4 replies to this topic

#1 Mumbles

Mumbles

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:28 PM

I tried to send you this PM, but it wouldn't let me. I guess that's ok, maybe other people have information as well.

Hey I noticed you have an i5-2500k and an H60 at 4.6Ghz. Actually, seeing some of your screenshots and you specs made me decide to grab an i5-2500k and an H60. I just have a few questions about it.

Right now I've got it at 4.5Ghz, but it runs a little warm (in the 50s at idle or on the internet). I think this is because I applied too much thermal paste. I'll re-paste when I get my new corsiar case and SP120 fans. My question is on your OC did you have to mess with any voltages? Did you turn off all of the power saving features? I've seen a lot of people say they get 4.5Ghz without needing to touch vcore etc, but I'm not too sure what to do, I'm still pretty new to the overclocking stuff. Also, what temps do you get?

I was thinking about pushing 5.0Ghz as I've seen people say they've got it on air, but FSX runs 30/30fps, very smooth, in the NGX VC at some payware airports so it probably isn't worth trying to go that high.

#2 _TW_

_TW_

First Class Member\Screenshot Hotshot of 2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:35 PM

My inbox is full, sorry about that.  Did you not use the thermal paste that was pre-applied to the H60?  50*C idle is definitely not good and needs to be looked at before you even start overclocking.  

At the present time I have the 2500K at 4.6GHz with 1.285v for the CPU set in the BIOS, but after vdroop it's about 1.26v.  Anyway, with all the power saving features turned off (Affects stability when overclocked), my idle temp is around 28*C and load temp (using OCCT stress test program) is around 60*C.  That's with the stock thermal paste.

ACTUALLY - I did have this problem when I first installed the H60....my temps were crazy high and I couldn't figure out why.  So then I realized that I didn't actually tighten down the block all the way and because of the poor contact to the CPU, the temps were really high.  Ever since I tightened it down all the way my temps have been stellar.  The H60 even keeps the 2500K under worrying temps at 5.2GHz (for me anyway) !

#3 Mumbles

Mumbles

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:44 AM

It had the stock thermal paste, but one of the screws broke and I had to take it off and order a new hardware kit, so when I put it on I had to redo the thermal paste and I was in hurry. I'll see if I can get it tighter without breaking another screw!

Thanks!

#4 Mumbles

Mumbles

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:11 PM

My Corsair 300R and my SP120 fans arrived. I put the H60 in a push/pull config and I reapplied the back plate (had it on wrong) and thermal paste. My temps went down about 8 degrees C and 5 after it sat running. Still sitting higher than I want, low 40's. My vcore is at 1.32/1.33. Other than lowering that I'm not sure what else would help here.

Anyway, here it is. This is also my first case that allowed me to route cables behind the motherboard. Not as pretty as I hoped but MUCH better than my old case.

Posted Image

#5 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:12 AM

Clean off the thermal paste really well with alcohol and apply a sunflower sized blob of thermal paste.

Also tagged with i5-2500k, intel, Corsair H60