18 replies to this topic

#1 Anonymous

Anonymous

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:34 PM

There are billions of cameras in the world today, most of them automatically controlled. As in, you press the shutter and get a pretty low-quality photo. If you're reading this, you've probably decided to take the next step into learning photography, and what it takes to shoot an amazing photograph. Well, if you're ready, read this to get a step-by-step tutorial on what you'll need to know. We'll cover outdoor photography today.  ;)

First off, let's get some misconceptions straight. Many people believe you need to purchase a thousand-dollar DSLR to take an excellent photograph. Know they are wrong, as it's not the camera, but instead the nut behind the viewfinder that determines a good shot. Better cameras will only make it easier to take a better photo.

Today, many point and shoots (this is the name for the average camera that many people use, with a permanently attached lens) have over 10 mega pixels, or MP (How many pixels in the photo. Higher, the more detailed photograph. It's not that big of a deal though). When I first started learning photography with an old Kodak P850, it only had a capability of 5.0MP. This proved to be annoying when trying to take good photos. But I learned and experimented with it, which lead to photos like this:

Posted Image

Look's pretty good, doesn't it? Again, it's not the camera, but instead the photographer  :hrmm:

To start out, you'll need a camera (If you couldn't guess that one, just click out of this window now  :P), and a simple subject such as a candle or plant outside. Look in your camera's manual for information on "Manual" shooting, what you'll only be using from this point on. Also, look for things like "White Balance" and "Advanced Shooting". Be sure to read those topics throughly in your manual, it will teach you many things. Forget automatic completely  :hrmm:

Next, find a place outside where you can place your subject in a bright spot. Look at it from every angle (without your camera for now), from laying down to standing up. Consider the thirds rule - the positioning of your subject in your photograph. See the image below:

Posted Image

See how the bird is place on the right vertical line? That's proper positioning of your subject in the frame of your camera. There are exceptions of course, but 99% of the time you'll want to follow the thirds rule.

Now grab your camera. Set your camera to "Manual" mode, which should have shutter speed, aperture, and ISO settings, again explained in your manual for your specific camera. Here's what they all mean:

Shutter Speed: the speed of the shutter in front of the sensor. The shutter opens and closes faster than you can blink, to expose the digital sensor in your camera. This is what takes the photograph. The speed of the sensor determines 1) how bright your photo is, and 2) how much motion blur is in your photograph. In photography, you'll soon learn one thing does not control one thing; there is no one button for lighting or colors etc.

A slow shutter speed (around 1/10th of a second)  will look like this:
Posted Image

A fast one (About 1/800th of a second) like this:

Posted Image

Notice the blur in the first one. Moving on to aperture:

Aperture: Sometime referred to as F-Stop, this setting determines how much of your subject is in focus. It is the opening inside lenses. An aperture setting looks something like this: F7.1. This is confusing though, because a big number means a small opening; a smaller number a larger opening. Here's an example of F-Stop:

Posted Image

Again, this controls two things: 1) The "Depth of Field", and 2) the brightness of your photograph. Yes, you may use either Aperture or Shutter Speed to determine the brightness, you will learn from experimentation which one to use in whichever situation you are in.

ISO: The sensitivity of your sensor. Higher settings will result in a noisy photo, but an artificially brightened photograph.

Posted Image

Notice how the image on the right has more noise (The speckles or dots in the photo) than the one on the left, courtesy of a higher ISO. Again, higher ISO settings are useful in situations where your only option for light is artificial.

The best way to learn photography is by trial and error. This does this, that results in this, once I do this, I have to do this, etc. Play around with the settings on your camera and compare the results.

The Mighty White Balance

What is white balance? It's the balance of colors in your photograph. You must change your WB every time you change lighting conditions, ie. from indoor fluorescent to outdoors. How to set it manually can be found in your manual. You'll need a gray card, which can be as simple as a piece of copy paper colored completely with a gray colored pencil.

That pretty much covers what you will need to know in order to get started in professional digital photography. Send me a PM if you have any further questions, and check out these websites for even more tutorials, and places to buy cameras and equipment:

Photography.com
BHphoto.com
Newegg.com

For some amazing photography of planes check out Airliners.net and Jetphotos.net

Here is some of my work:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Happy Shooting!

Edited by anonymous, 20 March 2010 - 06:38 PM.

#2 Cortez

Cortez

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:11 PM

Good stuff! I found the F stop and ISO settings very useful, I knew of them, but didn't know their functions :hrmm:

#3 Yeah

Yeah

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:29 PM

keh.com is also a great place to buy used equipment. Bargain grade is great with only the possibility of external blemishes on the lens not affecting lens quality. I bought a 70-220mm lens for $15 and it works great. Only complaint is that it won't AF and meter but I knew that anyways.

#4 Mr. Schutte

Mr. Schutte

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:04 PM

Posted Image

:hrmm:!

On a serious note, some good information here though!

#5 Anonymous

Anonymous

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:22 PM

View PostMr. Schutte, on Mar 20 2010, 11:04 PM, said:

Posted Image

On a serious note, some good information here though!

Good catch!
And thanks :P

@Yeah, thanks for the site. I'll check it out, sounds good ;)

#6 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:46 PM

Good tutorial. :hrmm:

You may also want to note that megapixels are calculated on the maximum image resolution.

Take the maximum width and height of an image that they camera takes and...

Width x Height = _____ then divide by 1000, and that's the megapixels.

#7 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:14 AM

Great tut! :hrmm:

I see your quickly becoming a famous good member here :hrmm:

#8 _TW_

_TW_

First Class Member\Screenshot Hotshot of 2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:19 AM

Very nice tutorial, nicely done!  You've got some exceptional photographs!  In addition to the "more MP = better photos" myth, just look back at images from the original Canon 1D which had 4.48MP! EOS 1D Images

#9 VFR_Pierre

VFR_Pierre

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:19 PM

Excellent tutorial, love your photography. I'm going to take a photography class next year, this should help.

Bookmarked.

#10 Anonymous

Anonymous

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:26 PM

View PostCAY029-Pierre, on Mar 22 2010, 09:19 PM, said:

Excellent tutorial, love your photography. I'm going to take a photography class next year, this should help.

Bookmarked.

It's really simple once you get the hang of it :P Trail and error is most of your learning, as even I have never taken a photography class in my life, and look where I am :hrmm:

Again, I'm just a PM away if you ever have questions :hrmm:

#11 Parachute

Parachute

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:25 PM

I need some help!!

I would like to get a camera to use for everyday use such as taking pictures of friends, cool things that I see, and of course, aircraft. But I don't know what a good camera and lenses to get is. I have a price range for everything to be about $400USD. Would like this to be a DSLR if you haven't caught on.

Someone help me out?

#12 Anonymous

Anonymous

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:49 PM

View PostParachute, on Mar 28 2010, 06:25 PM, said:

I need some help!!

I would like to get a camera to use for everyday use such as taking pictures of friends, cool things that I see, and of course, aircraft. But I don't know what a good camera and lenses to get is. I have a price range for everything to be about $400USD. Would like this to be a DSLR if you haven't caught on.

Someone help me out?

With $400 that's gonna be tight. You'll need a telephoto lens for spotting and a standard kit lens for portraits. Are you familiar with lenses and DSLRs?

#13 Parachute

Parachute

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:56 PM

View PostAnonymous, on Mar 28 2010, 05:49 PM, said:

I need some help!!

Someone help me out?

With $400 that's gonna be tight. You'll need a telephoto lens for spotting and a standard kit lens for portraits. Are you familiar with lenses and DSLRs?
Not at all. I can buy more lenses over time. But for now I just need the camera and a set of lenses for average use.

#14 Anonymous

Anonymous

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:59 PM

View PostParachute, on Mar 28 2010, 06:56 PM, said:

I need some help!!

Someone help me out?

Not at all. I can buy more lenses over time. But for now I just need the camera and a set of lenses for average use.

I'll send you a PM :hrmm:

#15 Parachute

Parachute

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:00 PM

View PostAnonymous, on Mar 28 2010, 05:59 PM, said:

View PostParachute, on Mar 28 2010, 06:56 PM, said:

I need some help!!

Someone help me out?

I'll send you a PM :hrmm:
Thanks a billion.

#16 StunGun

StunGun

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:37 PM

View PostParachute, on Mar 28 2010, 03:25 PM, said:

I need some help!!

Someone help me out?
I'd highly recommend this camera if not a dSLR:
http://www.usa.canon...p;modelid=19210
There is still plenty to do and learn with it, despite not being a dSLR.

#17 Vallen.J

Vallen.J

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:52 PM

heres a website you should check out..  http://digital-photo...s-for-beginners
"The best camera is the one that is with you" - Chase Jarvis

Edited by Vallen.J, 31 March 2010 - 04:56 PM.

#18 shamupilot

shamupilot

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:49 PM

Migrate this to the KB!

Lots of information that everyone could use!

#19 PrivateCustard

PrivateCustard

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:58 PM

Saw this thread and thought I'd offer my help and advice too.........if anyone needs it  :hrmm: