LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

View PostAharon, on 21 January 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

Saarth,

I would go for 750 GB or 1TB hard drive at 7,200 rpm.

Aharon

Why? Agree on the 7,200 rpm but he already noted he plans on getting that. Size of a hard drive has no effect on the performance of the system. If all he thinks he needs is a 500 GB hard drive, no need to put the extra money towards more space.

#22 learjet45dream

learjet45dream

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,855 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

View PostLA_PHX, on 21 January 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

Why? Agree on the 7,200 rpm but he already noted he plans on getting that. Size of a hard drive has no effect on the performance of the system. If all he thinks he needs is a 500 GB hard drive, no need to put the extra money towards more space.

+1 to what Alex said. And to add to it, a SSD would make offer a performance gain. Not an increase in hard drive storage.

#23 Aharon

Aharon

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,778 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

LA PHX,

Where did I say that size of hard drive has effect on FSX performance or the laptop's system performance????

You will be surprised how fast a user can use up 500GB hard drive.  I have seen many FSX users using up almost 1 TB for FSX due to many sceneries and payware add on planes.

Plus did you ask him if he wants to download music,  photos and photo editing,  office work,  etc etc etc????

Aharon

#24 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

View PostAharon, on 21 January 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

LA PHX,

Where did I say that size of hard drive has effect on FSX performance or the laptop's system performance????

You will be surprised how fast a user can use up 500GB hard drive.  I have seen many FSX users using up almost 1 TB for FSX due to many sceneries and payware add on planes.

Plus did you ask him if he wants to download music,  photos and photo editing,  office work,  etc etc etc????

Aharon

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Edited by LA_PHX, 21 January 2013 - 06:52 PM.

#25 SargeJr3

SargeJr3

Gallery Manager

• Gallery Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,067 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

I have a couple computers with 500gb hardrives....anything worth keeping is on an external driver.  I rarely have any of the drives in my computers more than 50% full.  I would be happy with 320gb drives.

#26 Saarth

Saarth

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

The 500GB drive would be sufficient for me. I use a macbook for work/college/music etc., intact I have another separate system for music and editing as I'm a musician as well, and everything else is on an external hard drive. That's why I didn't go for a bigger drive in this system.

:)

#27 HighFlyin

HighFlyin

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

A few years ago I was looking at the M17x. Then I found out it weights 13 pounds and has a battery life of 45 mins. Needless to say I passed on that.

#28 Aharon

Aharon

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,778 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

View PostSaarth, on 22 January 2013 - 08:37 AM, said:

The 500GB drive would be sufficient for me. I use a macbook for work/college/music etc., intact I have another separate system for music and editing as I'm a musician as well, and everything else is on an external hard drive. That's why I didn't go for a bigger drive in this system.

ahhhh  Saarth answered the reason for 500 GB.  You are then correct!!!  Happy shopping and enjoy your new laptop in good health!!!

Aharon

#29 Saarth

Saarth

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

So its finally here! Couldn't be more excited!

Now I need you guys to help me set it up FSX. I haven't installed it yet, but I read there's even a "recommended procedure" for that, which goes install FSX > Do test flight > Reboot > Install Acceleration > Reboot, and what not.

Also that you should install FSX not in Program Files but under its own folder in C Drive.

Help?

#30 Jonay

Jonay

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

View PostSaarth, on 02 February 2013 - 09:31 AM, said:

So its finally here! Couldn't be more excited!

Now I need you guys to help me set it up FSX. I haven't installed it yet, but I read there's even a "recommended procedure" for that, which goes install FSX > Do test flight > Reboot > Install Acceleration > Reboot, and what not.

Also that you should install FSX not in Program Files but under its own folder in C Drive.

Help?

Install using the sequence you outlined above.

As for the installing in a different directory - one of our own members (PrivateCustard) did this and is extremely happy with the performance.

http://www.flightsim...50#entry2490050

#31 N200PW

N200PW

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:41 AM

just for clarification though... a desktop 660ti is a great card right? it should be able to do everything FSX throws at you...

#32 _TW_

_TW_

First Class Member\Screenshot Hotshot of 2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

View PostN200PW, on 04 February 2013 - 03:41 AM, said:

just for clarification though... a desktop 660ti is a great card right? it should be able to do everything FSX throws at you...

Yes, the desktop version is a very good card.