5 replies to this topic

#1 Iain_

Iain_

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:17 AM

Finally home after a fantastic two weeks in Orlando. Here's part two as promised. Again, the videos will come later. I plan to do one big video for each flight.

Posted Image

Flight: TOM585
Callsign: TOM585
To: Glasgow International (EGPF/GLA)
Aircraft: Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner
Date: July 30th 2013 (arrived next day)
Duration: 7h 33m
Route: WORMS J53 CRG J55 CHS J121 HTO J55 PQI J564 CL J549 YNA REDBY CARPE 5500N 05000W 5700N 04000W 5800N 03000W 5800N 02000W GOMUP UN572 TIR N580D FYNER

Arrived at SFB just before 1330 meaning a lengthy wait for our 1740 departure. Check in opened around twenty to three and we were through in no time. Straight to security where the TSA were in surprisingly high spirits for some reason, joking and laughing with all the passengers. Don't remember that on the last visit. Anyway, hassle free again and straight into departures, which was quiet.

Posted Image

After some floating around we caught our first glimpse of the aircraft as she landed from EMA, which happened to be the first 787 flight from EMA. As expected, it was TUIC, and she taxied in and parked at gate 2, meaning we had a nice view from the departure lounge:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Meanwhile, G-MLJL arrived from MAN as TCX414 and would depart 15 minutes after us on the return flight.

Some more dithering took place before the initial boarding call was made, of course the usual wheelchairs and Premium only. The TCX flight was called around the same time so departures virtually emptied at once. The only international departures of the day were these two flights, of course along with the usual Allegiant services. Although there were a lot of people boarding at once, it didn't take as long as I thought. We boarded through the L1 door, through Premium. You gotta just love the folk that like to get themselves organised in the aisle before sitting down, holding everyone up behind. Seated in 20A this time, I had a better window, no cracks and in a good position. All was going well until an argument broke out across the middle of the cabin where a family were disputing who was to sit where. It wasn't long before it became a performance, the whole cabin staring. Everyone was thinking the same thing; sit doon and shut up. A good 10 minutes and 4 flight attendants later it seemed to be over and we pushed back.

A brief light display before departure:

Posted Image

Departure was going to be off of 09L. Taxied past the usual Allegiant MD-80s and an all-white A319 parked at the gate, with tiny Allegiant titles. Saw the ex-Gulf Air B767 again too. We held short of 09L for a landing Allegiant mad dog before taxiing onto the runway. The engines spooled up quietly and we trundled down the runway and after what felt like a very long takeoff roll, rotated. We began a left hand turn shortly after departure offering some nice views of the landscape below.

Posted Image

We departed heading North, initially over Jacksonville and then the Eastern US coastline. Climb was initially to FL390 followed by an announcement from the cockpit when we were told we were avoiding some nasty weather near Charleston, SC. The climb continued to FL410, which we maintained for the remainder of the flight.

Posted Image

About an hour or two passed before the meals were served. Glad to say it was an improvement from last time. Chicken, carrot, potato and brocoli served with a pot of rice, mini cheesecake, roll and butter and water, in addition to either tea or coffee.

Posted Image

Having not eaten properly in hours it didn't take long to eat, especially with the small portion. Cheesecake or rice wasn't too pleasant but it was still an improvement.

Sun beginning to set:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cabin was somewhat peaceful apart from the odd breakout from the folks from earlier, who were clearly going to be a problem.

Canadaland:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

By this point, another pleasant passenger has made themselves known within the cabin. Tipsy to say the least. Goodness knows how much she had had to drink but every time she came past she had her glass in her hand. She'd made some pals a few rows ahead and I kid you not, stood in the aisle and chatted to them, shouting and laughing, for the majority of the flight. With no means of sleeping with the noise, I went to explore the IFE again and watched a documentary on the Northern Lights.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tried to sleep after the documentary but it wasn't easy. The seats are comfortable and there is a fair amount of leg room but it makes no difference when you're on the flying circus. About time the cabin crew had a word with some people but no. Not even when she starts swearing and shouting will something be done.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I wasn't the only one being disturbed, having a look around many were awake and were clearly upset by the noise.

Posted Image

The first signs of sunrise:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Only about 90 minutes left:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Descent began over the Western Isles to the North of Ireland and seat belt sign came on meaning so and so would finally leave and take her seat. God knows how long she was standing there. Captain announced a westerly arrival at GLA and right enough, 23 was in use, meaning the nice sharp turn for finals which I bet looked nice from the ground.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Typical touch down really followed by a quick deceleration and exit, passing lots of traffic on the stands. Noticed G-GDFR on the remote stand in front of the tower with spoilers up and flaps extended. Even more interesting was the Samair B737-400. Taxied onto stand 30 past TCX B752 G-FCLE, BA EMB-190 G-LCYN, BA A321 G-EUXH, BA 737-400 G-DOCY and Jet2 B752 G-LSAN before joining a line up of US Airways B752 N938UW, Jet B738 G-GDFC and Thomson B752 G-OOBF:

http://farm8.staticf...501452e31_c.jpg

http://farm6.staticf...81003d479_c.jpg

Doors were opened, but no one moved. PA to say doors had been closed again because the jetway was in the wrong position. Doors open again and pax started to exit through L2, meanwhile I requested a cockpit visit, which was approved, but only after a family who had won a visit had left. They announced after takeoff that someone would win a flight deck visit after landing, seat 13J and party were announced as the winners just before landing. Captain had left but the F/O was happy to stay, meanwhile I filled in for the captain in the left hand seat  :D

http://farm8.staticf...82514514c_c.jpg

http://farm3.staticf...4000a8170_c.jpg

Hope you enjoyed! Look forward to the videos...

#2 shamupilot

shamupilot

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:05 PM

Great trip report! The 787 looks like a beautiful bird to try out one day.

#3 Iain_

Iain_

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

Takeoff at SFB:

Landing at GLA:

Edited by Iain_, 03 August 2013 - 04:10 PM.

#4 Rode-Ranrar

Rode-Ranrar

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

I do love aeroplane vids that are 80% wing.

#5 Iain_

Iain_

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:33 PM

And what exactly do you wish me to do about that?

#6 Iain_

Iain_

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:11 AM

An extra video from this flight:

View PostRode-Ranrar, on 03 August 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

I do love aeroplane vids that are 80% wing.

That OK for you?