9 replies to this topic

#1 Yeah

Yeah

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

So I just bought a Mac Mini after having just a MacBook/MacBook Air for the past 3 years. Obviously, spec-wise this is the most powerful computer I've had in a long time though that's not really saying much.

I'm wondering if I should go ahead and buy FSX from the Xbox store for $30. I already own the game but since the Mac Mini lacks an optical drive and I lack access to an external one, I have no problems purchasing it again, assuming it will run acceptably well for me.

I tried out the Trial version and at TNCM with the default CRJ I look to be getting about 20-30 FPS consistently. When I turn on some severe weather, FPS will hover around 10-25 on approach. This is all with nearly max settings and when I tweaked the fsx.cfg, lowered the water detail, switched to simple clouds, and lowered the mesh settings just a tad, I found I could get a consistent 30 FPS on approach in clear weather and 15-20 in stormy, rainy weather. When I left TNCM and started flying towards the surrounding islands, I got a consistent 60 FPS.

So are these frame rates good enough to justify buying the game? I'm already looking at buying the PMDG 747, NGX, and I already own some FSDT scenery (KORD, KLAS, KJFK). So considering that with those add ons, that I can expect some drops in FPS, is it worth it to buy the game? I understand that DX10 can really help performance too.

#2 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:19 PM

No, not worth it. If you are only getting 30 FPS clear weather at TNCM, you'll be watching a slideshow when you venture into the larger airspaces like ORD, LAS, or JFK with addon aircraft and scenery.

#3 Yeah

Yeah

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:35 PM

Alright, I made some compromises and I think I found a sweet spot where I'm happy with the aesthetics and I'm getting 40 FPS at TNCM. Where would you recommend I be at on default before even considering buying it and installing addons?

#4 FSX_Gamer

FSX_Gamer

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:00 AM

As LA_PHX said, it's not worth it. And do you know that FSX is not even designed for macs (though using an emulator might work). And your choice of buying mac mini is not a good choice. You can buy a PC with much higher specs around the same price range. If a mac is essential for you or you just like macs better than PC, you can buy X-Plane 9 or X-Plane 10, which is designed for macs and most likely will perform much better than FSX on macs).

#5 Yeah

Yeah

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:59 PM

So since I'm a stubborn a-hole, I went ahead and ignored your guys's advice and bought it anyways. Sorry. :(

Good news is is that the demo must be different than the full version of FSX because this runs like a dream. I'm getting around 50-70 FPS in NYC with dense scenery on in the default 747 and in the 110's (60 in the VC) on the TNCM landing mission. Settings are the same or better as what I had in the demo too! Granted, I did install the texture conversion pack and I have yet to install any 3rd party addons but this is definitely way better than I expected.

Edited by Yeah, 17 June 2013 - 05:00 PM.

#6 FSX_Gamer

FSX_Gamer

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

So congrats for running FSX without lag! Like me too!

#7 _TW_

_TW_

First Class Member\Screenshot Hotshot of 2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

What resolution & anti-aliasing settings are you using?

#8 Yeah

Yeah

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:34 PM

I'm using the built in FSX AA, anisotropic and running at 1280x768. I just installed a bunch of WOAI packs and took a pretty significant hit, even when I lower traffic down to 30%. This could be because I messed with some fsx.cfg stuff though because even at 0 I'm not getting the FPS I was getting before. I'll have to look at this.

Also while it's running smoothly, I'm getting a ton of CTD's with a fatal error message. I looked into fixing this and apparently there's a .dll that I just put in the FSX root folder but that's not doing anything for me.

Edited by Yeah, 17 June 2013 - 10:35 PM.

#9 _TW_

_TW_

First Class Member\Screenshot Hotshot of 2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:38 PM

I just installed a bunch of WOAI packs and took a pretty significant hit, even when I lower traffic down to 30%. This could be because I messed with some fsx.cfg stuff though because even at 0 I'm not getting the FPS I was getting before.

Posted Image

even at 0 I'm not getting the FPS I was getting before.

Posted Image

Also while it's running smoothly, I'm getting a ton of CTD's with a fatal error message.

Posted Image

#10 abhilash132003

abhilash132003

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:00 AM

View PostYeah, on 17 June 2013 - 10:34 PM, said:

I'm using the built in FSX AA, anisotropic and running at 1280x768. I just installed a bunch of WOAI packs and took a pretty significant hit, even when I lower traffic down to 30%. This could be because I messed with some fsx.cfg stuff though because even at 0 I'm not getting the FPS I was getting before. I'll have to look at this.

Also while it's running smoothly, I'm getting a ton of CTD's with a fatal error message. I looked into fixing this and apparently there's a .dll that I just put in the FSX root folder but that's not doing anything for me.

Hi i am planning get the new mb 13.can i run pmdg ngx and rex etc in that?