#1 L0stS0ul

L0stS0ul

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

Hello,

I've been developing a new app over the past month or so for 10 inch android tablets that plots your plane on top of Google maps as you fly. I've had a lot of fun learning android programming and I hope there is some interest in something like this. If you want to follow the development I have a blog here:

http://vineripesoftw...rized/software/

The software is in final beta testing and I hope to release it to the android store within the next 2 weeks. Here's a quick video walkthrough of what the software offers and a couple of screen grabs.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 L0stS0ul

L0stS0ul

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

Tonight I’ve released the Release Candidate build to testers. If all goes well with testing over the next few days I hope to release the software to the play store on Wed. I’ve made a ton of performance improvements over the weekend as well as updated some graphics for the app. It’s really looking solid to me right now. I’m waiting to hear from my testers now. Exciting times

#3 L0stS0ul

L0stS0ul

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

I'll be releasing the software this weekend. The Release Candidate testing has all gone well and I'm frantically trying to get the website and support materials completed. Life has gotten in the way of progress the last 2 days but I'll be working on it tonight and hopefully have everything released soon.

#4 L0stS0ul

L0stS0ul

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:53 PM

I've submitted the app to the Google Play store and I'm waiting for notification that it has been released. I've not yet released the trial version. I'm preparing that now and it should be available in the next day or 2. The server software has been released and information about it is available on my blog.

http://vineripesoftw.../flightconnect/

Info and new screenshots of the released version are available here:

http://vineripesoftw....com/flightmap/

#5 L0stS0ul

L0stS0ul

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:03 AM

It's now available on the play store. You can see the app here: https://play.google....m.vrs.flightmap

Trial version is coming soon.

#6 L0stS0ul

L0stS0ul

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:42 PM

I just published the free 5 minute trial of FlightMap to the Play Store. It’s already showing up in the US store so it should be soon for other locations. The direct link to it is:

https://play.google....flightmap.trial

The trial is fully functional and is tied to the server updates. Once everything is working it will get 5 minutes of server updates before the trial expires. You can re-open the trial as many times as you want.

Edited by L0stS0ul, 16 April 2013 - 10:42 PM.

#7 L0stS0ul

L0stS0ul

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

I’m working really hard to get the first update out to my beta testers. Hopefully I’ll have that done Wed or Thurs this week. The first update includes the following changes:
  • Updated graphics for the Airspeed Indicators. Also modified the GA indicator to be in 20 knot increments instead of 25 based off feedback from my testers.
  • Added a track options when in NAV or GPS mode. This allows you to toggle between the current heading up display and a north up display.
  • Improvements to the adhoc waypoint system. Now when you get within 1 nautical mile of an adhoc waypoint flightmap will automatically advance to the next waypoint like the GPS mode does.
  • non-active waypoints will have a gray line in adhoc mode and active waypoint will be blue as it is now.
  • Adding waypoint information for GPS and NAV display. The GPS mode will have more information than the NAV mode does. NAV will show distance to next waypoint. GPS mode will show magnetic bearing to waypoint, distance to waypoint, altitude of waypoint, and ETE for next waypoint.
This is a pretty significant update and I can’t wait to get it into my testers hands. If all goes well this update will be released next week for those that have purchased.[/color]

Edited by L0stS0ul, 22 April 2013 - 09:54 AM.

#8 L0stS0ul

L0stS0ul

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:07 AM

Here are a couple of screenshots showing new features from the upcoming version 1.6.

Posted Image

This first screen shows the new “TRK” mode. When this is enabled the map will be oriented north while the plane will be pointing in the direction of flight. The map is always oriented GPS NORTH or bearing 0. I had to take into account magnetic variation for the compass rose to read correctly and the plane to point in the correct direction. I That is why the compass is not reading 0.

Posted Image

You may also notice on the screen the distance to the waypoint is displayed. This is the NAV mode so I only have distance to display right now but all of the rest will be displayed when in GPS mode.

I’m also showing the new GA airspeed indicator Posted Image I think it looks pretty nice.

Edited by L0stS0ul, 23 April 2013 - 10:09 AM.

#9 L0stS0ul

L0stS0ul

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

I just released a new version of FlightMap to my beta testers. Hopefully all goes well and by this time next week this version will be out on the Play store for all to use. Here are the enhancements this BETA version includes:
  • Updated graphics for the Airspeed and altitude Indicators
  • Modified the GA indicator to be in 20 knot increments
  • Added a track options when in NAV or GPS mode. This allows you to toggle between the current heading up display and a north up display.
  • Improvements to the adhoc waypoint system. Now when you get within 1 nautical mile of an adhoc waypoint flightmap will automatically advance to the next waypoint like the GPS mode does.
  • non-active waypoints will have a gray line in adhoc mode and active waypoint will be blue as it is now.
  • Added distance to waypoint in NAV mode
  • Added distance to waypoint, ETE, CTS, DTK, and WP Altitude to GPS mode.
  • Adjusted the compass rose in plane direction up mode. I was using a built in FSX magnetic direction variable but when I added track mode I noticed it was off a bit. I’ve now adjusted this so that it matches the north up mode. After some testing I believe it is far more accurate now than it was.
  • some other minor graphic updates
Here are a few screen grabs of  the latest version with the GPS enhancments.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by L0stS0ul, 25 April 2013 - 08:16 AM.

Also tagged with android, fsx, flight simulator, gps, tablet, moving map