#1 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:53 AM

Not sure if this has been posted yet:

We're building from the ground up focusing on the “purist" simmer as well as a larger range of people with varied interests in aviation. We will take advantage of the expertise and existing elements of the existing FS code base and architecture where it fits. After 30 years of evolving the same code base, it's time for a fresh look.

Previous approach to performance was to maintain a long life over a five-year period (time enough for simmers to go thru two or more computers). This approach was seen as a benefit, until now. The side affect was that no PC could run it with the settings maxed out at product introduction. The new goal is to provide a fantastic experience “out of the box" on the first day on your current computer.

We are creating the tools and facilities to enable external content to all users. We recognize we can't do it all. At the heart of the new approach is a new integrated marketplace and we are not ready to reveal the full details on this new concept yet. The basic idea is to make the entire user base more aware of all the third party applications as only a small percentage of the total user base are currently aware of all these add-ons. The goal is to empower the entire user base to pick and choose from this vast number of products available to them.
http://www.cleared-t...crosoft-flight/

#2 Sharpy59

Sharpy59

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:20 AM

This sounds very promising!  :hrmm:

#3 bill0357

bill0357

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:36 PM

That is interesting.

I wish they would show more than what looks like to be Hawaii.

What I have seen so far looks good on the ground and water, not sure about the clouds and sky, but it looks like an improvement.

I wonder how much longer it is going to be before we get our hands on it.

#4 Daube

Daube

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:23 AM

View Postbill0357, on Jul 12 2011, 06:36 PM, said:

I wish they would show more than what looks like to be Hawaii.
Same here, I'd like to see "non-special" places to get a better view of the generic terrain.
For the clouds, it's still the same textures as FSX, which were the same textures as FS2004.
For the water, the beach waves look better, but the general water looks more or less the same. I was hoping for some 3D  water, water that would get dangerous to land on, not that "all time blue highway"...

Also, I wonder if they plan to model the bottom of the ocean, just like in Prepare3D.... that would be cool...

#5 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:13 AM

Some guy posted this on the OrbX forums but I can't verify the validity of his post without a source. Any truth to it or is he talking out of his behind?

View Postmacca22au said:

One point that comes through is that there will be third party add-ons, which is a positive.

However in discussion the MS spokesperson has said that too many users do not know about the range of add-ons available and therefore have missed out on improving their experience over time.  To remedy this MS is obviously considering a version of the Apple Apps Store through which third party publishers will sell their products.  I suspect there is more to the proposition than this simple objective, of equal access for all, and it may involve quality control and even price considerations.  On the up side it might mean that some of the less than well made products will either be better described or blocked, but on the down side it does seem very anti-competitive. I am sure that many of the larger publishers and retailers are already in discussion with MS about this quite different future.

MS have also said that they would not repeat the situation where the software was so far out in front of the hardware that many potential customers were lost, and others started to use FSX but dropped out.  Also the devoted were forced to spend many thousands on hardwsre upgrades and only the most recent cards are now able to make the game run satisfactorily.

So its like the Curate's egg, good in parts.  Our present hardware should be more than adequate to run FLIGHT, but will it also mean that the process of development and ever improved simulation of scenery, atmosphere and aircraft may be slowed right down.  In other words the sim will become a static model of reality, rather than one that grows and improves.

#6 Cortez

Cortez

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:36 AM

Previous approach to performance was to maintain a long life over a five-year period (time enough for simmers to go thru two or more computers). This approach was seen as a benefit, until now. The side affect was that no PC could run it with the settings maxed out at product introduction. The new goal is to provide a fantastic experience “out of the box" on the first day on your current computer.

Great news! I really hope flight will take advantage of multi core processors.

It's great to see MS working closely with third party developers, gives MS a greater chance to be more community friendly. This might sound crazy, but I used to think that MS was too "big" to give a rats butt about third party devs. Glad to see I'm wrong :hrmm:

#7 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:28 AM

View PostSwitchFX, on Jul 13 2011, 05:13 AM, said:

Some guy posted this on the OrbX forums but I can't verify the validity of his post without a source. Any truth to it or is he talking out of his behind?
I think he's wrong Switch.

Nowhere did Microsoft state that their intentions is to kill the competitiveness of the 3rd party addons. I mean this would be suicide to Microsoft because their Flight sim franchise LIVED on payware and freeware developers. So the market for 3rd party addons will always be strong. Perhaps MS FLIGHT will include something like an apps store for new users or those who want easy access. But users will still be given the option of manually going to websites, downloading addons (pay and freewares) and installing them, if these products didn't make it to the apps store.

So I'm not buying this whole apocalyptic theory of MS FLIGHT potentially threatening/endangering the addon community as we know it. If anything, Microsoft is finally beginning to appreciate the very community - ie addons - that kept their franchise alive and successful. And Microsoft made it clear their sims will always be free to edit, modify, etc. Thats what made their franchise unique in the first place.

Infact, Dexter's topic has really enthused me because MS even clearly stated that they want their game to run properly out of the box.

#8 SamYeager

SamYeager

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:09 PM

Most, if not all, of the OP's quote seems to have come from one of the interviews PcPilot has been having with Microsoft. This came out some time in June IIRC so it's hardly new.

#9 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:27 PM

View PostSamYeager, on Jul 13 2011, 02:09 PM, said:

Most, if not all, of the OP's quote seems to have come from one of the interviews PcPilot has been having with Microsoft. This came out some time in June IIRC so it's hardly new.
Calm down; it hasn't been posted in this forum before so I thought I'd share.

#10 Fate01_VUSAFS

Fate01_VUSAFS

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:30 PM

View Post-Dexter, on Jul 13 2011, 03:27 PM, said:

Calm down; it hasn't been posted in this forum before so I thought I'd share.

:hrmm:

I just pictured you saying that in person

#11 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:01 PM

View PostFate01_VUSAFS, on Jul 13 2011, 12:30 PM, said:

:hrmm:

I just pictured you saying that in person
I did as well. I can't take gingers seriously. :hrmm:

#12 _TW_

_TW_

First Class Member\Screenshot Hotshot of 2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:09 PM

Anyone know if it's going to be DX11 or not?  If they are truly "building it from the ground up", then I expect nothing less than DX11.  From the screenies shown though, it's tough to believe that it really is being built from the ground up.  I would expect much more than what I've seen so far..

#13 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:43 PM

It's still in alpha. So sit tight!

#14 BrandonF

BrandonF

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:29 PM

View PostSwitchFX, on Jul 13 2011, 07:43 PM, said:

It's still in alpha. So sit tight!

They said it was almost ready for alpha back in August 2010. I'd think they'd be close to beta by now. Let's hope!  :hrmm:

#15 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:17 PM

View PostBrandonF, on Jul 15 2011, 12:29 PM, said:

They said it was almost ready for alpha back in August 2010. I'd think they'd be close to beta by now. Let's hope!  :hrmm:
I hope not. It would mean they rushed it. This game should only come out by Summer 2012 or Christmas 2012. A beta this year would mean this game is being rushed. Beta would only make sense in January 2012, then a demo, then a release in either July/August or December '12.

#16 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:32 PM

View PostMohammad, on Jul 15 2011, 06:17 PM, said:

I hope not. It would mean they rushed it. This game should only come out by Summer 2012 or Christmas 2012. A beta this year would mean this game is being rushed. Beta would only make sense in January 2012, then a demo, then a release in either July/August or December '12.
I would at least like a "demo". Maybe an island in Hawaii or something. :hrmm:

#17 Jetset

Jetset

Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:34 PM

View PostBrandonF, on Jul 15 2011, 06:29 PM, said:

They said it was almost ready for alpha back in August 2010.

They? Source? Link?

Edited by Jetset, 15 July 2011 - 05:35 PM.

#18 BrandonF

BrandonF

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:11 PM

View PostJetset, on Jul 15 2011, 03:34 PM, said:

They? Source? Link?

http://news.cnet.com...0013915-56.html

#19 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:17 PM

Alpha periods can be very long; there is no set period.

#20 BrandonF

BrandonF

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:23 AM

View PostSwitchFX, on Jul 15 2011, 09:17 PM, said:

Alpha periods can be very long; there is no set period.

True. Was just a guess since it's been almost a year.  :hrmm: