11 replies to this topic

#1 Iain_

Iain_

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

Here's the deal; when Windows XP support ended in April I moved onto an unused laptop (in no position to be dishing out cash on a new system, as much as I want to) with slightly improved specs from my PC but not by alot. My old one had 1GB RAM, 2.2GHz processor and ran XP. Only 120GB hard drive on it too. New one uses Windows 7, with 2.2Hz again, but 3GB RAM and 250GB HDD which is a bonus. Downside is that it uses an integrated motherboard, and only features a basic Intel graphics card.

Previously, I could achieve reasonable fps using PA A319/320/321 at UK2000 EGLL V2 on VATSIM (SB4). Now, we're talking about 8fps. It changes a lot, often starting at 30 and then dropping after a short period of time to 8 and staying that way.

I need to optimise it as much as I can. I've tried a ton of different things from hardware to software and can't seem to get it just right.

I could do with some much needed help getting to a reasonable playing condition again, as I've now had to leave BA Virtual because of it. I haven't been on FS around two months. The frustrating thing is I have far more time for flying than I usually would, but can't.

This is FS9, by the way.

#2 Iain_

Iain_

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:36 AM

Did a test for the first time in months, set it up at EGLL (might go back to V2, V3 is quite detailed) and got 23fps initially (locked at 23). Calibrated my joystick and returned to find FPS at 10.

#3 Iain_

Iain_

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:20 AM

We have progress. I can easily maintain 25fps now, which is fine. This is offline, and wasn't LHR. Only issue is, this is only in 2D cockpit view. If I change view, it drops to 12fps and stays there.

I used the TDS 737-900 for the test, which has no phyiscal VC model, so why is it dropping?

#4 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

It's still drawing visual material...

#5 Iain_

Iain_

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:51 PM

View PostSwitchFX, on 29 August 2014 - 12:32 PM, said:

It's still drawing visual material...

Yeah but so is 2D panel? Only thing I can think of is the model, VC loads the model.

#6 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:21 PM

Depends really, mate. If you've got your own draw settings (custom graphics) then it may be that indeed. Typically, the 2D panel will save a metric ton of FPS and ease off the GPU and CPU, respectively. Though depending on stuff like AI, road traffic (add on), weather generation and to an extent the live update engine, et al. can add to the load. I'm assuming this is a first generation or second generation C2D processor, i3 even. The problem is a mobile processor like the one in that isn't that powerful to draw the frames and fill them in conjunction with a bog standard integrated graphics chip. Though I'm beginning to guess this is an i5 with HD4000? Despite that, a lot of factors play into how it'll perform, and I suspect the drive is a mechanical one, likely running at 4,800 to 5,200 RPM. Odds are stacked against you.

#7 Iain_

Iain_

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:38 PM

I'm doing this without any AI. It's not even a Core model, it's a Pentium T4400. So yes, pretty low end nonetheless. The drive is mechanical AFAIK, 5400 RPM.

#8 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:01 AM

Oh wow. Yeah, there's your answer. In its early days, FS9 was processor and graphic card hungry. Best recommendation would be to rough it out until you can afford to build your own computer.

#9 Iain_

Iain_

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:13 AM

I can't even bare to rough it out it's that bad. But I can get up to 30fps, even 20 would do fine.

If I could get 20 on VATSIM with SB4 on low settings I'd be happy, last time I started Squawkbox it did not like it one bit...

#10 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:04 AM

You turn 18 soon. Could grab a job at the university pub or Waitrose.

Edited by SwitchFX, 04 September 2014 - 10:16 AM.

#11 Iain_

Iain_

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:36 PM

Already have a dozen applications here and there, some full time.

#12 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:03 PM

Good lad. Worst case, you work a street corner.