5 replies to this topic

#1 Atomic_Sheep

Atomic_Sheep

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:47 AM

Hi guys, ever since getting a new computer, I've been trying to get the X-Plane demo onto my system to give it a whirl. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the installation to work. Is there a d/l somewhere of the full demo in one file rather than using that weird installer that you get from the X-plane site? If not, how can I get that thing to work? I don't have the windows 7 thing that pops up that asks for admin privileges... cant remember what its called exactly but its certainly switched off so that shouldn't be an issue... but basically... I tried installing it... it d/l the files into the specified folder... but there's no .exe file or anything... it's just a 1.4gb folder that is pretty much useless. The installed claimed that it has installed successfully but I don't think it has.

When I click on the installer again, it just says... warning... you already have x-plane 9 installed on your computer, are you sure you want to install it again?

Edited by Atomic_Sheep, 15 July 2010 - 06:49 AM.

#2 Colonel-Hogan

Colonel-Hogan

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:00 AM

Did you press the X-Plane 9 icon... If you don't know what it looks like it looks like this.
Posted Image

#3 Atomic_Sheep

Atomic_Sheep

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:54 AM

That's the problem... I don't have that icon... I had it before this computer... worked fine and everything... but the install folder doesn't look as complete as before. In fact it's just got:

Aircraft
Airfoils
Custom Scenery
Instructions
Output
Resources
Weapons
body (png file)
f-22 cannon (bitmap image)
fa-22a_paint 2 (png image)
vent (png image)

That's it. The installer said the installation was successful but that doesn't look successful at all to me.

#4 Colonel-Hogan

Colonel-Hogan

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:31 AM

Looks Good, just search Finder or Windows Search and type X-Plane 9 and there should be an icon that looks like the one i showed.

#5 Atomic_Sheep

Atomic_Sheep

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:04 AM

The icon exists although it's not called that... its got some wierd URL name but no .exe file can be found anywhere on my computer and the start menu doesn't have the X-Plane 9 folder either... can't remember whether I specified not to put it into the start menu... can't imagine why I would do that as I usually don't... nor is it in the uninstall programs thing in windows. I know its got like that laminar research or whatever its called name somewhere also but no folders like that exist either so strange... very strange... mayble ill just reinstall but I remember I had troubles with it last time I tried albeit they were different issues. Does the fact that I'm using 64 bit Win 7 have anything to do with it by any chance? I tried finding a 64 bit version but there doesn't appear to be one... so maybe thats why the installer screwed up somewhere along the way?

Edited by Atomic_Sheep, 20 July 2010 - 08:08 AM.

#6 Colonel-Hogan

Colonel-Hogan

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:00 AM

I don't have a clue, I ran X-Plane 9 perfectly with Windows 7 32-bit but I don't know what the root of the problem is im guessing it's either an installer error or the file may be corrupt. You can also change the file extension to .exe and see if that helps any.