#1 BSquared18

BSquared18

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:19 PM

Hello,

One of the last pieces for my new-computer build (for X-Plane) is a new keyboard. My criteria are:

Costs no more than $100 (if possible).

USB.

Suitable for both typing and flight-sim.

Back-lit keys  (all).

Full keyboard, including separate arrows (not just integrated with num pad).

Cherry mechanical keys = Brown.

I've been looking at the Cooler Master CM Storm Trigger. It meets my specifications, although finding one with Cherry MX Brown keys is a challenge. I did see a listing at CentralComputer.com. (Are they reputable?) $100 plus $13 shipping.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW, I live in the U.S. I know key-switch choices are sometimes region-specific.

Bill

Edited by BSquared18, 31 August 2013 - 04:21 PM.

#2 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

Here you go, mate.

http://www.amazon.co...mx brown gaming

Personally, I've started to prefer Amazon over other online retailers because of their return policy (No questions asked and cross-shipping), reshipment of suspected stolen, damaged or missing items, good prices, fast shipping, etc.

Some other options like the Logitech G710+ that cost about $130 have macro keys which may be useful to you, but you can always purchase a separate G-key hand-rest unit in the future.

#3 BSquared18

BSquared18

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:08 AM

Thanks. (Impressive number of posts, by the way.)

I agree with your assement of Amazon. I received a hard drive that died almost immediately. Amazon sent me another one and had UPS (or FedEx, I don't remember which) pick up the old unit at my door, no cost to me. By contrast, I recently had a motherboard arrive DOA from Newegg, and I had to take it to a shipping facility.

I had considered the QuickFire Pro until I realized that only a few keys are backlit. Since for X-Plane most or all of the keys are programmed to actions like carb heat, trim up and down, etc., I would want all the keys lit.

Too bad, because other than the lighting limitation, that keyboard is exactly what I'm looking for.

The Logitech is a bit out of my price range, unless/until I decide I can't get what I want for around $100.

Any other suggestions, anyone?

Bill

Edited by BSquared18, 01 September 2013 - 10:09 AM.

#4 BSquared18

BSquared18

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

I found a "lightly used" Cooler Master CM Storm Trigger with Cherry MX Brown keys on eBay for $90 and free shipping. The vendor has an excellent user rating and satisfaction guaranteed. After spending two days trying to find one of these puppies, I'm willing to take a risk.

Knocked me off my feet when I saw one for sale for over $300! Now there's a deal!

Bill

#5 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:18 PM

Are the switches needed? There are these for macros which some of us use. I know it isn't what you want, but for macros it's excellent. I use mine for all sorta of software or OS level macros.

http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/B001NEK2GE

You can't go wrong with Logitech either, they'll replace a 10-year-old out of warranty mouse for free (Most of the time). The work-around for keyboard lighting would likely be colored LED light strips, preferably in red with low light output that you can use at night. You'll be hard pressed to find a MX brown switch keyboard that's fully backlit with macro keys.

#6 BSquared18

BSquared18

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

Yes, I looked at that one. Decided against it because I wanted a board that could be used both for typing and X-Planing.

Will see how the switches feel. First time I've had a keyboard with that feature.

I especially like the idea of a lighted keyboard, to facilitate night flying in a darkened room to enhance realism.

I don't know how FSX works, but in X-Plane actions can be assigned to as many keys as desired to supplement the on-screen instrument panel and the joystick.

Bill

#7 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

In any case I'd keep a close eye for sales. I've seen mechanical boards go on sale for $20-40 cheaper at times. There's also refurbished. I need to grab myself a copy of XPlane.