bullet and upgrade my system to the spec that you suggest.  Looking at what you have said ,if i was to have a system made by a computer literate builder are there Ram etc, etc requirement which are a must.  Sorry if this is boring chaps but boring it may be to you ,to me it's unbelievably frustrating.

Thanks for your interest.