3 replies to this topic

#1 dover_6811

dover_6811

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:22 PM

Hi. I am working on creating paints for my virtual airline. I am painting the Project Airbus A318 and I have the livery painted on the full .psd file. but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to correctly transfer it to the actual parts file (the one with all the pieces). If someone could help me with this it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

#2 PrivateCustard

PrivateCustard

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:06 PM

If it's anything like the A320 paint kit, I take it you have one full fuselage psd with the port and starboard sides top and bottom?

If so, this is what I do.

1) Paint both sides until you're totally happy with what you've done.

2) Save the full fuselage .psd as A318(insert livery title here).psd

3) Open the three chopped fuselage .psd files in the background. Use windowed view in PS, so you can see all the windows somewhat.

4) Firstly, highlight the entire of the starboard sides layers and merge them down. Rename the new merged layer as Starboard. Then do the same with the port side.

5) Then drag one of the two new merged layers onto one of the split fuselage psd files (this is why small window view is important). Make a note of key features to match the dragged layer to, such as the overwing exits, front exits, wing butresses etc.

6) On your newly dragged over layer, set the transparency to 30%, and move the new layer to almost the exact position. Then zoom in to pixel level (really really really close. The closer the better) and make the layer match the position of the layers underneath absolutely perfectly. You'll have overhang on each one of the three fuselage psd's, but it won't be visible.

7) When you're happy that everything's layered and matched perfectly, you can flatten each psd and then run them through a batch converter to create the bitmaps.

I use this one

http://www.pairbus.c...i...p?f=7&t=258

When it comes to painting the tail, if you have any graphics that need to match up to the fuselage in any way, the only method I've found is the trial and error method. Just remember to use the 'save as' method so you always have an original with separate layers to mess around with.

Good luck. This one took me a couple of days, from 'don't know anything about painting aircraft' to'wow, look what I did!'

a5frFizsH6M

:hrmm:

#3 dover_6811

dover_6811

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:13 PM

Thank you very much. That helps a lot. Nice paint by the way.

#4 PrivateCustard

PrivateCustard

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:04 AM

View Postdover_6811, on Feb 4 2011, 10:13 PM, said:

Thank you very much. That helps a lot. Nice paint by the way.

Cheers, and no problem at all. I'd like to see the finished work when it's ready  :hrmm: