#41 HighFlyin

HighFlyin

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:05 PM

View PostCactus, on Nov 2 2011, 08:33 PM, said:

Have you tried driving your car down the highway without any wheels?

There's your answer.

:hrmm: B)  Golden!

#42 higgi1fc

higgi1fc

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:41 PM

View PostAharon, on Nov 2 2011, 03:01 PM, said:

After viewing this better quality view, it is interesting observation that the pilots did not use reverse thrusters to slow down the plane.

Can any real world pilot here on FSW tell me if my theory is correct or not that at precisely splitting second when this 767 plane landed on the runway, the pilots immediately turned off engines to slow the plane.  Right or wrong?

Aharon

You are right.  Our checklist for landing gear up has us shut the engines down as the airplane contacts the runway.  I would assume the 767 is the same. You would not want to use thrust reversers if the engines are scraping down the runway. They probably wouldnt even deploy :hrmm:

#43 Aharon

Aharon

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,778 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:48 PM

Higgi1fc,

Thanks for confirming my theory!!!

Regards,

Aharon

#44 shamupilot

shamupilot

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:40 PM

View PostAharon, on Nov 2 2011, 12:59 PM, said:

For second time and probably more times, you are not reading posts properly.  I doubt you were even born when Air Canada event happened.

I do not care what kind of cars they were racing at that time and I do not care what your silly posts say.  I said that the runway was already converted to racing tracks for Go K-cart racing cars (same kind you see in amusement parks) meaning that the runway was used for Go K-cart racing cars. I never said what kind of cars they were racing at precisely same time when the plane landed. I should know considering the fact I was in Canada during the time the accident happened and all Canadian newspapers were full of articles about this accident which imprinted into my memory for forever since it was very controversial accident because the Air Canada employees simply and accidentally forgot about metric system. I do not need Jon's WiKi link to read explanations. By the way, the article in Wiki about this Air Canada incident is not accurate anyway and your statements are not even accurate too.

Next time, do not bother respond to my posts.  If you want to make silly posts, find somebody else's posts to make silly posts such as childish accusation that I say all FSW members are Americans.

Aharon

Aharon, the Gimli Glider incident (as it is known throughout the world) was a 767 who ran out of fuel due to improper conversions from imperial to metric. That's all there is to it, no over complicated theories no stupid go carts. Although I do believe it's amazing that the crew could land that on a race-track!

Other than that The pilots did a superb landing! I believe one woman said that they could barely feel the touch down.

#45 George1

George1

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:22 AM

An amazing pilot, it was so incredibly smooth

#46 Aharon

Aharon

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,778 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:58 AM

View Postshamupilot, on Nov 3 2011, 12:40 AM, said:

Although I do believe it's amazing that the crew could land that on a race-track!

Exactly one of my main points which was that the plane landed on runway which was already converted to racing track. That is why I remember the headlines of many different Canadian newspapers screaming the words "Landed On Go Kcart (spelling) Track!!!"

Aharon

Edited by Aharon, 03 November 2011 - 09:00 AM.

#47 HighFlyin

HighFlyin

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:23 AM

View PostAharon, on Nov 3 2011, 09:58 AM, said:

Exactly one of my main points which was that the plane landed on runway which was already converted to racing track. That is why I remember the headlines of many different Canadian newspapers screaming the words "Landed On Go Kcart (spelling) Track!!!"

Aharon

Because media is notoriously correct :hrmm: .

Just let it go.

Edited by HighFlyin, 03 November 2011 - 11:24 AM.

#48 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:46 AM

View PostAharon, on Nov 3 2011, 06:58 AM, said:

Aharon
Just so you know, the only thing that made the runway a race track were small guardrails that denoted the edge of the track.  It isn't as if the runway is shorter or smaller because the track.  So when the aircraft landed, it did collide (more like eat for breakfast) with one of the small guardrails.

#49 89-LX

89-LX

Gallery Manager

• First Class Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:17 PM

Amazing pilots. It proved my theory that Polish people are amazing pilots :hrmm:

#50 Cactus

Cactus

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,168 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:50 PM

View PostLA_PHX, on Nov 3 2011, 12:46 PM, said:

Just so you know, the only thing that made the runway a race track were small guardrails that denoted the edge of the track.  It isn't as if the runway is shorter or smaller because the track.  So when the aircraft landed, it did collide (more like eat for breakfast) with one of the small guardrails.

Correct. RCAF Gimli had two parallel runways, both approx 6,800 ft in length. The one runway was decommissioned and hosts the Gimli Motorsport Park. The other runway remains active, and the airport has a gliding school, skydiving operation, water bomber base, and two flight schools. The ICAO code is CYGM.

While both aircraft were B767s and required a great deal of skill, I'm afraid the similarities end there. The crew of ACA143 didn't have the opportunity for hours upon hours of troubleshooting.

FYI, you know you've landed with the wheels up when it takes full power to taxi.

#51 Santa

Santa

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:44 PM

Aharon, you need to understand that this is the internet and that you shouldn't take everything to heart. With this being a forum, we are all free to discuss, debate and counterman your opinions with our own opinions freely. You seem to think that you know everything and I can see it gets on peoples nerves. Learn to take criticism better and just relax. I know it is personal, but to avoid a lot of further flame wars and harassment, you should state your age so people stop assuming you are 13 when you start acting 13.

#52 franthree

franthree

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:05 PM

View PostSteve_Jobs, on Nov 3 2011, 08:44 PM, said:

Aharon, you need to understand that this is the internet and that you shouldn't take everything to heart. With this being a forum, we are all free to discuss, debate and counterman your opinions with our own opinions freely. You seem to think that you know everything and I can see it gets on peoples nerves. Learn to take criticism better and just relax. I know it is personal, but to avoid a lot of further flame wars and harassment, you should state your age so people stop assuming you are 13 when you start acting 13.

Are you back from the Dead Steve? B)  :hrmm: Isad! :(

#53 Brandon-M

Brandon-M

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:16 PM

View PostSteve_Jobs, on Nov 3 2011, 04:44 PM, said:

You childish child how dare you talk to him like that you childy...child...you know nothing of how he is a legitimate business man who travels to Las Vegas all the time.

Gosh.

On topic: Amazing video and glad that nothing bad happened!

Also I had a question...so they are going to be putting her back into use? How can they be sure there are no cracks/damage in the airframe after a landing such as this?

Edited by Brandon_, 03 November 2011 - 08:23 PM.

#54 Cactus

Cactus

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,168 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:33 PM

View PostBrandon_, on Nov 3 2011, 09:16 PM, said:

How can they be sure there are no cracks/damage in the airframe after a landing such as this?

Well, they have Boeing engineers inspect the airframe as such an irregular circumstance falls well outside the average structural repair manual. As a Boeing customer, the manufacturer will provide field support when warranted.

#55 Flying_Scotsman

Flying_Scotsman

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:13 AM

:hrmm:

Edited by Dr...Watson, 04 November 2011 - 01:17 AM.

#56 89-LX

89-LX

Gallery Manager

• First Class Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:26 AM

Brandon_, on Nov 3 2011, 09:16 PM, said:

Also I had a question...so they are going to be putting her back into use? How can they be sure there are no cracks/damage in the airframe after a landing such as this?

NDT. Non destructive testing. They will take x-rays of the airframe to examine the bulkheads and structural integrity other aircraft.

Edited by 89-LX, 04 November 2011 - 06:28 AM.

#57 - M.Parker -

- M.Parker -

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:21 PM

There is actually an Air Disasters (or something similar) episode about the Gilmi Glider incident on YouTube. It's actually a really interesting story. According to the episode the runway had been converted to a quarter mile drag racing track.

#58 Jarczynski

Jarczynski

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:10 AM

Posted Image

Boeing have an AOG team in Warsaw working on getting SP-LPC back in the air... though given all the negative coverage to how unlucky she is questions remain as to whether that will be with LOT!

Would any of you not have slight doubts if you were boarding a LOT 767 and suddenly noticed "that" reg number?  :hrmm:

#59 SargeJr3

SargeJr3

Gallery Manager

• Gallery Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,067 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:46 AM

View PostJarczynski, on Nov 6 2011, 07:10 AM, said:

Posted Image

Boeing have an AOG team in Warsaw working on getting SP-LPC back in the air... though given all the negative coverage to how unlucky she is questions remain as to whether that will be with LOT!

Would any of you not have slight doubts if you were boarding a LOT 767 and suddenly noticed "that" reg number?  :hrmm:

Typically don't notice the reg numbers, so quite honestly, I wouldn't worry too much.

#60 HighFlyin

HighFlyin

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:39 AM

B)

View PostJarczynski, on Nov 6 2011, 09:10 AM, said:

Posted Image

Boeing have an AOG team in Warsaw working on getting SP-LPC back in the air... tho ugh given all the negative coverage to how unlucky she is questions remain as to whether that will be with LOT!

After watching a Mayday episode of what happened to China Airlines Flight 611, my answer would be yes, definitely!