#1 Lee_2014

Lee_2014

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:30 AM

Hi there.

It's getting to the point where I need to get my Flight Simulation onto a dedicated machine and off my Imac.  I've promised myself a dedicated FSX machine that will run FSX with settings notched up to high for years and now is the time to do it.

I've been looking around at pre-built systems and wondered what you guys thought of this one?   Ideally I'll need to upgrade the memory and add an extra 8GB of RAM to it through the customise options but what are your thoughts?
  • Processor Intel Core i5 4690 3.9GHz CPU
  • Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Motherboard
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
  • RAM 8GB DDR3 Memory
  • 1000GB Hard Drive
Just out of interest, I wondered if anyone could clarify the difference between a GTX and GTX Ti?  Excuse my limited knowledge of hardware, but would I be right in assuming that a GTX 760 is a better performer than an older GTX Ti say a 660 GTX TI

EDIT: Not sure if this will help you with your responses, but  I am considering switching to Prepar3D, Although I haven't completely made up my mind about that yet.

Edited by Lee_2014, 28 September 2014 - 11:33 AM.

#2 Lee_2014

Lee_2014

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:08 PM

Forgot to add:- my budget is around £800

#3 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:44 PM

First off, I would personally recommend building your own computer rather than buying a prebuilt. I was in the same position as you back in 2009 and decided to build my own computer with zero experience in hardware and managed it! You get better value and can choose exactly what components you want.

As far as the components you listed, a 4000 series Intel i5 processor is your best choice, and the GTX 760 is a good card too. However, NVIDIA just came out with the new GTX 970 and 980, and within a few months I imagine a new GTX 960 will be released too.

As far as differences between graphics card, yes the GTX 760 is faster than the GTX 660 Ti although it isn't a major difference. The "Ti" version of cards is basically just a faster version, NVIDIA sells a regular GTX 660 and the GTX 660 Ti is just the superior version. There are Ti editions of the 750, 780, and some other cards.

#4 Lee_2014

Lee_2014

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:58 AM

Keep thinking about being brave and building my own. . . I'll need to look into that in more detail in the next couple of days. However with  this package there is also a monitor, decent keyboard and mouse which i'm going to need one as I'm currently using an Imac for FSX.  There are two packages I've seen.