5 replies to this topic

#1 k_koraitem

k_koraitem

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

Hello fellow simmers/pilots!  It's been a very long time since I browsed or posted anything on this site.  So my question isn't unlike that of many that people posted here before me.  The cost of getting a CPL is $$$?  I know I know, it's been asked a million times, with a million different answers, just bear with me on this one.  My question is more of a hypothetical scenario for me personally and I'm just trying to see what everyone else thinks.

So here's the deal, I already have my PPL (Canadian) and so far only rated for daytime VFR.  The last time I flew was in February doing a few Touch & Go's out of CYHU.  I've come to the point like many others where I want to consider making flying a career.  I currently work in a job that offers me the luxury of saving up enough money to continue my lessons but unfortunately spare time is what I don't have.  So the plan is to save enough up to quit my current job and then continue with flying lessons at least towards CPL.  At the same time I would find myself a lessor paying job that at least gives me enough free time to continue my lessons while paying for basic necessities (i.e. rent, bills, food...etc.).

So here are the specific questions

1) How much do I need to save to get a CPL for someone who's already got their PPL?
-This is assuming all ratings included such as Multi-Engine OTT VFR, Night Flying, and most importantly Instrument Rating

2) I know it's a question of putting in the hours but is there an estimated price tag towards getting ATPL also?

3) I know I probably need to save some more but right now I have $20 USD saved up and wondering if I could quit my job right now and start lessons while taking out a line of credit for the remaining cost of training. How much would I have to ask for to pay for training?
-Note the 3rd question is the one that's on my mind the most.  I don't hate my job but I am ready to move on and eager to switch gears.  You all know that learning to fly is a costly endeavor and I'm trying to get it done with the least amount of debt on my part.  I know lots of people have a hard time dealing with the fact that they'll be in debt paying their loan off and this puts off many people from flying professionally.  I'm quite aware that the starting salaries for pilots aren't the best especially in cases of regionals, charters; however my thought is that I'll be somewhat ahead of the game by not having so much to pay back.

4) Now people always recommend having something to fall back on.  I think I have some sort of backup plan if things turn sour and I'm just putting it out there for everyone to see what you all think.
-I graduated with bachelor’s degree and master’s degree in mechanical engineering that was aviation focused.  As far as work experience, I worked for two years on a research project with a very well known aircraft engine manufacturer and published a thesis (that was part of my master’s degree).  Right now I've been working for 2 years in the oil & gas industry as a field engineer at a very well known company.  I speak Arabic, English, and French.  So if I ever decided to abandon flying as a career do you think my "parachute" will hold?

OK so for those of you who are still reading thank you! :thumbsupguy:
I know this was one looooooong a** post but I just had to put it out there.

Edited by k_koraitem, 26 October 2013 - 05:04 PM.

#2 Micah

Micah

formerly flyboy_14

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

1) The price for a CPL can vary, but I would budget around $50,000 for the build-up time and dual requirements
    The CPL includes the Night rating, but doesn't include the Mutli or IFR. However, most of the time a Commercial student
    will do the MEL and IFR.
2) Theres not really a price tag for an ATPL as these hours are usually accumulated while working in the industry.
3) If I were you, I would continue at your current job and save until you have the required amount needed for the CPL,
MEL, and IFR and then just fly as much as you can, in the shortest time possible. This ensures as much knowledge retention as
possible.
4) The way you put it, It seems like if you could not find work in the Aviation Industry, your present training would be fine as a fallback.

A few other things...

My first recommendation would be to talk to a flight school in your area, and find out more about how they structure training for the CPL.
Ever school is going to be slightly different. Another option is to look into an actual Commercial Pilot Diploma, Certificate, or even a degree
program through a Post Secondary school. This is what I am doing out in Saskatchewan, and I would highly recommend it. The amount of extra
knowledge you get from a school like this is amazing. So much more in depth than the average flight school will give you. Lots of back knowledge,
and all the instructors are in the industry either as pilots, AMEs, or as Ops Mangers of some sort.

It seems like you understand that starting in this industry is not easy, and really isn't for someone who's after the money. The only reason I am doing
my CPL is that I love flying and everything involved with it. Hopefully I will never have to 'work' a day in my life.

A great resource to look at is www.avcanada.com though, as with any forum, take the advice there with a grain of salt. But there is tons of great information
and more knowledgable people than I  on that website.

I hope this helps a a little bit.

If you have any other questions, ask away!

#3 HighFlyin

HighFlyin

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

I'm a class 3 flight instructor with Toronto Airways in Toronto...obviously. I could help figure out what you'll need to throw down, but considering you've already got 20K saved up, you're pretty to close to what you'll need.

How may hours TT, dual, PIC?

Do you already have a degree/diploma?

What's your goal in aviation? Airlines, bush, instructing? How do you plan on getting there (working ramp, or instructor is pretty much the only way in Canada)?

#4 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:00 PM

^ No way!?

We've probably been in the circuit at the same time then haha.

Edited by Peter797, 02 November 2013 - 07:02 PM.

#5 k_koraitem

k_koraitem

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:37 PM

View PostHighFlyin, on 28 October 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

I'm a class 3 flight instructor with Toronto Airways in Toronto...obviously. I could help figure out what you'll need to throw down, but considering you've already got 20K saved up, you're pretty to close to what you'll need.

How may hours TT, dual, PIC?

Do you already have a degree/diploma?

What's your goal in aviation? Airlines, bush, instructing? How do you plan on getting there (working ramp, or instructor is pretty much the only way in Canada)?

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate the input.

HigFlyin to answer your question, I haven't looked at my log in a long time but total flying hours was somewhere around 65 of which I spent 55 to get the PPL with the standard required alot time for Solos(PIC) and the rest dual with an instructor needed for the PPL.  I already have a degree in mechanical engineering, and my goal is airlines/freight flying.

And Peter797, who knows I'm usually flying Air Richelieu's planes in either C-GOLI, FFSK, GVHE, GYQB, or GWET.  Personal favorite is GOLI since it was the first C-172 I ever rode, first solos circuit, and first for me check ride :-)

#6 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:47 PM

Sorry k_koraitem, I meant in the circuit with HighFlyin. I fly out of Buttonville too :P