3 replies to this topic

#1 dreighver

dreighver

Passenger

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:32 PM

Hey all, first time poster here! I'm currently new to the flight-sim world, so I have a lot to learn. I'm trying to figure out what flight simulator to purchase, how to run it on my machine, and what addons I should supplement the aforementioned flight sim with.

My computer (laptop, rather), is pretty limited, relatively speaking of course. I'm currently using a mid-2012 Macbook Pro, and plan on running FSX (or another flight sim of choice) via Windows 7 64 bit, which I will use w/ Bootcamp.

As for the specs on my computer, they go as follows...

Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

Soooo... obviously, my machine, while not entirely worthless, is on the lower end. From doing some reading, and having played the FSX demo, I think my computer CAN handle it, although not ideally. I did manage to run the trial at max settings and averaged between 15-20 FPS. What I plan to do is buy a SATA III SSD, and connect it externally via a USB 3.0 adapter. From what I've read and researched this should work and allow the game to function based on reports from others who have done the same. Obviously it's not as ideal as running the game with a higher end rig, but it should suffice.

Where I'm going with this is that I need to figure out what simulator to purchase. I was dead set on FSX, primarily due to the various addons and PMDG's support. However, I was informed about P3D and X Plane 10 earlier today.

XP10 seems to be the most realistic simulation in terms of how the aircraft moves and handles, however it lacks in terms of addon support. Meanwhile, FSX and P3D are more geared towards providing an immersive experience and are addon friendly. FSX, also, is a finished and done product that will no longer be receiving support from MS. P3D, on the other hand, should be actively receiving updates. Unfortunately, no PMDG aircraft are totally supported by P3D yet, so that may be an issue.

With the above in mind, I'm leaning towards the latter two over XP10, however I did want to consult with you guys and get your thoughts.

I'm looking for an immersive, entirely realistic experience, but more importantly, a game that my machine can adequately handle and run. I realize that it ultimately comes down to personal preference, but based on what I described to you guys above, do you have any thoughts and/or recommendations on my situation, and what are your thoughts on what direction I should go in? If there's an alternative that I'm overlooking, please do tell! My tech knowledge, much like my flight-sim knowledge, is somewhat limited. I'm not a total bum, but I'm no genius, either, so any/all feedback is MUCH appreciated!

Again, my apologies for the long-winded question(s)... just trying to figure everything out.

#2 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:03 PM

Aside from FSX, Prepar3D, and X-Plane, the only other popular and modern civilian flight sims I know of are Flight Gear and Aerofly. Flight Gear is a free program and while I'm sure good on its own right, it probably doesn't compare to a modified FSX/XP/P3D, and Aerofly doesn't really compare to the scope of the big three simulators, but is still pretty cool and worth checking out for some fun VFR flights. http://store.steampo...om/video/214130

Lockheed has made some pretty great improvements to the engine with Prepar3D, but unfortunately they might actually be detrimental for your performance. Prepar3D is better optimized to use the graphics card, but your integrated graphics card is perhaps the weakest part of your laptop... For that reason I'd probably go with FSX. Just be sure to install SP1 and SP2, as they do bring some performance improvements.

If you're getting 15-20 FPS on max settings on the demo, you should definitely expect to have to run some settings down once you start using addons, but I bet you can setup it up to get an acceptable framerate.

Edited by Buziel-411_RED, 20 April 2014 - 07:04 PM.

#3 dreighver

dreighver

Passenger

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:31 PM

View PostBuziel-411_RED, on 20 April 2014 - 07:03 PM, said:

Aside from FSX, Prepar3D, and X-Plane, the only other popular and modern civilian flight sims I know of are Flight Gear and Aerofly. Flight Gear is a free program and while I'm sure good on its own right, it probably doesn't compare to a modified FSX/XP/P3D, and Aerofly doesn't really compare to the scope of the big three simulators, but is still pretty cool and worth checking out for some fun VFR flights. http://store.steampo...om/video/214130

Lockheed has made some pretty great improvements to the engine with Prepar3D, but unfortunately they might actually be detrimental for your performance. Prepar3D is better optimized to use the graphics card, but your integrated graphics card is perhaps the weakest part of your laptop... For that reason I'd probably go with FSX. Just be sure to install SP1 and SP2, as they do bring some performance improvements.

If you're getting 15-20 FPS on max settings on the demo, you should definitely expect to have to run some settings down once you start using addons, but I bet you can setup it up to get an acceptable framerate.

Thanks for the feedback! I went ahead and ordered FS2004, in lieu of the above options.I figured that I'd be able to run that at max settings with multiple addons going, and get the game to look, while not as pristine as FSX, quite good.

Ultimately, while I could likely run FSX reasonably, I expect I'd get better performance and have a better experience with FS2004.

#4 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:01 PM

View Postdreighver, on 20 April 2014 - 07:31 PM, said:

Thanks for the feedback! I went ahead and ordered FS2004, in lieu of the above options.I figured that I'd be able to run that at max settings with multiple addons going, and get the game to look, while not as pristine as FSX, quite good.

Ultimately, while I could likely run FSX reasonably, I expect I'd get better performance and have a better experience with FS2004.

Yeah, Fs9 is still a great sim! With some addons it can look pretty great despite it's age, and you should definitely be able to run it maxed out or near max with addons and maintain 30 FPS.

Have fun flying! :)