- - - - -

vaBase or phpVMS?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Iain_

Iain_

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:57 AM

Hey,

I have seen threads on FSW on this topic before, but I never really found much help. I am looking into systems, which may encourage more activity. In my original plans, I wanted vaBase, but now that I've been part of a VA managment using phpVMS, I'm on the verge of changing, but I'm not entirely confident. Could anyone give me some advantages/disadvantages between the two (perhaps caribbeanflyboy since I know you've used both?). I know the obvious advantage in using phpVMS is that it is free...

#2 7-5-7

7-5-7

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:51 AM

phpvms... vabase sucks if you don't know what you're doing with it. I guess I could say the same about phpVMS, however, phpVMS support is great, far better than vabase.

#3 nightfox

nightfox

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:51 AM

With phpvms you have a wealth of addons from developers, It is easy to skin to your likes. Support is real good. The ability to join vacentral, though you can join from any other system, but it is easier to join with a phpvms site. Software updated more regulary then VaBase which i don't think has been updated in a long time. With Vabase yes you get slightly more but for money, like with all payware products. But the support which I would rate a product as being good as being of the highest priority as you will inevitably require support, is not the greatest and have heard horror stories from other users who have given up on Vabase because of the support issue. But if you want to use Vabase it is upp to you.
Cheers
Dan C

#4 roboa

roboa

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 11:20 AM

vaBase service is crap and in all honesty, sometimes the product isn't much better. phpVMS is free, has more features and has excellent support from the guys over on their forum.

#5 Kilo

Kilo

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:06 PM

Read more on the systems before saying the only advantage is that it is free. phpVMS was developed by a professional developer ( holding a degree ) and is not only object oriented but it utilizes the famed MVC pattern. This being said, if you ever want to plugin more functionality to the system later, you can with great ease. The system is also feature packed and actively extended by the community. And if that isn't enough for you it includes a CMS built in as well as a wonderful pilot management system that features ranking, grouping and the works. And if that was all I would still use it , but it isnt. The system also uses a very simple template system that allows you to customize the system using very basic knowledge of HTML and CSS, it also boasts the ability to override default templates so you can basically customize the whole system without touching any PHP. BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE. It comes with an installation setup that doesn't require you to dig through code and it is very efficient code, and nabeel ( the developer ) insures that in 5 years, your DB won't be bloated and your queries for flights and such will return just as smooth as day one. AND YES STILL MORE. The system plugs your airline into a virtual airline market ( http://vacentral.net ) that will show off your data in comparison to others and will show active flights, etc.

vaBase, although being one of the few competitors, is payware and follows ancient design patterns and standards. Does this make it bad, no, but would I as a VA owner want to pay for a system that offers less than its freeware alternative, no.

#6 7-5-7

7-5-7

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:26 PM

Also I don't think vaBase scripts have been updated in years... their main developer quit way back in the day and they're only left with a web designer. Who knows when vabase.com will go offline now...

#7 Iain_

Iain_

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:39 AM

So phpVMS then I take it?

#8 a340-pilot

a340-pilot

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:31 PM

Avoid VAbase at all costs..
The fact Myles didn't develop and does not own the software says a lot about the company.