2 replies to this topic

#1 PhillyPennPilot

PhillyPennPilot

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:38 AM

I recently got into flight simming, purchased FSX, and quickly realized how demanding it can be on your machine, especially once you start collecting addons.  I have an OK system but it's nothing spectacular, and I'm feeling the strain on my framerate every time I play.  :-/

From what I've read so, FSX needs good ol' fashioned CPU power rather than a blazing fast video card to help with performance .  And it seem that lots of people in the forum who are overclocking, which is something which I know little about at this point ... so little that I'm not even sure if it's possible with pre-built computers.

Here's info on my setup:
  • Hewlett Packard Pavilion p7-1446 / Windows 8 / AMD A10-5700 @ 3.4 GHz / 8 GB DDR3 / 4 cores (specs from HP about this model: http://h10025.www1.h...00676&lc=en#N90)
  • GPU: Radeon R7-260x / 2 GB / DDR5 @ 1600 MHz
  • Addons: Orbx's FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, Ideal Flight 10, plus a traffic addon (to be determined soon)
So I guess the question is whether it's possible to overclock a prebuilt computer in the first place.  And if it is, do you think it will even be worth trying considering the basic hardware I have?  (And btw, I know there's a whole world of improvements I can make by tweaking my config file, but as you can probably tell I'm a newbie and I figured I might as well get my hardware running as best as it can before I start tweaking.)

Thanks for the input!

Edited by PhillyPennPilot, 06 May 2014 - 02:40 AM.

#2 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:53 PM

I believe a lot of prebuilt computers come with locked down motherboards that prevent overclocking. Even if you can change settings in the BIOS, I don't know if it would be recommended to overclock using the stock PSU and motherboard, both of tend to be on the cheap end in prebuilts. Also, you would need to purchase an aftermarket cooler. P

Personally I would not recommend it, but you might check and see if the BIOS will even allow you to change settings related to overclocking.

#3 PhillyPennPilot

PhillyPennPilot

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:03 PM

Yup, that's actually pretty much what conclusion I've come to since I posted this.  Thanks for the reply though.  Cheers.