#1 willstone525

willstone525

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:52 AM

HI!

I am a big fan of FS but due to work reasons and personal reasons it made sense for me to get an iMac which obviously doesn't run FS without boot camping.

The first thing i'm unsure of is will both FS9 (2004) & FSX run of Windows 8.1, I know its pretty good on one of my older Windows 7 machines. I would want to run many addons to accompany both.

The second is I wish to run FSX at maximum realism but I know it requires quite steep specs from a PC. My Mac specs are below:
Processor  3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory  8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 (can be expanded)
Graphics  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB
and a 1TB harddisk
how would these specs handle FSX on highest realism.

Finally people are saying instead of using my old FSX standard I should buy FSX Gold to get both deluxe and acceleration for the newer computability. This means nothing to me so i do not know how important it is!

Cheers! :)

(please do not comment on the fact i'm using a mac and not a gaming pc, it is irrelevant to my questions and as i mention, I have no option other than to use a mac for other things i do in my life) :)

#2 Max.

Max.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

There are people running FSX on windows 8 although I do not myself and cannot comment on reliability, I would only choose Windows 7.

Specs are decent enough. You may want to overclock the CPU if you can, since FSX uses it more than anything else. No need for more RAM though, make sure you've got a 64bit version of your OS to reduce 'Out of Memory' crashes in FS.

In terms of the version of FS it shouldn't make too much difference since SP1 and SP2 patches can be downloaded separately, although I suppose for the sake of a few £s it could be worth just getting the gold version with it all included. I expect buying FSX is probably the same price as a pint of beer nowadays anyway.

Hope that helps a bit.

#3 willstone525

willstone525

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:46 PM

okay I will try this, one thing i find annoying is no where seems to sell Win7! know of any places?

#4 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:53 PM

I use FSX on Windows 8.1 and with the exception of one issue, I have had no problems with it or any addons I have installed. In Windows 8, there is a relatively common bug that causes FSX to lose connection to whatever joystick or yoke is connected after awhile. This can be resolved by using a registered copy of FSUIPC to setup your controls, bypassing the internal FSX control setup.

Aside from this, I have been quite happy with Windows 8.1 and have had no issues with FSX!

#5 n406c

n406c

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:44 AM

I only fly with FS9 and I installed it on my windows 8.1 pro machine, works like a charm.  I didn't even have to use compatibility mode of any kind either.  I also haven't had any crashes.

Edited by n406c, 25 April 2014 - 12:44 AM.