#1 FlyThomsenX

FlyThomsenX

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:19 AM

Hello forum,

Last night I landed at LMML Malta Luqa, and I noticed a very severe problem. I let it autoland (despite not knowing if CAT III approaches are realistic at this runway/airport) and switched to a wing view. Believe me, I was surprised when it landed 150 ft to the left of the runway!

I use the Island of Malta scenery by Sim-Wings, by the way.

Posted Image
No turns after touchdown - this is where she stopped after copious amounts of reverse thrust :D

Now, I should have noticed earlier: ATC vectored me onto Rwy 32, whereas the FMC/MCDU was programmed for ILS Rwy 31. I assumed this was a mere bug, since I use Navigraph AIRAC cycle 1406 for all my aircraft and the World Navaids update - also cycle 1406 - for scenery (incl. ILS updates within Europe). But as you see, it was a little more than that...

Posted Image
Today I checked FSC to see if it could be true, and guess what - I was on ILS 31 for Rwy 32. Notice also that runway length (see ILS beam) is 3006 ft? Nope, it's a good 11000ft if I recall correctly. Lol.

Posted Image
A closer look at the alignment. Pretty obvious why I ended up where I did, right?

Anyway... Anyone familiar with Malta Luqa that can tell me if this is representative of the real Rwy 13/31 approach, with the offset ILS and all? Or am I being an idiot and missing something obvious here? :)

Cheers,

- Thomas / FlyThomsenX

Morale of the story: Don't do what I did - check your alignments before you land! :)