#1 Rich

Rich

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:00 AM

Hi,

So I stopped simming quite a few years ago. I am now working towards my LAPL in the real world and would like to start simming again to help with my learning.

I know FS was discontinued by Microsoft some time ago. I am now looking at X-Plane 10. How is it these days? Has it gained popularity since Microsoft discontinued the FS franchise?

Cheers

Rich

#2 k_koraitem

k_koraitem

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:39 PM

Hmm odd why no one has replied.  Here's my 2 cents.  I've been on XP-9 and XP-10 the two are both good sims for practicing flying.  I know some might disagree but the "feel" that I got from X-plane was better than the "flying on rails" feeling I got with FS2004 and FSX (with the exception of really well modeled add-ons).  This was especially true since I got X-plane right about the same time I started with my PPL so the C-172 on X-plane to me seemed perfect.

The impression that I', getting is that popularity and 3rd party development is getting their.  Compared to 2010 and now and I've seen a lot of new add-on aircraft and scnerey popping up with X-plane.  My personal favorites are Jrollon's CRJ-200 (the only add-on in X-plane that compares to PMDGs level of detail) and all the GAs from Carenado.

At the same time I still go back to FSX, for the sake of the immersing myself in a complete sim/airport like environment.  So when I'm the mood of playing captain, I'll fire up FSX and load up something from PMDG and put myself in a busy airport like Frankfurt with traffic (AI or online) with all the other bells and whistles to make me feel like I'm there (minus the peanuts and coffee :-) )

I'll quickly point out that FSX in a way still exists as Prepar3d or P3D.  Essentially, Microsoft sold off their source code of FSX to Lockheed Martin for them to use a training simulator.  Hope this helps.

Edited by k_koraitem, 03 March 2014 - 07:48 PM.

#3 Cereal_Guy

Cereal_Guy

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:59 AM

View Postk_koraitem, on 03 March 2014 - 07:39 PM, said:

Essentially, Microsoft sold off their source code of FSX to Lockheed Martin for them to use a training simulator.

Little correction here, the have changed the EULA in V2 so that it can be used with entertaining purposes. ;)

#4 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:23 PM

View PostCereal_Guy, on 04 March 2014 - 03:59 AM, said:

Little correction here, the have changed the EULA in V2 so that it can be used with entertaining purposes. ;)

As far as I am aware there was no change in Lockheed's stance on using Prepar3d for entertainment... That is still technically against the terms of use. However, what has not changed is the fact that Lockheed is fine with individual consumers buying it for home use, which I guess they still classify as simulation and learning.

I would say XP10 has gained popularity, and some of the improvements Lamar Research has made (like the 64bit version) are impressive. However, X-Plane still lacks many addons I enjoy using in FSX. I might pick it up in the future, but before then I see myself buying Prepar3D 2.1 and giving it a spin.

Edited by Buziel-411_RED, 05 March 2014 - 11:23 PM.

#5 AirFranceSST

AirFranceSST

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:43 PM

I'm bringing this back to life lol. Anyways V2.4 is out now and I'm considering the switch. I heard performance is well above FSX. Watch vids on YouTube.

#6 SergeBMW

SergeBMW

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:54 PM

Ive tried out previous versions of P3D and honestly it was FAR more stable than FSX originally was, nice upgrade, though I still fly with FSX today whenever I can.

The X-Plane series is great, but the thing is, I cant get past the fact that I am flying in an empty world, with somewhat "random" generated scenery and arriving at empty airports. Physics are great but it always gets to me.