3 replies to this topic

#1 Iain_

Iain_

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:08 AM

Reports came in yesterday of a Kenn Borek Twin Otter missing in Antartica, later revealed today that it has been located on a steep slope near Mount Elizabeth and has been described as 'unsurvivable'.

On Jan 24th The Canadian TSB rated the occurrence an accident and reported an ELT transmitter was received from position S83.9187 E168.7640. Search and Rescue efforts were underway.

On Jan 24th New Zealand's Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand (RCCNZ) reported the location is at 3900 meters/13000 feet of altitude about half way between South Pole and McMurdo Station (370nm distance each). The ELT stopped transmitting during the night to Jan 25th (New Zealand local time).

On Jan 26th RCCNZ reported that two helicopters reached the crash site, which is located on a very steep slope at 13,000 feet MSL near the summit of Mount Elizabeth, the impact on the slope was not surviveable. It was not possible for the helicopters to land, the site has been surveyed. The Rescue coordinator said it was very sad end to the operation.

More at http://www.avherald....=45cad699&opt=0

#2 Cactus

Cactus

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,168 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

A significant loss to our aviation community here in Canada. Condolences to friends, family, and those at Kenn Borek during this sad time.

#3 divemaster08

divemaster08

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

Really sad to hear this. I see those birds fly in and out of our Airport on their journeys to and from Antarctica. Gonna miss that 1 now.... and the crew.

I have always thought if I could fly the Twin Otter (here in the Caymans for our local airline) and if they would allow me, I would love to fly a term down there. Such a different environment and experience.

#4 Brandon-M

Brandon-M

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

This has been in the news for the last while here in Calgary :( Not what we like to hear