#1 willstone525

willstone525

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:26 AM

Hi there,
So about 1 year ago I brought myself a shinny new iMac 27", This has a i7 3.4 quad processor, 8GB ram, 256GB SDD and 1TB HDD, and a 4GB Nvidia GTX 780M Graphics GDDR5.
Now I know everyone will say "why buy a mac for FS you can get better hardware on self build pcs etc etc", that is true however I brought my mac before deciding to start back on FS.
Basically I want to know if I can run FSX on my bootcamp drive (Win 8.1), and at what kind of level. So I want to get it as realistic as possible so I will list the kind of addons I plan on running and if anyone knows of any other addons that I can use that is great! I would hope to run at a FPS of around 25, with graphics on a fairly high level along with using vatsim.

Aircraft
PMDG 737 NGX
Airbus X
FS2Crew
I may go into wide bodied like 777 at a later date

Scenery
FTX addons for various areas

Airport
Various Aerosoft Airport Addons
Possibly FSDreamTeam
GSX

Weather
Not too sure what addons to use as of yet.

Now I again understand using a mac i do loose some power as they use mostly hardware found in laptops but as a aspiring pilot I do need to get FS running one way or another for the practise and of course the good fun!

So to summarise I basically want to get FSX on my bootcamp iMac running at the best possible state using addons and settings to create the most realism!

Cheers

#2 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:24 PM

Short and simply? No, not really. Laptops aren't very good gaming machines.

#3 Iain_

Iain_

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:08 PM

You can expect FS9 to run nicely on it, but of course no NGX or AAX...

#4 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:45 PM

I would bet that FSX would run decently but you would have to be conservative with some settings and addons, especially since your GPU is really a mobile GPU. However it would definitely be doable.

If you decided to go with Fs9 you could essentially max it out with addons and run at 30+ FPS solid, although I know Fs9 is pretty dated now.

#5 Mexicana

Mexicana

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:30 PM

You should be fine, probably from 1 - 10, you should get like an 8 or even nine.. The only "bad part" of your Lap is the speed on the core.. But nothing that tweaking can fix..

For the people saying he can only fly on FS9, thats just too much PC for FS9.. i have an i3 and 4Gb RAM in a GT630 and im getting 30FPS with AS6.5 REX and Carenado, in custom airports like MMAA from MEXSIM.

This is the quality of my sim.. http://www.flightsim...11#entry2511411