3 replies to this topic

#1 pieterjan456

pieterjan456

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:21 AM

I'm currently learning my avionics course and am at the Distance measuring equipement. All good, i know the aircraft sends pulses instead of one signal, but if multiple aircraft are interrogating the DME station, how does the aircraft 'know' its his code which is send back and not the signal of another aircraft? Is there like any identity code send with the signal?

#2 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

The signature of the interrogation pulse differs from aircraft to aircraft as far as I know. The return pulse from the DME needs to match the interrogation pulse.

#3 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:50 AM

If I remember correctly from my avionics class, what happens is:

-----PULSE1-----PULSE2---------------------------jitter-----------------------------PULSE1-----PULSE2-------

The "jitter" is unique to every aircraft, and that is how they are distinguishable. What happened, was the resistances in each aircraft's DME equipment were different, so the jitter can be from 9-11ms in length depending on the resistances encountered.

With today's technology, I'm pretty sure my professor mentioned that they are able to actually specify the length of the jitter to their own specifications.

Did you learn about the "x" and "y" spacing between pulses, and how the x space from the beginning of PULSE1 to the beginning of PULSE2 is 12 microseconds and y space is 36 microseconds yet? Because with that, we then also get X and Y channels.

Ahh CORRECTION:

In modern systems, the aircraft registration is encoded in the jitter value.

Edited by Peter797, 30 May 2013 - 11:54 AM.

#4 AmericanAirFan

AmericanAirFan

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

Ah fond memories of my avionics class. :) That all sounds about right.