No replies to this topic

#1 manbird

manbird

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:57 PM

Greetings everyone. I'm a long time member here, used to post flight sim videos in the video section (manbird12000).A youtube channel I have since been locked out of. So I dissapeared  off the radar for a number of years. .. Anyway, it's been a few years since I've been back and although I don't' recognize some of the "Faces" here, I'm glad to connect on these forum's again. This is a lengthy post, but if you will indulge and if the Moderator will allow, I wanted some input from the community on a project I'm working on in my bat cave.

For past few years, I've been working on developing a replica 747-400 flightsim cockpit. Part of a series of cockpits I would like to build and eventually make available in the market. From a developer-customer point of view. What would you want in a product like this?

A little background: I've been a flight simulator fanatic ever since I was 15. My first flight simulator was a txt based game I created on an old CP/M computer back in 86' using B.A.S.I.C computing language. it was a 32kb file (which is thousands of lines of code back in those days). The language was basically this:
IF THEN GOTO ELSE

I wanted to finally build one of these things. I ended up building a rough mock up of it in my garage (and i do mean rough!), but the final thing would be precision cut and nicely fabricated.   It'll have a built-in front projection screen and projectors. LCD screens and mounting points for throttle qudrants and flight yokes. pre-installed LCD displays and wired for plug and play. Fully featured interior, windshields, ventilation compartments for cockpit/ computers and hardware/wires.  And maybe special slidable pilot seats.

But I've a lot of work to do.

Posted Image

I have about a bunch of  ideas about what I would like to put in this thing, but I'm interested in hearing everyone's input and ideas. What would you expect from something like this?

I was thinking about designing it so that you can install replica panels, but for now just placing hires back-lit graphics on them. The only electrical part would be the LCD screens, CDU's, Interior lighting, Ventilation system and projection system. All of which would need to be plugged into an existing flight simulator "Project magenta"-like setup. Here's a few pics of the rough-sketch mockup I did in my garage (It has since been dismantled because I recieved too much attention from it, from neighbors and nosey people. They even sent the CIA to investigate me...! And some design drawings..

If you could share some of your views, expectations, ideas or any questions you have on a project like this, please do.
Thankyou all..

BTW-The very-rough mockup was made of wood and foam. I used plexi-glass for the CRT covers etc.. and rough-ed in lighting and so forth. It was mostly built for me to see the idea in full scale.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

projection screen on.Posted Image..and "nighttime" ....Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

Edited by manbird, 10 October 2014 - 07:06 PM.