15 replies to this topic

#1 Colonel-Hogan

Colonel-Hogan

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:12 AM

Hello all! Like a lot of you i suffer from poor frame rates in FSX. I get at Least 6-13 FPS while flying in a dense area! I have all my display settings set to medium since i want to get the most out of my flying. I do not have my water effects set high and autogen is set low, but i still don't know why i have poor frame rates. I've heard a lot of rabble abou the FSX SP1 and how it helps a lot with performance, i have not tried it yet but i want to know other tips and opinions on how i can't fix this dilemma. One more thing in FS9 i got 20-30 FPS, im still a tad bit confused. :hrmm:

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
AMD Sempron Processor SI-42
2gb RAM
250 GB Hard Drive
ATI Radeon Graphics

Edited by FSsimpro, 20 June 2010 - 09:23 AM.

#2 jcrouse55

jcrouse55

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:03 AM

A AMD Sempron will not begin to touch FSX! And second this looks like a Laptop and that is a issue as well. FSX will be a big problem for this computer.

#3 slik

slik

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:13 AM

Your processor is ancient, and "ATI Radeon Graphics" isn''t very descriptive. What model do you have?

#4 Colonel-Hogan

Colonel-Hogan

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:27 AM

ATI Radeon 3100

#5 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:54 AM

haha. I suggest FS2002

#6 Ben_1995

Ben_1995

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,112 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:41 PM

I remember playing FSX on that type of card wouldnt even get pass 2 FPS for me lol !

#7 slik

slik

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:00 PM

Yeah, the best you can do with that hardware is probably FS2002 and and possibly FS2004 on low settings. I used to play FS2002 on an LG laptop with integrated graphics and a 1.73Ghz processor, so you should be okay there. I also installed FS2004 and it wasn't too bad.

Seriously though, if you plan on doing any serious simming/gaming in general, buy a new PC :hrmm:

#8 Fabio_Leal

Fabio_Leal

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:53 PM

install ONLY FSX , Sp1 and Sp2 .

the settings in medium-low.

anisotropic and aa only in fsx

#9 Colonel-Hogan

Colonel-Hogan

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:59 PM

Must have not included this, I get 6-13 frames recording with Fraps, other than that i have a wonderful flight experience playing FSX and FS2004.
I want to know how to get more frames recording with FRAPS!!!

#10 Fabio_Leal

Fabio_Leal

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:10 PM

no sync ... and re-sync in vegas !

#11 Colonel-Hogan

Colonel-Hogan

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:38 PM

How bout ImovieHD? And fill me in on Sync-Re Sync.

#12 TopDollar

TopDollar

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:36 PM

For some reason, Brazilian seems to expect people to know exactly what he is talking about without any explanation.

What he is referring to is using the "No-sync" feature in fraps.  Normally fraps records the screen and synchronizes recorded audio to the video.  When the "No-sync" option is checked however, fraps does not do this but rather focuses on making the ouput video have the selected framerate, resulting in a smoother video without any lag.  This however can turn into some wonky results if your computer cannot handle FSX and fraps running at the same time at a high framerate (which most can't).  For example, if you have fraps set to 30fps, and when you start recording, your gameplay framerate drops to 20, then fraps will speed up the footage so the output video displays at 30fps.

However (correct me if I am wrong), I think your question revolved more around how to maintain the high framerate while recording.  The problem is that fraps is notoriously hard on performance.  Mix this with yet another notoriously hard hitting program (FSX) and the results are as expected, disastrous.  For this reason, many video producers who use FSX as a filming platform (including myself) use a variety of tricks to get smooth playback at 30fps.  What Brazilian mentioned above is one such trick.

#13 Colonel-Hogan

Colonel-Hogan

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:53 AM

Thank you so much! The advice helped a ton, I know how FSX is such a CPU draining program, but i don't run the graphics settings to high. In FS9 i had all my graphics settings maxed out and still got a solid frame rate.

I tested out the tips others gave me and it seems to work just fine i now get at least 20 fps with fraps and it doesn't take any frames away from my flight experience while not recording! Again thank you all for the tips and ideas on how to fix my FSX dilemma!  :hrmm:

Edited by FSsimpro, 21 June 2010 - 06:54 AM.

#14 Fabio_Leal

Fabio_Leal

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:12 AM

View PostTopDollar, on Jun 20 2010, 09:36 PM, said:

For some reason, Brazilian seems to expect people to know exactly what he is talking about without any explanation.

For some reason, you seems think many mistakes about me ... and says with  ignorance ... i donīt like your words about me ... if you know all , and you explain only , you makes your work ... ok ?

regards

#15 TopDollar

TopDollar

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:16 AM

View PostBrazilian, on Jun 21 2010, 09:12 AM, said:

View PostTopDollar, on Jun 20 2010, 09:36 PM, said:

For some reason, you seems think many mistakes about me ... and says with  ignorance ... i donīt like your words about me ... if you know all , and you explain only , you makes your work ... ok ?

regards
I based the comment off two posts within relative quick succession of each other.  Both of which provided insufficient information on the subject, making the post confusing.  So observation, not ignorance.  I'm not going to fight over something as stupid as this though.

#16 Fabio_Leal

Fabio_Leal

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:20 AM

ha ha ... good bye , dude ...