9 replies to this topic

#1 IWannaBeAnATC

IWannaBeAnATC

formerly IWBAP

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 12:39 PM

Well, I decided to write this tutorial cause I couldn't find one for it on any other forum on this site. This works with any plane that has a GPS in it. - At least any default one, some freeware planes can be really just junk. So for those equiped with GPS and a NAV/GPS switch, and an autopilot, this does the trick.

Printing this tutorial would be a good idea so you don't have to switch applications each step.

Ok, first, go to the airport with the plane you want. For this particular tutorial, I'm using a defualt Cessna Skyhawk (Skylane works the same). Other planes like B737's and such work differently but the concept is the same.

1: open the menu by pressing Alt. If you're not in fullscreen mode, ignore this step.

2: Click Views > Instrument Panel > GPS.

3: Click Views > Instrument Panel > Radio Stack. Move both new views around until you get comfortable with their position on the screen.

4: In the GPS, press the button right underneath RNG. It's an arrow that goes through a shape that is a flat circle... sort of. Now, down by the PUSH CRSR button, press the arrow that points right on the SMALLER dial.
5: Type the airport code you want to go to with your keyboard.

6: Press ENT to confirm that code. Then press ENT to highlight "Activate?". Then press ENT one more time to confirm that you want to activate this.

7: Now a pink line, hopefully, appears on your GPS. That's the line to follow to get to your destination. You're not done yet.

8: Make sure you are off the runway and in the air before you do this next step! (Maybe pause your simulation)

9: Flip the NAV switch to GPS. This, in the Cessnas, are found in the right-top corner of the main panel. It's next to those red digits. (it's NOT in the radio stack! The radio stack has ORANGE digits, not red ones)

9A: Now go to the radio stack, and at the bottom, you'll see orange text that says ALT. Next to it will be about 5 or so digits. Move your cursor so that it has a + or a - in it. Select the altitude you want to keep. Then flip the ALT button on. This is at the VERY bottom of the Cessna radio stack.

9B: Then press the NAV button so that it glows also. This button will hold your heading. That button will hold your plane on the pink GPS line. Now with your altitude set, and your heading set, press the AP button so it turns on. Let go of the yolk slowly if you have a joystick. If you don't, then just let go of the keyboard. The reason you want to let go slowly is so your plane doesn't dive. It takes a few seconds to set the proper pitch and trim. But the Autopilot does this, so don't worry about doing ANYTHING after you pressed the AP button.

Well, that's all! Just make sure you keep the speed constant, so full throttle on ascents and 3/4 on moderate decents. You'll have to maintain airspeed... in the Cessna.

Once you near your airport, turn off the autopilot and land manually.

Questions? Confused? Glitches? Praises? :D Reply please :o

-IWBAP

Btw, thanks, captain, for teaching me GPS nav in the first place :o

Edited by IWannaBeAPilot, 26 August 2004 - 12:57 PM.

#2 SargeJr3

SargeJr3

Gallery Manager

• Gallery Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,067 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 01:52 PM

wow very super, Autopilot in GA aircraft arn't as intuitive.

#3 IWannaBeAnATC

IWannaBeAnATC

formerly IWBAP

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 04:33 PM

Erm, what's a GA aircraft?

And thanks for the compliment :D

Edited by IWannaBeAPilot, 26 August 2004 - 04:35 PM.

#4 IWannaBeAnATC

IWannaBeAnATC

formerly IWBAP

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 04:14 PM

Oh! Is it General Aviation? hehe I get it :D

#5 IWannaBeAnATC

IWannaBeAnATC

formerly IWBAP

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 04:46 PM

IWannaBeAPilot said:

Questions? Confused? Glitches? Praises? :D Reply please :o

*hint hint*

#6 CaptainSpeaking

CaptainSpeaking

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 10:00 AM

How about a STAR or a SID? How can I follow them using the AP and GPS?

Should I just make it by hand and with my charts??:o

#7 SargeJr3

SargeJr3

Gallery Manager

• Gallery Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,067 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 07:46 PM

you couldn't use sids because FS doesn't take note of them!

FSNavigator does though!

#8 CaptainSpeaking

CaptainSpeaking

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 11:11 PM

Oh, But I know you can use STARS... I was making this flight this morning to VHHH, and I had a couple of options on how I would approach a certain runway... :o  :D

#9 Q.W.E.R.T.Y.

Q.W.E.R.T.Y.

Private Pilot - VFR

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 07:10 PM

Nice tutorial!

CaptainSpeaking, this is a GPS tutorial... not a STARS tutorial... but I dunno what stars are anyways :D

#10 Tim.

Tim.

Aviation Hotshot Dec-Feb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,542 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 10:24 AM

Q.W.E.R.T.Y., on Apr 8 2005, 12:10 AM, said:

Nice tutorial!

CaptainSpeaking, this is a GPS tutorial... not a STARS tutorial... but I dunno what stars are anyways :D
Standard Termial Airrvals.