#1 pieterjan456

pieterjan456

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:48 AM

Hi all,

I used to have a canon EOS which I took with me to travel (I travel as much as possible!). But I noticed i never used it and just let it in my closet at the hostel because of being too heavy to carry around all day and being too large.

Now a year or 2 later I started to look at some other camera's: the 4/3 mirrorless ones, which seem compact, yet produce good quality pics (at least for their size!). But now I want to decide which one I'll take and it seems there are so many choices.
I'm still doubting between 2 brands: the panasonic lumix gf or gx series or the olympus series. It of course depends on which camera of that series you take, but I wondered does anyone has expierence with any of those 4/3 brands?
If I read reviews they seem to be enthusiastic about both brands. I especially looked at the lumix gf3 (is an older one but not expensive nowadays), or the Olympus pen series
Both users seem to be enthousiastic about it, and it's very difficult as an outsider to decide. Most important for me is weight, size and built quality (and of course offering more options than a simple point and shoot), as I'll mainly use it to travel around.

A real DLSR is too bulky for me, i have noticed it before, and even when I take it with me on a trip I just don't seem to use it because of the weight and size of it.
Any input would be appreciated!

Edited by pieterjan456, 06 March 2013 - 02:51 AM.

#2 pieterjan456

pieterjan456

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:41 AM

Just today (14 hours remaining) there's a deal on a website i know in belgium:
Olympus PEN E-PL3 + 14-42mm lens

for €299, seems to be a good deal if i look at the prices on amazon.de... any thoughts?

#3 Invisiblemoose

Invisiblemoose

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:28 AM

You're still dealing with a bulky lens -- or worse, multiple bulky lenses. Consider a Sony RX100 -- expensive, but truly portable and you'll probably save money in the long run by not having to buy more lenses. Picture quality is absurdly good for its size.

#4 Andrewsarchus

Andrewsarchus

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

In my experience, the micro 4/3 cameras are overpriced, especially the lenses, but do produce good pictures I had mine for about 2 years and it worked well for me. I just got sick of looking at a lens that was not as good as a Canon lens but cost a lot more...

I had a Lumix GH1, forgot to mention. With the kit lens and an additional 45-200mm lens. I was looking at the 100-300mm lens and it was going for about £450 when I could get a Canon 70-300 for £350.

Edited by Andrewsarchus, 06 March 2013 - 08:20 AM.

#5 pieterjan456

pieterjan456

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look at the Sony you mentioned.

#6 pieterjan456

pieterjan456

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:27 AM

That sony looks impressive i must say! If anyone else has some tips to look at let me know!