12 replies to this topic

#1 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:19 AM

Hi guys! I frequently get asked how I create the effects in my screenshots and how i get them to look good. Skills vairy on the forum as to what people can do with their screenshots and many may wonder how other really good artsts get their shots to look so good. Im here to tell you that it isnt hard...honestly! It does require some knowlege of a design program, the one i will be using is my all time favorite 'Photoshop CS2' no matter what PS you have the tools we are going to be using are in them all (as far as im aware). You can download the trial of PS and see how you get on.

Firstly, things were going to cover in this and future tutorials are going to range from Shading and colour balancing, effects such as heat blur, motion blur, rain, condensation and Finishing techniques such as borders and final resizing and sharpening.

Im not going to go into detail about actually taking your screenshot, there are articles in the tech section on Antialiasing and filtering modes, your screenshot needs to be crisp and free of jaggy lines and other unrealistic items such as text bars and 2D panels. Your SS is only going to be as good as what your working with.

Ok, Before we begin...Some of the stuff I cover in this first Tutorial are very basic, and i have made it so that people who have never done this before can identify the tools i am talking about, If you understand them good for you but i though it nessecary to point them out just incase  ;)

Our first tutorial is going to cover the lighting balancing of this screenshot. As you can see it way too dark, and it needs some brightening and cropping, its never good to have too much 'nothing' going on around your shot.

Posted Image

You will need to locate the curves adjustment. This controls the total highs and lows in the picture itself. The line will be void of any points when you first open it, you need to click in the line to 'add' a node. Then i have adjusted the line into a curvature, this tells it to add more white into the darker regions. don't confuse this option with the brightnes and contrast option ( its similar, but you have no control over the tone range that it affects) Try it and see if you can replicate the curve adjustment, you will find it near impossibe  :(

Posted Image

Next Were going to 'crop' the unwanted excess area around the picture to focus the attention on the aircraft. the crop tool is self explanitory, I use this to also cut the zoom red message.

Posted Image

Now seems a good time to explain layers to you all. Photoshop enables users to add layers above the original image we use these to our advantage for filtering effects adding shading, masking areas etc without having to alter the original image, if you make a mistake you can simply just delete the layer and start over. this is a very breif overview of what you can do with layers, theres so much to cover you will pick things up as we go along.

Posted Image

So here were going to create a new layer for our borders.

Use the rectangle marquee to create a border shape at the top of the page, make sure its on the new 'layer2' use the bucket tool to fill the marquee with black, thats it! If you drag the 'Layer2' down to the create new layer icon that you used you will notice that it duplicates what you have just done into a new layer (This is an invaluble asset in photoshop) Finally use the arrow tool to drag your now 'Layer2copy' to the bottom of the page to complete the top and bottom borders. when in place use the menu select > deselect to get rid of the marquee.

Posted Image

Posted Image

At this point the ss is pretty much ready, you can go ahread and save your work as a PSD file now incase you want to change it later. we are now going to flatten the image copy it to a new document and sharpen it before saving it as a jpeg ready for the forum.  

CTRl + SHFT + E will flatten the entire layer format into a flat image, if like me you run a high resolution thats far too big for a forum SS your going to need to resize it. once flattened drag the marquee over the entire SS so its all selected and copy it CTRL+ C, ..as you probably know  :hrmm: then go to file > new, and in the presets in going to use the 1024 width by 768.

Posted Image

And paste it in.
now, CTRL + T activates the transform mode, hold down shift when transforming objects as it keeps everything in proportion this enables us to scale the image, and anything else in ps for that matter on a layer. We need to scale it down untill it fits our page and use the crop tool again to get rid of the white excess above and below. your ss should now look be resized to a more acceptable size and make forum users happy as they don't need to load your 1600 x 1050 gigantic SS  :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

And lastly! were nearly there! Go to Filter > sharpen > sharpen. What this has done is preserve the details that were lost when we scaled the image down, i frequently see people whining about not wanting to crop their SS's becasue they want to preserve the 'detail'. If you do it like this there will be no visible degredation of the shot itself  :blink:

now its time to save it as a BMP or JPEG, I always use JPEG, and i get it close as possible to the 250kb limit we have here it will guesstimate in the save bar what the file size will be, try and get it around 222kb mark.

Posted Image

And there it is, simple colour correction, a nice border and sharpening to tie it off and a forum friendly size.

Thanks for reading i really hope you learn something from this tutorial and get practicing, soon you should be able to pull this whole process off in no more than a coulple of minutes per shot  :hrmm:

The next tutorial is going to cover the 'illusive jet blast' and the most effective way of creaing the best possible result in your shots.

Cheers Dan.

#2 Aharon

Aharon

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,778 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:49 AM

Spam,

You are super cool professor!!!!:hrmm::)

Aharon

#3 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:22 PM

Thank you Aharon  :hrmm: myabe these will help you create more good screenshots.

Also while im replying if theres anything that any memeber you would like me to explain about these tutorials OR a completely new tutorial let me know and ill be happy to make one  :hrmm:

Edited by Spam, 16 February 2011 - 05:22 PM.

#4 SR-71

SR-71

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:56 AM

The same tutorial but using an open-source/freeware program like Gimp or Paint.NET will be very nice and helpful.

#5 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:02 AM

Hmm i have no knowlege of these programs, but im sure the principles are the same...most graphic suites are  :hrmm:

#6 Toyuko

Toyuko

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:43 AM

Thanks Spam!

#7 Romario_

Romario_

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:28 PM

Nice tut man! Is that the CLS 767?

#8 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:09 AM

No its level D dude :hrmm:

• Guests

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:10 AM

spammer

Edited by Toby Werner, 09 July 2011 - 08:35 AM.

#10 Aharon

Aharon

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,778 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:47 AM

View PostSpam, on Feb 16 2011, 06:22 PM, said:

Also while im replying if theres anything that any memeber you would like me to explain about these tutorials OR a completely new tutorial let me know and ill be happy to make one  :hrmm:

Can we please have new tutorial on realistic headlights of the landing gears and wings, please?

I think light yellowish light like you see on the lights of EL AL 744 in my signature.

Thanks,

Aharon

#11 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:06 AM

yes i will make one for you  B)  stay tuned  :hrmm:

#12 Yamachi

Yamachi

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

I have a problem. Whenever I try opening a video with Photoshop, it just shows a white screen. The video isn't loading in Photoshop and it's white. Please helpp!

#13 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

Photoshop doesnt Edit Videos...