84 replies to this topic

#21 George Bush

George Bush

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:25 PM

Now this is on the internet, the FAA finds out...somebody will cease to smile. However this did make me smile, very sweet :hrmm:

#22 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:35 PM

I hope nothing happens though but I must say the kid actually did very well and he was supervised and could have been replaced straight away

#23 AGuyFawkesMask

AGuyFawkesMask

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:19 PM

We all know this is technically illegal, but we should also know that this happens a lot all over the country (I can't say world because I'm not sure what goes on outside of the US in terms of ATC).

Like iranair787 mentioned, he "could have been replaced straight away." That is the case. And, in a tower, you have to remember that it is not like a radar facility where it's one giant space where people may miss what you're doing, but in a tower, you're surrounded by controllers and at least two supervisors.

To my knowledge, if the FAA found out, which I don't think they will because absolutely nothing went wrong, if they felt like taking any action, I think they'd just slap the controller on his wrist and maybe the supervisor as well. No suspensions, suspensions without pay, etc. I don't think that would happen.

Anything else and the US might be communist.

/sarcasm :hrmm:

#24 206Turbo

206Turbo

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:31 PM

I agree with the above poster.  Beyond the supervisors, the FPL wouldn't have let something like this happen if it wasn't okay with him.

#25 simfgta

simfgta

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:56 PM

wth is this jajajajajajaja thats a good way to keep safety at its best isnt it? jaja

#26 Cactus

Cactus

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,168 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:08 PM

View PostA32X, on Feb 18 2010, 04:47 AM, said:

Love the tone of voice that the flight crews. Just goes to show that they're taking the time to recognise that there is a little guy/girl speaking to them, rather than just acknowledging the transmission as normal and then concentrating on flying away.

It would be pretty hard to ignore it, in my opinion, as most pilots DO listen to ATC instructions (nor is this common) :hrmm:

#27 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:04 PM

Sorry to bring up this old post but I'm watching the local news and what was "Coming Up at 11:00'.....THIS story.

The FAA has confirmed this is under investigation, especially with the news media now spreading the story to the general public.

The FAA has commented with what you normally would expect but the Controller's union has also commented that they do not condone such behavior and would expect better professionalism.

Anyways, just thought I'd update everyone.  10 years ago, no one would have known about this.  Thank you LiveATC.Net! :hrmm:

EDIT: Here's the story: http://www.myfoxbost...-at-jfk-airport

Edited by Alex - MetroAir, 02 March 2010 - 11:13 PM.

#28 Cactus

Cactus

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,168 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:59 PM

View PostAlex - MetroAir, on Mar 2 2010, 11:04 PM, said:

10 years ago, no one would have known about this.  Thank you LiveATC.Net! :hrmm:

The people in the tower know they are being monitored.

Any un-encrypted communications can be monitored. Why do people forget this?

#29 suddste

suddste

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,233 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:15 PM

Well the FAA might find out, it's on the news here, maybe it will be over there too, soon.

Anyway, that was a great video!

#30 Cortez

Cortez

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:21 PM

NEW YORK — An air traffic controller at New York's Kennedy Airport is in hot water after he allowed his young son to radio instructions to several pilots.

The Federal Aviation Administration said it has placed the controller and a supervisor on administrative leave as it investigates. FAA Administrator Randy Babbitt called the episode a "lapse in judgment."

The agency says it has also suspended all unofficial visits to FAA air traffic facilities while it reviews its policies.

The few quick exchanges between the elementary-school-aged child and jets waiting to take off from JFK became public after they were recorded and posted on the Internet. On the recordings, the child appears to be repeating simple instructions given by his father.

CBS News - Kid Directs Planes at JFK

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

NEW YORK (AP) — An air traffic controller at New York's Kennedy Airport is in hot water after he allowed his young son to radio instructions to several pilots.

The Federal Aviation Administration said it has placed the controller and a supervisor on administrative leave as it investigates. FAA Administrator Randy Babbitt called the episode a "lapse in judgment."

The agency says it has also suspended all unofficial visits to FAA air traffic facilities while it reviews its policies.

The few quick exchanges between the elementary-school-aged child and jets waiting to take off from JFK became public after they were recorded and posted on the Internet. On the recordings, the child appears to be repeating simple instructions given by his father.

#31 George Bush

George Bush

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:43 PM

^^ Cortez beat me to it I was just about to post the article :hrmm:

here's the BBC version

US officials are investigating how a child was apparently allowed to direct planes at New York's JFK airport - one of the country's busiest.
The probe comes after an audiotape caught the boy directing several pilots preparing for take-off last month.
In one exchange, the boy is heard saying: "JetBlue 171 contact departure." The pilot responds: "Over to departure JetBlue 171, awesome job."
The boy was apparently with his father - a certified air traffic controller.
The adult is later heard saying with a laugh: "That's what you get, guys, when the kids are out of school."
In another exchange, the child says: "MS 4-0-3, contact departure," and then adds: "Adios, amigo."
The pilot responds: "Adios, amigo."
The pilots on the tape appear to be not concerned that a child is giving them instructions.
The incident happened on 17 February, when many New York pupils were on a week-long break.
The age and name of the child and the adult on the audiotape were not immediately known.
'Not indicative' incident
The Federal Aviation Administration said in a statement: "Pending the outcome of our investigation, the employees involved in this incident are not controlling air traffic.
"This behaviour is not acceptable and does not demonstrate the kind of professionalism expected from all FAA employees."
The agency did not give any further details.
The National Air Traffic Controllers Association said the incident was "not indicative of the highest professional standards that controllers set for themselves and exceed each and every day in the advancement of aviation safely".

#32 206Turbo

206Turbo

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:56 PM

It's unfortunate the controller is going to get thrown under the bus now...after they scrape him up from the road, they will grill him over a hot fire, then maybe flush him down the toilet. :hrmm:

Edited by 206Turbo, 03 March 2010 - 01:56 PM.

#33 aviatordom

aviatordom

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:06 PM

As others have posted, the media has found out :hrmm:

Just heard it on Absolute Radio :hrmm:

#34 bigflyersmallbyer

bigflyersmallbyer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:10 PM

It was inevitable, only a  matter of time.

#35 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:34 PM

I doubt he would get much stick from this. The manager in the tower would have probably known and the kid was supervised throughout. The father could have taken over at any moment straight away if there was conflicts.

#36 Flying_Scotsman

Flying_Scotsman

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:13 PM

View Postiranair787, on Mar 3 2010, 02:34 PM, said:

I doubt he would get much stick from this. The manager in the tower would have probably known and the kid was supervised throughout. The father could have taken over at any moment straight away if there was conflicts.

10 years ago...yes.

Modern day NYC is prob the worst place to to do this.  Danger or not, he should have known better, the smallest mistake the media can get their hands on is enough to make this guy unemployed.

#37 franthree

franthree

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:19 PM

I heard the kid was just directing JFK ground control ATC! :hrmm: --not as potentially catastrophic as the kid doing the actual landings! But maybe it is? :hrmm:

#38 rabbitweasel

rabbitweasel

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:39 PM

Heard about it on Anet but finally got to hear the transmissions. :hrmm: I agree such a major airport as JFK is likely going to bring heavy fire to the employee involved. Were this somewhere smaller like IND or MCI there would have been less backlash.

I guess I won't be making any visits to the ATL TRACON for any tours in my hometown anytime soon with the current ban. :hrmm:

Edited by rabbitweasel, 03 March 2010 - 03:39 PM.

#39 Cactus

Cactus

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,168 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:00 PM

View Post206Turbo, on Mar 3 2010, 01:56 PM, said:

It's unfortunate the controller is going to get thrown under the bus now...after they scrape him up from the road, they will grill him over a hot fire, then maybe flush him down the toilet. :hrmm:

When did Zombie Reagan get back in power?

#40 TheBearJew

TheBearJew

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:46 PM

I have taled to this controller at JFK hundreds of times if not thousands. I will be uber pissed if he loses his job becasue of this!

Like we would folow an improper clearance from a 7yo and plunge from the sky like a lawn dart making a flaming hole in the ground.

Edited by JET_PILOT, 03 March 2010 - 04:49 PM.