11 replies to this topic

#1 premiere1

premiere1

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

Edited by premiere1, 24 September 2013 - 10:19 AM.

#2 Brandon-M

Brandon-M

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

Nice video!

#3 Independence76

Independence76

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:54 PM

Nice shots, but the music....meh.

#4 pieterjan456

pieterjan456

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:06 AM

Cool vid. I always wonder, how do you film it when you are supposed to turn off all devices? Do you ask permission or do you just do it?

#5 premiere1

premiere1

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:22 AM

View Postpieterjan456, on 25 September 2013 - 01:06 AM, said:

Cool vid. I always wonder, how do you film it when you are supposed to turn off all devices? Do you ask permission or do you just do it?

Lol...no my friend. The reason behind "turning off all devices is not because it interferes with communications, its because the clueless people that get on these aircraft do not pay attention to any of the emergency procedures". In all, at this point in time, the flight attendants are already seated and it gives me a chance to shoot footage.

#6 pieterjan456

pieterjan456

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:13 AM

I was just asking :-) I don't think the FAA would agree with your explenation ;-)

#7 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:34 PM

View Postpieterjan456, on 26 September 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:

I was just asking :-) I don't think the FAA would agree with your explenation ;-)

They wouldn't but ######, we have a pilot on these forums who has posted video. The FAA knows it is happening and they only time they've somewhat made a stink (and they were really just empty threats) is when there has been some sort of news-worthy incident and cabin video emerges...like that Delta bird strike out of JFK. They only made noise about it to make sure people know it is still a rule.

That said, an advisory committee is expected to make the recommendation to allow electronics on during all phases in airplane mode. I guess the reasoning is, "why can the woman in Seat 3A read a physical magazine but I can't read one on my Kindle."

#8 pieterjan456

pieterjan456

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

View PostLA_PHX, on 26 September 2013 - 12:34 PM, said:

They wouldn't but ######, we have a pilot on these forums who has posted video. The FAA knows it is happening and they only time they've somewhat made a stink (and they were really just empty threats) is when there has been some sort of news-worthy incident and cabin video emerges...like that Delta bird strike out of JFK. They only made noise about it to make sure people know it is still a rule.

That said, an advisory committee is expected to make the recommendation to allow electronics on during all phases in airplane mode. I guess the reasoning is, "why can the woman in Seat 3A read a physical magazine but I can't read one on my Kindle."
Of course, I was just wondering if you just do it or ask, not something about security things or something. Just interested, because I'm quite certain if an F/A sees you doing it she/he would not like it.

#9 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

No, he or she would tell you to turn it off and put it away because that is their job. Part of me thinks allowing electronics is fine, but part of the problem with that is people who put on those noise cancelling headphones and blast the music or video and cannot hear a single instruction should the F/As need to give out instructions.

That said, people ignore the F/As already so I suppose it won't make a difference.

#10 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:26 PM

The FAA is reviewing their rules and are due to remove this particular one while keeping others, such as bans on phone calls or email transmission. My personal theory, which makes quite a bit of sense, is that it's financially motivated. Those very expensive phone calls made on airliner gives the airline a kickback of up to 85% in some cases. $1.20 is the usual amount I see on domestic carriers. I don't even remember the rates if there was a phone on any international carriers. Using the plane's wi-fi system is even more expensive and again, the airline gets a fat kickback percentage.

Having said that, I've used my cell phone in flight and on startup/tax on international carriers. No whining was ever heard from an FA. It's only the American carriers that have their heads firmly far up their bums. It's no wonder they're all on course to going extinct. In 10 years you're likely to get better service on Air India than United.

Edited by SwitchFX, 26 September 2013 - 09:27 PM.

#11 pieterjan456

pieterjan456

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:59 AM

View PostLA_PHX, on 26 September 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

No, he or she would tell you to turn it off and put it away because that is their job. Part of me thinks allowing electronics is fine, but part of the problem with that is people who put on those noise cancelling headphones and blast the music or video and cannot hear a single instruction should the F/As need to give out instructions.

That said, people ignore the F/As already so I suppose it won't make a difference.
Of course they would say it, but after a few times they might get irritated if you continue doing it or see you doing it again. But I was just interested on how it's done, if its just asked or just 'do it', as i have wondered quite a few times as i see youtube movies of people filming the landing and takeoff. Not a big deal :-)

#12 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:11 AM

View Postpieterjan456, on 27 September 2013 - 05:59 AM, said:

Of course they would say it, but after a few times they might get irritated if you continue doing it or see you doing it again. But I was just interested on how it's done, if its just asked or just 'do it', as i have wondered quite a few times as i see youtube movies of people filming the landing and takeoff. Not a big deal :-)

In my case, only did it a few times, I would do it without asking and if I got caught (never did), then gig's up and I put the camera away. But it is pretty easy to tell when they have taken their seats and aren't coming through the cabin again until after takeoff.