No replies to this topic

#1 Sparklehammer

Sparklehammer

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 04:57 PM

I picked up FSX recently on Steam; it's the first flight sim I've played since Chuck Yeager's Flight Simulator when I was a child.

After doing what I assume is the typical stuff - flying around my local airport with the little ultralight, seeing how accurate the map is - I embarked on my first real flight, heading from my local airport in Long Beach, CA all the way to Aspen, CO to do a little skiing and relaxing with some hot coco. Despite a few rough encounters with some mountain winds, and having to turn off the Air Traffic Controllers who kept wanting me to fly my Beechcraft Baron all the way up to 30,000 feet, I made it.

Now I'd like to do something more challenging than flying over the desert. I've got a friend in Tokyo, and thought it might be nice to pay him a virtual visit. Thing is, I have no idea how to plan a route, schedule refueling stops, or any of that kind of thing. Heading to Aspen was literally a straight line, and while I had used most of my fuel, there was no need for a pit stop on the way.

So some suggestions on how to plan out a route, which aircraft would be fun to use, etc. would all be appreciated.

#2 Micah

Micah

formerly flyboy_14

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:48 PM

I would use the Beech Baron, and just head north up the West Coast, into Canada, through Alaska. Figure out the range of your Baron, and just plan trips using 3/4 of that range. As for the altitude thing, if you're using the flight planner in FSX, there should be an option to select your cruising altitude.

Good luck!