Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:24 PM

Hey guys,

I got accepted to Seneca's FPR :hrmm:

http://www.senecac.o...lltime/FPR.html

Anybody on here that graduated from this program? The next chapter in my life begins :hrmm:

#2 Gunfighter

Gunfighter

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:36 PM

Never seen this before...I might be able to take part in it via the Army's exchange continued education student program.

#3 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:49 PM

You should :hrmm: I'll see you there haha. I know that the Canadian Air Force recognizes this as a valid degree program. It has a really good reputation in Canada (Atleast the East coast, from what I know).

#4 suraj

suraj

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:43 PM

hey man congrats! if you can, I would do a little research between Seneca and Sault College. I had the option between both, and I chose Sault college and love it here! It is a very well known program, and from what I've heard (not 100% true) is that employers do like Sault college students better as a whole. But that is just what I've heard around. They are both great programs, but again from what I've heard Seneca is slowly losing its reputation. I would look into this, because you definitely want the best of the best. My one friend has quite a few friends at Seneca, so if you want, I could forward you to them, and ask them of their opinion. Also if you have any questions regarding Sault College, feel free to ask!

#5 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:26 PM

Hey suraj, thanks for the input!

I actually know a few students at Seneca myself. As for its reputation I have spoken with pilots in the industry including one in Air Canada, and they said Seneca is a very recognized school (hence the military accepts its degree), and in general, I do understand the whole tensity between Sault and Seneca and how Sault students thing Seneca kids are "jerks, show offs, conceited". I mean, in the aviation world one needs to have a positive attitude, which is all me.

However, I do have pride for being 90 of like 400 applicants to get in :hrmm:

#6 Cactus

Cactus

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,168 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:57 PM

View PostPeter797, on Mar 28 2011, 11:26 PM, said:

I do understand the whole tensity between Sault and Seneca and how Sault students thing Seneca kids are "jerks, show offs, conceited". I mean, in the aviation world one needs to have a positive attitude, which is all me.

However, I do have pride for being 90 of like 400 applicants to get in :hrmm:

I think that sentiment goes somewhat farther than just between Sault & Seneca students... try asking any commercial pilot from anywhere in Canada what they think of a Seneca grad  :hrmm:

#7 mhockey21

mhockey21

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,516 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:06 PM

View PostDuke, on Mar 28 2011, 07:57 PM, said:

I think that sentiment goes somewhat farther than just between Sault & Seneca students... try asking any commercial pilot from anywhere in Canada what they think of a Seneca grad  :hrmm:
What do they think of them for the American population here?

#8 Cactus

Cactus

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,168 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:45 AM

View Postmhockey21, on Mar 29 2011, 12:06 AM, said:

What do they think of them for the American population here?

Can you re-phrase the question?? What do Canadian pilots think of American pilots??? There isn't any negative sentiment whatsoever.

#9 mhockey21

mhockey21

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,516 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:18 AM

View PostDuke, on Mar 29 2011, 05:45 AM, said:

Can you re-phrase the question?? What do Canadian pilots think of American pilots??? There isn't any negative sentiment whatsoever.
I meant what do the Commercial Pilots from Canada think of the Seneca Graduates? I was asking on behalf of the other Americans in here.

#10 Cactus

Cactus

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,168 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:57 AM

Some people will rant about it more than others, but it is normally nothing more than a pissing contest regarding flight training superiority. Seneca had some deal where one or two of the top grads from each year will go direct entry to Jazz, which normally warrants remarks about how unsafe a DHC-8 is with a 250 hr wonder in the F/O seat. Something about a 5 knot crosswind limitation at Seneca not really preparing them for the real world. My friend (Seneca grad) earns about $1,000 a month as an Instructor, so it doesn't really matter where you do training IMHO.

Either way, haters gonna hate.

#11 Greeney

Greeney

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:57 AM

View Postmhockey21, on Mar 29 2011, 10:18 AM, said:

I meant what do the Commercial Pilots from Canada think of the Seneca Graduates? I was asking on behalf of the other Americans in here.

The same thing we think about Riddle grads... (they suck  :hrmm:)

#12 FL050

FL050

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:59 PM

View PostGreeney, on Mar 29 2011, 09:57 AM, said:

The same thing we think about Riddle grads... (they suck  :hrmm:)

Nah.. we just laugh at the fact that they spend 5x times as much money as we do to get the same jobs and qualifications  :hrmm:

#13 Greeney

Greeney

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:31 PM

View PostFL050, on Mar 29 2011, 01:59 PM, said:

Nah.. we just laugh at the fact that they spend 5x times as much money as we do to get the same jobs and qualifications  :hrmm:

I overflew DAB the other day, it was retarded how bad the radio calls were... I was DYING.

#14 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:45 PM

View PostDuke, on Mar 29 2011, 10:57 AM, said:

Some people will rant about it more than others, but it is normally nothing more than a pissing contest regarding flight training superiority. Seneca had some deal where one or two of the top grads from each year will go direct entry to Jazz, which normally warrants remarks about how unsafe a DHC-8 is with a 250 hr wonder in the F/O seat. Something about a 5 knot crosswind limitation at Seneca not really preparing them for the real world. My friend (Seneca grad) earns about $1,000 a month as an Instructor, so it doesn't really matter where you do training IMHO.

Either way, haters gonna hate.

Haters are definitely going to hate. As for the direct entry with Jazz. I don't believe it's direct anymore. I think it's once your ATPL becomes "unfrozen" you have a "guaranteed interview" with Jazz.

But yea, haters gonna hate :hrmm:

#15 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:49 PM

Congratulations Peter. What's Jazz?

#16 higgi1fc

higgi1fc

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:50 PM

congrats buddy!

View PostPeter797, on Mar 28 2011, 11:26 PM, said:

Sault students thing Seneca kids are "jerks, show offs, conceited". I mean, in the aviation world one needs to have a positive attitude, which is all me.

hells yea dude...thats what it takes!  Nobody says you've gotta be one of those  "jerks, show offs, conceited" people.  You're going to get out of it what you put in, AND you'll be doing what you love to do!

#17 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:19 PM

View PostSwitchFX, on Mar 29 2011, 06:49 PM, said:

Congratulations Peter. What's Jazz?

Air Canada Jazz :hrmm:

It's like the American Eagle of American Airlines.

View Posthiggi1fc, on Mar 29 2011, 06:50 PM, said:

congrats buddy!
hells yea dude...thats what it takes!  Nobody says you've gotta be one of those  "jerks, show offs, conceited" people.  You're going to get out of it what you put in, AND you'll be doing what you love to do!

Exactly! Thanks man!

#18 kruni512

kruni512

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:47 PM

First off, Congratulations on getting in!
I revieved my accepance email on the 22 or 23rd of march from seneca as well!
Im pretty excited about it.
Have you had any previous flight training ?

#19 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:23 PM

training, no. However I fly a 172 every now and then.

Grats to you too!

#20 kruni512

kruni512

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:07 PM

i see isee
so around you from around toronto?
personally from ottawa