6 replies to this topic

#1 AA752

AA752

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:45 PM

Any CFIIs here? I just graduated from USAF Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training (SUPT) and am now going through the painful process of filling in a hard copy logbook. I have all of my flight records here, but they only track total flight hours for each sortie.

The problem I am running into is how much simulated instrument time to log for each flight. In the T-1A aircraft, we did not use hoods since it required two crew members to operate. Since Part 61 defines instrument time as that time when the instruments are the sole means of flying the aircraft, I figured I should log 15 minutes of simulated instrument time per approach. 15 minutes was the amount of time we planned for each approach, and approaches were the only time when the instructor pilots forbid us from looking outside.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks for the help!

#2 AmericanAirFan

AmericanAirFan

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:00 PM

Hey man, long time no see. I haven't been on these forums in months... I have my CFII. I think that's a difficult one to answer if you never wore the hood, but were you logging approaches?? If logging the approaches and it was strictly enforced to not look outside then I could see logging .2 or .3 being ok. That seems really questionable though. What are your plans at the moment for flying?

#3 AA752

AA752

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:56 PM

It has been a while! I've been lurking here for the last year, but now that pilot training is over I am hoping to come out of hibernation, at least until things get busy again.

As far as flying goes I don't really have any plans outside of the Air Force. I would like to get some more experience in single pistons, because I flew 17 hours in a DA-20 before moving to the T-6A, so I'm not really comfortable flying one solo right now. Weird, right? Air Force pilot training is great for what the Air Force does, but it skips over a lot of the basics that I think pilots should know before renting a Cessna and taking it on a hundred dollar hamburger run.

I don't think logging the instrument time matters that much as long as I am in the Air Force. As it is right now, I have my Commercial Single and Multi land with an instrument rating, and I am sure I'll accumulate enough time over the years to count towards ATP once my commitment is up. If I have to, I won't log any simulated instrument from my time in the T-1, but my goal is to keep a hard copy log that would be good enough to keep flying legally if my records with the Air Force somehow magically disappeared one day.

#4 higgi1fc

higgi1fc

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:48 AM

Hey bro, first off congrats on finishing UPT!  Whats the assignment?

Second, I honestly wouldnt worry about breaking down any of your UPT student time into much. Like ya said, the AF just calls it all "student" time.  In the grand scheme of what youre about to start, its just a little speck. You'll get PLENTY of hours of all regimes of flight in the next 10 years. The best advice i can give though for keeping up with your flight time is to keep your own records of everything you log from here on out and convert it the best you can to civilian time. The hardest part is the PIC stuff. Technically as a first pilot in whatever MWS you go to, any "primary" time you log, you can count it as FAA PIC. If you plan on having an airline job later though, the airlines know the trick. They want your actual aircraft commander time, which the air force doesnt track. Depending on the MWS, you could theoretically hold the A-code for a trip and never touch the controls and only log "other" time, so does that count?  It would depend on the airline. Thats why i keep track of EVERYTHING...every stat I could think of, so that when I go to an interview later on, I can easily drill down to show them whatever numbers they want. If you'd like, i can send you the Excel doc I made for keeping up with it all.

#5 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:15 AM

Question for both of you guys. I'm working on my CPL now and I never really considered it too much, but just out of curiosity, do you actually log how many take offs and landings you've had? The only time I logged this was for my night rating and night flying for recency, but other than that I haven't actually logged takeoffs and landings.

#6 AmericanAirFan

AmericanAirFan

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:19 AM

View PostPeter797, on 29 December 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

Question for both of you guys. I'm working on my CPL now and I never really considered it too much, but just out of curiosity, do you actually log how many take offs and landings you've had? The only time I logged this was for my night rating and night flying for recency, but other than that I haven't actually logged takeoffs and landings.

Legally, you only have to log landings for currency. I log all of my landings that I am the "sole manipulator of the controls," for the purpose of currency. You never know when you might need it.

#7 AA752

AA752

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:08 PM

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Yes, I have let apathy and laziness take over and have put this on the backburner for now :P

Higgi, I am PCSing to Dover at the end of this month to fly the C-5M, with SERE enroute. I am excited to get back into the air again! PIQ doesn't start until April, so in the meantime I will have flight sim to keep me entertained until the movers come. I would appreciate that excel file for sure.