- - - - -

August 2004 Screenshot Contest

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
111 replies to this topic

Poll: Your favorite shot is....? (129 member(s) have cast votes)

Your favorite shot is....?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#101 btaylor

btaylor

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 04:36 PM

ADSimpson, there is not going to be a separate freeware contest and a payware contest.  You should understand that and accept that. Who has time to break the the contests up to so many different compartments?  I personally don't have a problem with it but  the admin has brought up some good points about that. They have already made clear that so many simmers already use payware that it has become an integral part of our flight sim experience.  And anyways, it is an impractical idea that would itself raise more issues than it would solve.

ADSimpson, you have been one of those that has made nasty remarks against other peoples shots, directly and indirectly:

ADSimpson, on Aug 9 2004, 10:17 AM, said:

Well, it's very nice that the majority voted for Swiss Pro, (again) so, in order to win the contest, you must buy your way in with payware! Come on people.
Here is another one of your many

ADSimpson, on Aug 9 2004, 03:37 PM, said:

It's already too late. The majority has voted for clouds and FPS eating payware. So much for the "beauty of FS" shots. (lighting, cloud water combonation, etc.) If this is what the contests are going to turn into, we don't need a screenshot contest.

I don't even want to go back into last months contest and your disrespectful behavior then.  Budlite is a lost case, but I would have expected better from you.  Your dishonorable behavior by your degrading remarks and trying to influence others ( quote: "Come on people") you have participated with some others in spoiling the contest. :o Shape up and we hope we won't see this shameful behavior from you again. :o

#102 Fox

Fox

Contributor

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 05:26 PM

Never a dull moment at the fs2004.com SS contest :o :o

#103 WarrenGmon

WarrenGmon

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 05:59 PM

:o Why don't we have a seperate contest for each member? Would that make you happy?  :o

#104 btaylor

btaylor

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 06:38 PM

WarrenGmon, on Aug 10 2004, 05:59 PM, said:

:o Why don't we have a seperate contest for each member? Would that make you happy?  :o
:o lol, yep, that would make ADSimpson very happy!   B)

I've been on vacation for the past few weeks and I came back just in time to catch the tail end of this month's contest.  And have I been dissapointed or what! Shocked even.  I thought this month things would have been different.  But no. What do I see?

Mudslinging back and forth.  Outrageous and blatant attempts to influence the voting.  Already in this month's contest there were 2 incidents of suspicion cast unfairly on shots by implying them to be "edited". The same thing happens almost every month. I need not remind everyone of the atrocious behavior of last month and months before. This month it has only gotten worse.

Some people just can't act respectful towards others, no matter what you tell them.  I honestly have to say there may be a definite element of jealousy and these people have a need to be spiteful.  There is no reasoning with these people.  Trust me, I tried last month.  Do I see any difference this month? No! In fact their behavior has only become more shameful.  Why should those authors who enter the contest in good faith have put up with disgraceful attacks from these petty and spiteful people? Their undignified whining about payware is starting to sound like a broken record.  To these people I say grow up! Payware is a part of flight sim and it's not going to go away.

I agree with the idea to lock the comments until the end of the contest. This will deprive these spite mongers of a forum to bicker and attack others and dishonestly attempt to influence votes.

#105 ADSimpson

ADSimpson

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 07:15 PM

btaylor, on Aug 10 2004, 05:36 PM, said:

ADSimpson, there is not going to be a separate freeware contest and a payware contest.  You should understand that and accept that. Who has time to break the the contests up to so many different compartments?  I personally don't have a problem with it but  the admin has brought up some good points about that. They have already made clear that so many simmers already use payware that it has become an integral part of our flight sim experience.  And anyways, it is an impractical idea that would itself raise more issues than it would solve.

ADSimpson, you have been one of those that has made nasty remarks against other peoples shots, directly and indirectly:

Well, it's very nice that the majority voted for Swiss Pro, (again) so, in order to win the contest, you must buy your way in with payware! Come on people.

It's already too late. The majority has voted for clouds and FPS eating payware. So much for the "beauty of FS" shots. (lighting, cloud water combonation, etc.) If this is what the contests are going to turn into, we don't need a screenshot contest.

I don't even want to go back into last months contest and your disrespectful behavior then.  Budlite is a lost case, but I would have expected better from you.  Your dishonorable behavior by your degrading remarks and trying to influence others ( quote: "Come on people") you have participated with some others in spoiling the contest. :o Shape up and we hope we won't see this shameful behavior from you again. :o
Sorry. :o   I apologise to everyone I have upset.

#106 btaylor

btaylor

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 10:12 PM

ADSimpson, on Aug 10 2004, 07:15 PM, said:

btaylor, on Aug 10 2004, 05:36 PM, said:

ADSimpson, there is not going to be a separate freeware contest and a payware contest.  You should understand that and accept that. Who has time to break the the contests up to so many different compartments?  I personally don't have a problem with it but  the admin has brought up some good points about that. They have already made clear that so many simmers already use payware that it has become an integral part of our flight sim experience.  And anyways, it is an impractical idea that would itself raise more issues than it would solve.

Sorry. :o   I apologise to everyone I have upset.
It's very big of you to apologize ADSimpson. B)   I'm sure the things you said earlier were not personal, but they do hurt the authors and make the forums and contest a less friendlier place.  I hope the others who behaved badly will also apologize, or if they don't do that, then they should realize what they were doing was wrong.  Or if they can't even do that, then at the least just say nothing if they can't say any good.

Let's put this behind us now and lets all work in making the contests from now on a comfortable, warm and friendlier place for all that participate.  I will invite a discussion on some of these issues in the forums soon.  :D

#107 Fox

Fox

Contributor

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 10:27 PM

I am also for what I said in the last contest. I tried to keep my opinions to myself this contest but now I realize I got a little (Well, ok... a lot :o ) heated last one and i'm sorry for that.

Although I still stand by what I said last time, I accept the decisions of the admins and will try not to go against them :o

I also am still trying to stress to my peers that I have nothing against the authors (In fact me and fsimfan are friends... sorta :o )

#108 Tom.D

Tom.D

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 10:32 PM

Wezcsyty, on Aug 10 2004, 01:27 AM, said:

Again, to the complainers of payware, nobody forced you to buy FS, and nobody forced you to enter the screenshot contests.

Those who enter the contests should know that they are competing with people who take FS very seriously as a hobby.  A screenshot in these contests is a reflection of how much work, time, effort AND money the authors put into it.  So why should they be penalized for this? (and don't give me that "unfair can't afford it" nonsense)

It's like any other hobby out there.  The more serious and dedicated you are about a hobby, the more resources (time, effort ,money, etc) you are going to pour into it. FS is no different.

Take for example auto racing.  The people that work on their cars to get them into the best shape to win will pour time, effort, and tons of money to ensure that they have the best and latest top-notch equipment in the best condition so they will win the race.  So you guys with the silly "unfair cant afford it" tirades, stop this ranting against authors who simply invest in their beloved FS in the same spirit.

You know, I've said this all before, and it's clear that many have not got the message, and that is really sad.   I really think something has to be done about this in the next contest, so authors don't suffer intimidation and unfair attempts to influence the votes.  I entered this contest this month.  I have no payware in my shot, but I would be happier knowing that those who voted for my shot did so because they really liked it, and not because they voted for me because they were voting against a "payware" shot.
Beautifully said, simply beautifully said. :o  :o

#109 ADSimpson

ADSimpson

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 10:57 PM

Congrats 3 time winner Mango.  I'm sorry for raising all of the H-E-L-L about your otherwise wonderful shot. :o

#110 Wezcsyty

Wezcsyty

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 11:32 PM

Ken, on Aug 10 2004, 10:32 PM, said:

Beautifully said, simply beautifully said. :o  :o
Thank you Ken, I appreciate it.  ( And thanks also for voting for my shot!  :D )

I'm really heartwarmed by reading the responses from ADSimpson and Fox666 and others.  If you think about it, we're just one big family at FS2004.com.  :o   B)

In all seriousness, I guess we all have to keep in mind (me too) that there is a person behind each shot, we may know him, he may be a forum friend, and we all are human and have feelings.  :D

I'll leave you with a great quote full of wisdom from a member who posted this in last month's contest.  I really liked it and I just thought I would share it with you again, and I thought we all could benefit by taking some of it to heart:

ANAsky, on Jul 10 2004, 03:01 AM, said:

Everyone, of course, is entitled to their own opinion.....that is why is called "OWN"...something which is personal and kept to oneself. By making comments or pinpointing out things while a contest is still running, well, think about it.....its human nature to get influenced (subconsiously) by what you read or hear....whether the person doing the commenting actually intended to or not, talking your opinion "out loud" does affect human thinking......c'mon guys, this is just basic psychology. Be it a negative or positive comment, it biases the contest, and thus we don't have full or proper voting or results.

I too have voted, but i reserved my comments for till after the contest is OVER. I really think a healthy discussion afterwards (in which everyone can fully express their views on any shot/s) will not only benefit our souls, but our minds as well when we can share and learn from each other. And everyone will be more keen to do so as there won't shouldnt be any resentment as well as the "curiosity" and excitement will be there on what other thought all along of the shots (winning one as well as the rest entered in the contest)

Once again, may i remind everyone that this contest is for fun and for all of us should use it mainly for that; we CAN all share and learn from each other AMICABLY !!!

On an ending note, great shots this month ALL OF U.....some really took my heart and breath away. Even though i didn't enter the contest I want ALL OF YOU to know that I genuinely enjoyed and appreciated seeing all the diverse shots and the amount of time and effort spent behind every one of them.

Edited by Wezcsyty, 10 August 2004 - 11:37 PM.

#111 Mango

Mango

Contributor\First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,952 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 04:29 AM

ADSimpson, on Aug 11 2004, 10:57 AM, said:

Congrats 3 time winner Mango.  I'm sorry for raising all of the H-E-L-L about your otherwise wonderful shot. :o
Thanks a lot ADSimpson and everybody else ! B)

I think this discussion was necessary - and IMO the best ever in the forum.

And like Wezcsyty said: "I'm really heartwarmed by reading the responses from ADSimpson and Fox666 and others. If you think about it, we're just one big family at FS2004.com"

I think this more and more too !  :o  :o

#112 Byron

Byron

Contributor\First Class Member\Screenshot Contest Host

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 07:41 AM

And if it wasn't clear already:

Congratulations Mango!

We'll be looking out for some great screenies with FS Sea Plane Adventures from you. Thanks again to Abacus for sponsoring the contest.

Honorable mentions go out to Leginmat and Wezcsyty. Great shots everyone else!  :o

Thanks for particpating and see you on the first of September!