#1 Berky

Berky

Airline Transport Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 01:26 PM

Hello Everyone.

I have been very interested in AFCAD for a long time, and I think I would like to create my own airport (mostly inspired by Sarge).

But, what tools do you need to do it?  and does any of it cost money?

Basically, I am clueless, but I am really interested in this type of stuff, I usually draw architectual plans on graph paper for fun... <<< yeah I have no life  :D

I think this is something I would be good at  :o

#2 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 02:53 PM

Berky, on Sep 19 2004, 02:26 PM, said:

Hello Everyone.

I have been very interested in AFCAD for a long time, and I think I would like to create my own airport (mostly inspired by Sarge).

But, what tools do you need to do it?  and does any of it cost money?

Basically, I am clueless, but I am really interested in this type of stuff, I usually draw architectual plans on graph paper for fun... <<< yeah I have no life  :D

I think this is something I would be good at  :o
1.  AFCAD v2.21, FREEWARE, by Lee Swordy, d/l here at FS2004.com; to redesign default airports and create new airports

2.  Flight Simulator Scenery Creator v1.5.11 (FSSC), FREEWARE, by Derek Leung (google for d/l sites); to create exclusion areas, flatten terrain, smooth terrain, and place scenery macros

3.  Creatsign, FREEWARE, by Vladimir Svoboda, d/l at AVSim; to create and place runway/taxiway information and directional signs

4.  bglcomp_SDK, FREEWARE, by Microsoft, d/l at their FS2004 site; to convert the Creatsign .xml files to .bgl format for FS2004 to use in your scenery

5.  GMAX, FREEWARE, included on FS2004 CDs; only necessary if you intend to create your own macros for sceneries

6.  Scenery Macros, FREEWARE, by various designers; hundreds available on most major flt sim sites, packages range from flags/flagpoles, general vehicles, people, simple to complex buildings, ground support equipment, trees, and even some static aircraft (macros for FS2002 can also be used)

As for "how to use," there are NO shortcuts.  You're going to have to go through the tutorials, slowly, deliberately, step-by-step.  Start small, then work your way along to more complex, and then jump head-long into your project once you have the basics down for each program.  (If you're not going to design your own macros, skip the GMAX stuff.)

#3 SargeJr3

SargeJr3

Gallery Manager

• Gallery Manager
  • 10,067 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 03:01 PM

Sarge, if i have all of the programs you said, i have an afcad file and macros, then how (using FSSC) do i get them where i want them?

#4 Berky

Berky

Airline Transport Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 03:01 PM

I don't think I will create my own marcos (whatever they are) ..... yet.

So,

I will need, 1, 2, and 6

I don't plan to do taxiways, yet, :D

Thanks a ton, Sarge!

Semper Fi

Edited by Berky, 19 September 2004 - 03:01 PM.

#5 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 03:53 PM

I will need, 1, 2, and 6
I don't plan to do taxiways, yet, :o
Correct ....

Thanks a ton, Sarge!
Jeez, I don't know if I got a place store 2,000 pounds of tanks .... oh, never mind; you said "thanks" .... I got room for THAT.   :o

Semper Fi
Nos Ducemos Semper!   :D

#6 Berky

Berky

Airline Transport Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 09:41 PM

BTW, do you need photoshop for it?

#7 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 10:54 PM

Berky, on Sep 19 2004, 10:41 PM, said:

BTW, do you need photoshop for it?
Nope .... only if you're going to make textures for new macros you're going to design (which you aren't).  All the textures you need will be included in the macros you download and use.

Some terrain texturizing is available in AFCAD (see my FS2004 Development post on Loring International; just put up a screenshot of the first test flight to proof out the ILS approaches), but those are built-in to AFCAD.  You just select the type and it automatically puts the texture to it.

#8 JayKee

JayKee

formerly Capt Blaze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,112 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 12:11 PM

Sweet!