8 replies to this topic

#1 FlightGear

FlightGear

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Flight Gear is an all-in-one Android app that contains backup flight instruments, important calculators, and other useful utilities for pilots. Instead of having to download and pay for multiple aviation apps, pilots can simply download this single app as a consolidated source for all their needs.

http://play.google.c...flightgear_free

FEATURES:
  • Airport Facility Directory -- Comes with a complete directory of all the information that the FAA publishes for US airports. The directory is built into the app and is available for offline use (no internet required). It includes information such as airport hours, radio frequencies, obstacles, runway diagrams, and other miscellaneous information.
  • Photorealistic Attitude Indicator (Uses gyroscope/accelerometer). Can serve as a backup instrument in case your cockpit instrument fails.
  • Photorealistic Heading Indicator.
  • Weight & Balance calculator. Instead of having to calculate your moments and CG by hand every time you fly, you can simply save your aircraft's profile (Empty weight, CG Limits, Fuel Consumption, Arm Lengths, etc) and reuse the data that doesn't change. The app will also alert you if you go out of your aircraft's CG Limits or Max Takeoff Weight. Supports multiple aircraft.
  • Handy E6B Calculator functions. Enter your values and the tool will convert them to every type of parameter that it can think of. Currently includes Wind Correction Angle, Crosswind Calculator, distance, volume (Jet A1, Jet A, and AVGAS 100LL), True Airspeed Conversion, and Speed. If you'd like to see another tool added, please email or PM me!
  • Fuel timer. Use it as a supplement to your fuel gauges to estimate how much time you left in the air. Enter your total tank capacity, current fuel levels and your GPH rating. The app will start a countdown timer and also automatically alert you when you have 30 mins left.
  • Flight timer. A simple and attractive alternative to having to carry around another gadget with you whenever you fly. Displays Zulu Time underneath the Elapsed Flight Time for quick reference.
  • Dashboard: View your Attitude Indicator, Heading Indicator, Fuel Timer, and Flight Timer all in one screen.
  • Auto ATC Notepad [BETA]: Currently in BETA, but it works relatively well. Whenever you get a call from ATC, simply tap on the record button and everything you readback to ATC will be transcribed onto the app. Again, this feature is still being trained to understand every type of Aviation lingo so it may be a bit off at times.
  • Manual ATC Notepad: If the Auto ATC Notepad isn't a viable option for you, you can simply set your assigned instructions in this tool by swiping through the most common parameters (altitude, speed, heading). You can also take miscellaneous notes in the same tool if ATC gives you special instructions.
Since this app just came out, I'm definitely open for suggestions and improvements. If you'd like to see a certain feature implemented or changed, email me at youforgotwhat@gmail.com or PM me.

#2 flare

flare

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:20 AM

Says my HTC One X isn't compatible?

#3 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

Not all android apps work across all devices.  It works on my Droid Bionic, and it's a pretty cool app, though I think a bit can be improved on.  The attitude director lags, and the heading indicator is too sensitive.  Aside from that, it's a big download, and you have the download the AF/D app separately, which is another big download.

#4 FlightGear

FlightGear

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

@flare: The app is compatible with your phone... however, I haven't released it on international markets (it only works in the US right now. Export tax laws are a hassle to handle without an accountant and I need to generate a decent revenue from the app before I can hire one and expand to overseas markets). Sorry about that. :/

@_NW_: Could you explain what you mean by lag? Does it happen for both pitch and roll? I tested it out the Samsung GS3, GS2, Nexus 7, Note 2, and Tab 10.1 and they all seemed to work fine. Also, there's only one big download. The app without the A F/D is only around 5MB, but adding the full information files from the FAA takes up about 120MB. There aren't two separate large downloads. What you see when you tap on the A F/D for the first time is the app extracting the A F/D files from the package it downloaded along with the app.

If anyone has any more questions or comments, feel free to post here. :)

#5 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

Yes, both pitch and roll.  I don't mean graphically, I just mean the attitude lags behind the actual pitch/bank of the phone, matter if it's vertical or in horizontal mode.  I think it's done this way for smoothness?  A full 90 degree bank takes about 5 seconds to go level.

I would also edit the HSI graphic.  IRL, the red bar means it's thrown a flag, there's a fault, and it shouldn't be used.  I know it's just a picture, but it's kinda annoying having the flag rotate with the heading.  There shouldn't be a flag at all.

#6 FlightGear

FlightGear

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

Ahh yes, I did do that for smoothness. The complimentary filter that I used causes this behavior (without it, the motion of the ADI is extremely jerky and unusable). It shouldn't be that big of a problem in real flight though. Unless you're in an aerobatic aircraft, you won't be rolling in and out of a bank in less than 5 seconds (or I haven't done that yet atleast), so the lag won't be that noticible (if noticable at all).

I actually put that red flag in there to remind the user that the heading indicator should only be used as reference and not as full replacement to his/her onbaord heading indicator (except in absolute emergencies with no other options remaining). :D I guess its kind of confusing though... I probably take it off in the next update.

Edited by FlightGear, 30 January 2013 - 05:22 PM.

#7 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:33 AM

That's what I figured.  But regarding the red flag...  it should be stationary to the frame of the instrument, not the rotating dial.

All in all, it's a pretty cool little app.

#8 flare

flare

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:48 AM

Oh that's a shame, was looking forward to trying it out, hope you can get it available to Europe etc...

#9 Iain_

Iain_

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

I use X-Plane 9 on my phone, need to try this out