No replies to this topic

#1 Will94

Will94

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:30 PM

I bought MS Flight Simulator 95 back in 1997 and enjoyed using it for many years.  It had probably been 8 or 9 years since I'd played with it when I came across the CD a few weeks ago.  I installed it and have enjoyed the trip down memory lane, although it is ridiculously dated at this point.

About six months ago, I ditched Windows in favor of openSUSE Linux.  I have a couple of VirutalBox/Windows machines that I use for my Windows-only software.  As the video performance is fairly terrible in a virtual Windows box, I realize that I can't run MS Flight Sim 2010.  I found a cheap copy of FS 2004 on Amazon, so I bought it and installed it in Windows.  It does look much newer, but I think that I enjoy the older version more.

I am limited to 1280x1024 resolution in Windows.  As the instruments are HUGE in FS 2004, that leaves not a lot of room for the view, even after I've reduced the instruments in size.

Image here --> http://tamusquash.com/FS2004.jpg

The more "modest" instruments in FS 1995 worked great for me.  I had a lot more room for scenery, even if it was a bit monotonous.

Image here --> http://tamusquash.com/FS95.jpg

I've found myself wondering if FS98, FS2000, or FS2002 would be more to my liking.  I'd like to be able to have the smaller instruments window and be able to read all of the control displays (I can't read the temp after I've shrunk the controls in FS 2004).  For that matter, I'd also like to not have to leave one of the CDs in the drive in order to start the game as that is already getting old.

I would greatly appreciate any advice that any of you have on what version of MS Flight Sim would be for me!  If there is a more appropriate place to post this question, please direct me to it.

Thanks!

Will N.
Columbia, MO