#41 CaptainG37

CaptainG37

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:16 PM

View PostRichard_Nixon, on Oct 15 2011, 02:54 PM, said:

QRH A/P malfunction due to a faulty FCC: Pull it's respective CB.

PMDG 744: There are no CB's.

QRH R IRU malfunction: Press ALTN switch on FO's ISSP

PMDG 744: ISSP not modled

I can go on and on

Oh, I know.  I could to.  But they are trying to make a living and have built quite the fan base.  So I hope they continue their development career and I hope their many fans continue to enjoy their products.  
Just a note to people like "Gunfighter"...think twice before you call another developers product a "turd", especially if it hasn't even been released yet.  If you don't like it, don't buy it and leave the reviews to those who know what they're talking about.

#42 FSXman

FSXman

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:01 AM

View PostCaptainG37, on Oct 14 2011, 11:16 PM, said:

Oh, I know.  I could to.  But they are trying to make a living and have built quite the fan base.  So I hope they continue their development career and I hope their many fans continue to enjoy their products.  
Just a note to people like "Gunfighter"...think twice before you call another developers product a "turd", especially if it hasn't even been released yet.  If you don't like it, don't buy it and leave the reviews to those who know what they're talking about.

I agree with this completely.  I'm not a real pilot, so the aircraft doesn't have to be 100% accurate for me to enjoy it.
Many commercial airline pilots have posted on the PMDG NGX forum stating that the NGX is extremely close to real and congratulated PMDG for their work. That's a good enough endorsement for me.
I enjoy Captain Sim's aircraft even though they seem to have small bugs at times.  I also enjoy Wilco/Feelthere aircraft sims.
I enjoy the balance between realism and fun.  It doesn't have to be 100% realistic, as long as it is fun, but if it doesn't have a lot of realism, it isn't fun.  So there just has to be that sweet spot.

#43 Gunfighter

Gunfighter

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:15 PM

Captain G37, I beta test a lot of aircraft. PMDG set the standard for whats expected out of it. Following close behind it (Im biased of course, but thats simply because I played a big role in developing it), was the ESDG Citation X 2.0. A real world CP on that bad boy worked with me on getting trained up on it, putting it through its paces, taking here, doing this to it there, etc. PMDG themselves got to fly it and they said it was nice to see someone putting in close to 3-4 years of effort on it rather than shoving it off without testing it. THe initial release was buggy but we got the majority of them fixed.

I am not saying anything is perfect, but when real world pilots are saying its the closest you can get, as someone said before, thats good enough for me. Wilco has notoriously produced nothing but garbage...so I think I am well qualified to make that statement in the fact that I HAVE bought it, HAVE flown it, and it still does NOT come close to PMDG or what have you.

#44 CaptainG37

CaptainG37

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:37 PM

View PostGunfighter, on Oct 16 2011, 12:15 PM, said:

Captain G37, I beta test a lot of aircraft. PMDG set the standard for whats expected out of it. Following close behind it (Im biased of course, but thats simply because I played a big role in developing it), was the ESDG Citation X 2.0. A real world CP on that bad boy worked with me on getting trained up on it, putting it through its paces, taking here, doing this to it there, etc. PMDG themselves got to fly it and they said it was nice to see someone putting in close to 3-4 years of effort on it rather than shoving it off without testing it. THe initial release was buggy but we got the majority of them fixed.

I am not saying anything is perfect, but when real world pilots are saying its the closest you can get, as someone said before, thats good enough for me. Wilco has notoriously produced nothing but garbage...so I think I am well qualified to make that statement in the fact that I HAVE bought it, HAVE flown it, and it still does NOT come close to PMDG or what have you.
I can understand what you are saying.  There are many developers who make very substandard products.  I have many of Wilco's products as well.  Their entire Airbus series, including the A380 (both versions).  But you have to understand, you are getting what you paid for.  Their A380 V1 was priced at $14.95.  Did I expect a study sim for that kind of money?  Absolutely not.  Did I get what I expected?  Absolutely.  
But I'm not going to go complaining about it.  I can understand the PMDG hysteria.  I was a part of that for many years.  But crediting one development team at the price of insulting another WITHOUT taking into account what is already stated about the product is, imho, a little harsh.  Regardless of the team, they are still people trying to make a living.  Even Abacus.  Now THEY make some pretty bad stuff.  If you think the Wilco 737 is a "turd", what do you make of the Abacus A380 and 787?
:hrmm:
And besides, even PMDG have made some lite versions of aircraft.  The Beech 1900C and D and the 747-8i.  None of them are "realistic".  Even their earlier 737 wasn't top level stuff.  It didn't even have an IRS alignment function.

#45 FSXman

FSXman

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:37 PM

I'm glad that we have many developers to choose from.  PMDG is the best in my book too, but that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy Wilco/Feelther ERJv2, CRGv2, PIC737 and Airbus Evolution.  No, they are not PMDG, but PMDG doesn't make an ERJ, CRJ, 737 Classic or Airbus, so if I want to enjoy flying these, I'll use Wilco/Feelthere's just fine.
I also agree that the CitationXv2 by Eaglesoft is extremely outstanding, maybe even in a class with PMDG (although the NGX has raised the bar).  If you helped develop it, Gunfighter, good for you. It's a very well done aircraft.
The more developers, the happier I am.  I wouldn't buy aircraft sims from Abacus, but many do and must be enjoying what they have, so all power to them.
This is a hobby and it is all about enjoyment.  Trashing developers doesn't do our hobby any good at all.
If you don't like what they sell, then support the ones that you like.  Even the developers will tell you not to trash other developers.

#46 Gunfighter

Gunfighter

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:49 PM

View PostCaptainG37, on Oct 15 2011, 06:37 PM, said:

I can understand what you are saying.  There are many developers who make very substandard products.  I have many of Wilco's products as well.  Their entire Airbus series, including the A380 (both versions).  But you have to understand, you are getting what you paid for.  Their A380 V1 was priced at $14.95.  Did I expect a study sim for that kind of money?  Absolutely not.  Did I get what I expected?  Absolutely.  
But I'm not going to go complaining about it.  I can understand the PMDG hysteria.  I was a part of that for many years.  But crediting one development team at the price of insulting another WITHOUT taking into account what is already stated about the product is, imho, a little harsh.  Regardless of the team, they are still people trying to make a living.  Even Abacus.  Now THEY make some pretty bad stuff.  If you think the Wilco 737 is a "turd", what do you make of the Abacus A380 and 787?
:hrmm:
And besides, even PMDG have made some lite versions of aircraft.  The Beech 1900C and D and the 747-8i.  None of them are "realistic".  Even their earlier 737 wasn't top level stuff.  It didn't even have an IRS alignment function.

What do you make of the Abacus A380 and 787?
SUPER TURDS

#47 _BD6_

_BD6_

June '10 Screenshot Hotshot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:12 AM

Dare I say it?!? Can I say it mommy!?!?

MONSTER TURDS!!11!1oneone

#48 FSXman

FSXman

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:19 AM

View Postb0gey_dead_six, on Oct 16 2011, 12:12 AM, said:

Dare I say it?!? Can I say it mommy!?!?
MONSTER TURDS!!11!1oneone

Yes, but that just means that someone ate good.

#49 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:30 AM

View PostGunfighter, on Oct 15 2011, 07:15 PM, said:

Realism is in the eye of the beholder. It's the user flying the aircraft that determines if MSFS is realistic or not, not the addons.

#50 FSXman

FSXman

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:34 PM

View PostRichard_Nixon, on Oct 16 2011, 11:30 AM, said:

Realism is in the eye of the beholder. It's the user flying the aircraft that determines if MSFS is realistic or not, not the addons.

I completely agree.

#51 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:35 PM

View PostFSXman, on Oct 16 2011, 11:34 AM, said:

I completely agree.
The addons serve as a tool and nothing else. Someone who is proficient with the 744 can do the same with the default 744 vs the PMDG bird.

There's no such thing as 100% realistic with a simulator. If you want 100% realism, fly the real airplane.

#52 E-mage

E-mage

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:04 PM

View Postmadshjemmen, on Sep 24 2011, 10:36 PM, said:

I like the interior model, and isn't that the place to be flying?
I guess i was late in seeing this, but let me ask, would you fly an A320 with a "very good" 727 cockpit?

#53 madshjemmen

madshjemmen

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:46 PM

View PostE-mage, on Oct 21 2011, 03:04 AM, said:

I guess i was late in seeing this, but let me ask, would you fly an A320 with a "very good" 727 cockpit?

This model looks like a 737CL inside and out ... Although the model may not be 100% correct.  Why did you mention A320 and 727 in this discussion? Thats just not relevant...

I have to say I'm actually looking forward to try out this new model!

#54 FSXman

FSXman

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:47 PM

View Postmadshjemmen, on Oct 21 2011, 03:46 PM, said:

This model looks like a 737CL inside and out ... Although the model may not be 100% correct.  Why did you mention A320 and 727 in this discussion? Thats just not relevant...

I have to say I'm actually looking forward to try out this new model!

I'm looking forward to it too.  When they first released the PIC737, it was cutting edge with a close to fully functional FMC and IRS system.
These "Evolution" improvements should bring it up to date.  I have the PMDG737NGX and enjoy it very much, but this is a "Classic" version and it is also a great simulation.  If you want to fly a "Classic" 737, this is the one to have.

Edited by FSXman, 21 October 2011 - 04:48 PM.

#55 E-mage

E-mage

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:55 PM

View Postmadshjemmen, on Oct 21 2011, 09:46 PM, said:

Why did you mention A320 and 727 in this discussion? Thats just not relevant...
I am clearly being hypothetical. if you believe the exterior of the plane is unimportant then you would probably be saying "yes" to the question i posed.

#56 madshjemmen

madshjemmen

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:08 PM

View PostE-mage, on Oct 22 2011, 10:55 PM, said:

I am clearly being hypothetical. if you believe the exterior of the plane is unimportant then you would probably be saying "yes" to the question i posed.

Of course the exterior model is important, but this isn't that bad? If your going to fly from cockpit... the exterior doesnt need to be 1000000% :hrmm:

#57 IndependenceFAN

IndependenceFAN

formerly uniTED Airline fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,284 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:29 AM

you'd think after 5 years or so they could've done something to the exterior model besides adding a 5-minute fix-looking winglet.   They should have gotten Posky (or freesky or whatever they are now) to do the exterior model. They havent seem to be having problems as a FREEWARE maker for like what? 12 years or something?

way to evolve, wilco!  PMDG is somewhere shaking in a corner from the "competition."

#58 British_Midland

British_Midland

Private Pilot - IFR

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:47 AM

View PostIndependenceFAN, on Oct 24 2011, 04:29 PM, said:

way to evolve, wilco!  PMDG is somewhere shaking in a corner from the "competition."

If Wilco were really wanting to compete with PMDG they would have probably made an NG....

Edited by British_Midland, 24 October 2011 - 10:47 AM.

#59 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:42 PM

View PostBritish_Midland, on Oct 24 2011, 09:47 AM, said:

If Wilco were really wanting to compete with PMDG they would have probably made an NG....
Wilco isn't a developer anyway. They are a producer.

#60 FSXman

FSXman

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:40 PM

View PostRichard_Nixon, on Oct 24 2011, 12:42 PM, said:

Wilco isn't a developer anyway. They are a producer.

That's what I said before.  Wilco is a publisher like Aerosoft.  They don't develop anything.  They publish what others develop.  Feelthere is the developer for the PIC737 and I think they did a very good job on it considering that it has been available for a long time.  I enjoy flying it a lot.
I love PMDG, and they are my favorite developer, but I'm glad that we have other choices too.