7 replies to this topic

#1 TopDollar

TopDollar

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:23 AM

The past few days, I have been working on a MATLAB code which can import airfoil data and generate a 3d wing geometry based on some inputted length parameters (such as wing span, root and wing tip chord length, and sweep angle).  The program can also save the geometry to a .dxf so it can be opened in any 3d modeling software or CAD program.  

Here is just a little test wing I produced using a NACA 2412 airfoil (Cessna 172) and I've added some sweep angle.

First a shot of the airfoil itself

Posted Image

And here is the final wing geometry

Posted Image

I've also tested the accuracy of this program by recreating a real wing and despite having a limited number of input parameters, It is able to produce a wing that is extremely close to the original.  The biggest problem being sweep angle (right now my program calculates both leading and trailing edge sweep angle from the quarter chord line instead of doing it individually)

#2 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:18 PM

Pretty cool. I need to learn how to use MATLAB...I can't even get it to plot functions :hrmm:

#3 pieterjan456

pieterjan456

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:40 AM

Cool, you should import it into Catia and see the airflow over it:p

#4 Tako

Tako

Edited SS Hotshot of 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,650 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:25 AM

View PostChief_Bean, on Jan 26 2011, 02:18 PM, said:

Pretty cool. I need to learn how to use MATLAB...I can't even get it to plot functions :hrmm:

Same... :hrmm:

Nice work!

#5 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

View PostTako, on Jan 27 2011, 04:25 PM, said:

Same... :hrmm:

Nice work!
Mmmm, not good considering I'm doing a maths degree and have weekly classes and lectures on how to use it :hrmm:

#6 TopDollar

TopDollar

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:26 PM

Thanks guys.  I actually tested the accuracy of my program by comparing a generated wing based on real world values and original drawing of the real wing.  It's actually seriously close to being spot on.  I could get it almost perfect if I added some more geometry parameters.

View Postpieterjan456, on Jan 27 2011, 08:40 AM, said:

Cool, you should import it into Catia and see the airflow over it:p
Well you pretty much hit the nail on the head with that one hehe.  The aero group at Boeing actually uses programming very similar to this to create 3d geometries for testing.  Obviously their code is a bit more complex, but the underlying function is the same.

If your interested in their program, check out the link
http://www.calmarres...ps_overview.htm

View PostChief_Bean, on Jan 27 2011, 03:11 PM, said:

Mmmm, not good considering I'm doing a maths degree and have weekly classes and lectures on how to use it :hrmm:
I'm actually a teaching assistant for the MATLAB class at our university, so if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a pm.

#7 Tako

Tako

Edited SS Hotshot of 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,650 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:30 PM

View PostChief_Bean, on Jan 27 2011, 03:11 PM, said:

:hrmm: That may be problematic at some point. I took Java last semester, but they moved the entire school over to Matlab just recently.

#8 FightandFlight

FightandFlight

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:15 PM

This is pretty cool. Would you be able to share your code?