#1 89-LX

89-LX

Gallery Manager

• First Class Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:04 AM

POPULAR

CAT II landing, me flying, light (no passengers), with a crosswind of 7 knots. RVR was reported to be between 1200-2000 in touchdown and mid point, 4000 rollout.

Static take off, full thrust, no passengers with a climb to 16,000 in less than 3 minutes...

Edited by 89-LX, 23 February 2013 - 03:05 AM.

#2 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:27 AM

Honestly not impressed by the first video - Aharon does that in FSX all the time.

#3 89-LX

89-LX

Gallery Manager

• First Class Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:31 AM

And I know 7 knots isn't much, but there is a limitation of 15 for CAT II landings. And landing light is very hard, but it was actually a smooth landing.

#4 higgi1fc

higgi1fc

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

Sick videos man, where was that landing?  Seemed like a crappy appch lighting system for a Cat II runway (MALSR?)  Is that fairly common?  We aren't certed for Cat II, so never get to fly em.

#5 Aharon

Aharon

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,778 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

89-LX,

Very nice videos!!!!  Two quick questions, please.  When you said no passengers,  did you mean "ferry flights" without passengers to move planes to other airports or did you mean that the revenue regular scheduled flights happened to be empty?  I remember on few occasions that I flew on flights that were 99 percent empty.  One early Saturday morning DC-9 flight from NY to CYUL via Air Canada was empty except for me and 3 passengers.  Same thing for Air Canada DC-9 flight from CYUL to CYOW.   Also I flew on American Airlines flight from Barbados to Trinidad and that was only 5 passengers including me on the 727 flight!!! Same thing for the 727 return flight!!!

Second question was about your first video which was extremely dark in airport. How come the headlights in your airline plane's front landing gear were not shining light on runway and taxiway?

Regards,

Aharon

Edited by Aharon, 23 February 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#6 89-LX

89-LX

Gallery Manager

• First Class Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

View Posthiggi1fc, on 23 February 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

Sick videos man, where was that landing?  Seemed like a crappy appch lighting system for a Cat II runway (MALSR?)  Is that fairly common?  We aren't certed for Cat II, so never get to fly em.

Local airport. Its a MALSR and not CAT II approach lights, but when we hit the final approach fix, the weather was above CAT I mins. Once we got inside, the weather dropped to an RVR of 1200V2000 but we were already inside of the FAF so we could continue. All of our airframes and crews are CAT II certified, unless a MEL depicts otherwise.

View PostAharon, on 23 February 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

89-LX,

Very nice videos!!!!  Two quick questions, please.  When you said no passengers,  did you mean "ferry flights" without passengers to move planes to other airports or did you mean that the revenue regular scheduled flights happened to be empty?  I remember on few occasions that I flew on flights that were 99 percent empty.  One early Saturday morning DC-9 flight from NY to CYUL via Air Canada was empty except for me and 3 passengers.  Same thing for Air Canada DC-9 flight from CYUL to CYOW.   Also I flew on American Airlines flight from Barbados to Trinidad and that was only 5 passengers including me on the 727 flight!!! Same thing for the 727 return flight!!!

Second question was about your first video which was extremely dark in airport. How come the headlights in your airline plane's front landing gear were not shining light on runway and taxiway?

Regards,

Aharon

Ferry reporition flight from one airport to another because we would time out (16+ hr duty day) if we continued our schedule. So we cancelled flights and moved the airplane back to domicile.

For CAT II landings, the lights are off. Otherwise it would drown out the approach lights and blind us in the clouds low to the ground.

#7 AmericanAirFan

AmericanAirFan

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

Great video man! I love it. Looks like you're enjoying yourself there!

#8 Cactus

Cactus

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,168 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:14 AM

View PostAharon, on 23 February 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

How come the headlights in your airline plane's front landing gear were not shining light on runway and taxiway?

Next time you go flying, make sure to ask the pilot where the headlight switch is. :pointnlaf:

#9 Aharon

Aharon

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,778 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

View Post89-LX, on 23 February 2013 - 01:15 PM, said:

For CAT II landings, the lights are off. Otherwise it would drown out the approach lights and blind us in the clouds low to the ground.

Thanks for this interesting and valuable explanation!!!

Regards,

Aharon

#10 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

Great vids!  It's always so weird to see nothing but lights come out of nowhere

#11 HighFlyin

HighFlyin

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

View PostAharon, on 24 February 2013 - 10:03 AM, said:

Thanks for this interesting and valuable explanation!!!

Regards,

Aharon

More common sense really. Do you you flick on your brights when driving through thick fog? No, and it's for the same reason.

#12 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

View PostHighFlyin, on 24 February 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

More common sense really. Do you you flick on your brights when driving through thick fog? No, and it's for the same reason.

You must be new to driving...   they don't teach common sense in drivers ed, and I hate it when people drive around in fog with their brights on.  Ignorant punks.

David, what gives with the ERJ-170 title? :P

#13 89-LX

89-LX

Gallery Manager

• First Class Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:28 AM

View Post_NW_, on 24 February 2013 - 08:47 PM, said:

You must be new to driving...   they don't teach common sense in drivers ed, and I hate it when people drive around in fog with their brights on.  Ignorant punks.

David, what gives with the ERJ-170 title? :P

Where does it say ERJ? lol. We had the F/A up front, and when he uploaded it to youtube, he wrote ERJ-700. I changed it to CRJ-700, but it still sometimes shows ERJ.

#14 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

Ah nope you fixed it ;)

And you're right, it did say ERJ-700.  Not anymore though

Edited by _NW_, 25 February 2013 - 12:15 PM.

#15 shamupilot

shamupilot

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

Nice videos dude, I was surprised when the approach lights came out of nowhere in the first video, and nice landing, looked like fun :P

#16 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:59 AM

View Post89-LX, on 23 February 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

And I know 7 knots isn't much, but there is a limitation of 15 for CAT II landings. And landing light is very hard, but it was actually a smooth landing.

Is that company SOP?

#17 89-LX

89-LX

Gallery Manager

• First Class Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:46 AM

View PostPeter797, on 26 February 2013 - 12:59 AM, said:

Is that company SOP?

Aircraft. All aircraft has headwind, tailwind, and crosswind limitations for CAT II due to not having the same amount of time and visability to adjust to wind correction angle at the last second.