71 replies to this topic

#61 nwa_sidestickn

nwa_sidestickn

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 10:38 PM

SWA plans on taking 500-750 pilots next year. AirTran, jetBlue, Frontier, America West are all anticipating 200-250 new pilots on property as well. Plus countless pilots to regional airlines.

Continental will have all furloughed pilots back on property before summer, look for them to open up the hiring widow late next year.

Northwest is recalling at max capacity right now. About 60 pilots a month for the foreseeable future. Still 600+ on the street. Look for their hiring window to open first Q 06'.

NWA and COA will come out as the strong majors in 05' and without a doubt the one's that first start hiring in the major airline category.

Edited by nwa_sidestickn, 08 December 2004 - 10:42 PM.

#62 Ruahrc

Ruahrc

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 05:30 AM

Here are some more questions:

1. Do you need a 4-year degree to become a professional pilot?  (How about for a small regional airline flying props around, or how about a bigger airline like SWA or UAL, etc)  Does it need to be in an aviation related field (will having a degree in History or English or Art work)? I am a senior at my university and will graduate in the spring with a degree in engineering (not aviation related).  I have thought about switching over and going to a pilot school after I graduate, but I always get the feeling that since I completed a 4-year degree before persuing a piloting career, I am too old to start and will be uncompetitive as a pilot?  I do like having that backup though so then if piloting does not fall through I have a very good degree upon which to fall back on (I'd probably go back and get a Ph.D too)

2. How does flight school (like a flight academy, not just private lessons) work exactly?  Is it like a college where you pay an annual tuition and you get lots of full-time instruction and flying practice?  At the end of the flight school (what is it, 1, 2, 4+ years?) do you have pilot's certifications like commercial or ATP liscences?

3. Do you need previous experience to go to flight school?  Will I be able to apply for and get into flight school having no "real" piloting experience, or will I need to go get my PPL first on my own, then apply for pilot's school?

4. How about international liscences?  Say I move to Canada, go to a flight school there, then come back to the states and look for airline jobs.  Will I be at a disadvantage because of my Canadian liscense or will it not matter?  Will it be easier to get a flying job with a Canadian airline if I hold a Canadian liscence, because of the minor differences in the way each country's aviation rules and regulations work?

Ok maybe that was more than a few questions hehe.

Ruahrc

#63 vusaf_tbird1

vusaf_tbird1

formerly flight_guy00

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 08:59 AM

Some Flight "colleges" will actually pay you once you get to a certain point, however, you have to pay your tuition as usual. There's a company in Florida that will train you even on a 727 to get the rating, and once you become certified, you fly with them making money. If I remember correctly, it covers what you've already paid in tuition and flight fees. Kind of a "rebate" if you will. Where you go depends on how far you go and how much you will spend. There are a lot of smaller companies (all atps) that will get your training done in 3 months, if you have the money up front.

#64 nwa_sidestickn

nwa_sidestickn

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 10:37 AM

Ruahrc, on Dec 9 2004, 05:30 AM, said:

1. Do you need a 4-year degree to become a professional pilot?  (How about for a small regional airline flying props around, or how about a bigger airline like SWA or UAL, etc)  Does it need to be in an aviation related field (will having a degree in History or English or Art work)? I am a senior at my university and will graduate in the spring with a degree in engineering (not aviation related).  I have thought about switching over and going to a pilot school after I graduate, but I always get the feeling that since I completed a 4-year degree before persuing a piloting career, I am too old to start and will be uncompetitive as a pilot?  I do like having that backup though so then if piloting does not fall through I have a very good degree upon which to fall back on (I'd probably go back and get a Ph.D too)

2. How does flight school (like a flight academy, not just private lessons) work exactly?  Is it like a college where you pay an annual tuition and you get lots of full-time instruction and flying practice?  At the end of the flight school (what is it, 1, 2, 4+ years?) do you have pilot's certifications like commercial or ATP liscences?

3. Do you need previous experience to go to flight school?  Will I be able to apply for and get into flight school having no "real" piloting experience, or will I need to go get my PPL first on my own, then apply for pilot's school?

4. How about international liscences?  Say I move to Canada, go to a flight school there, then come back to the states and look for airline jobs.  Will I be at a disadvantage because of my Canadian liscense or will it not matter?  Will it be easier to get a flying job with a Canadian airline if I hold a Canadian liscence, because of the minor differences in the way each country's aviation rules and regulations work?

Ruahrc
1. No, airlines DO NOT require a four-year degree. The recommend it. With airlines like Northwest, United, American or Continental a degree is basically "required." Although there are many pilots getting hired at Southwest, AirTran, jetBlue, Frontier, etc, without degrees. I suggest getting a degree in something other than aviation as it gives you a pillow to fall back on if aviation does not work out in your future. I personally think a degree is pointless for an aviation career. I don't need to know the gram molecular mass of ammonium nitrate to fly an airplane, nor does the guy/gal sitting beside me. But, with that being said, it does make you a more well-rounded person in the long run.

2. Well a flight school can be part 61, 141, etc etc. Generally 61 schools are your typical mom and pap schools, little to no structure, few aircraft, and at smaller airports. 141 schools are required to have a structure they follow, these schools are more "rigorous" per say. Then you have your flight academies like ATP. You pay then such and such amount of money and they will train you from either 0.0 hours, to usually Comm. ASEL/AMEL I CFII/MEI, or from your PPL to the last stated ratings. Then you have schools like UND, SIU and ERAU that are flying colleges, you go to college and fly with the school at the same time.

3. Which flight schools are you referring to? You can go to any flight school with 0.0 hours. Hence a flight... school.

4. Can't answer here. Maybe someone else.

#65 C172pilot

C172pilot

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 05:41 PM

nwa_sidestickn, on Dec 9 2004, 10:37 AM, said:

Ruahrc, on Dec 9 2004, 05:30 AM, said:

1. Do you need a 4-year degree to become a professional pilot?  (How about for a small regional airline flying props around, or how about a bigger airline like SWA or UAL, etc)  Does it need to be in an aviation related field (will having a degree in History or English or Art work)? I am a senior at my university and will graduate in the spring with a degree in engineering (not aviation related).  I have thought about switching over and going to a pilot school after I graduate, but I always get the feeling that since I completed a 4-year degree before persuing a piloting career, I am too old to start and will be uncompetitive as a pilot?  I do like having that backup though so then if piloting does not fall through I have a very good degree upon which to fall back on (I'd probably go back and get a Ph.D too)

2. How does flight school (like a flight academy, not just private lessons) work exactly?  Is it like a college where you pay an annual tuition and you get lots of full-time instruction and flying practice?  At the end of the flight school (what is it, 1, 2, 4+ years?) do you have pilot's certifications like commercial or ATP liscences?

3. Do you need previous experience to go to flight school?  Will I be able to apply for and get into flight school having no "real" piloting experience, or will I need to go get my PPL first on my own, then apply for pilot's school?

4. How about international liscences?  Say I move to Canada, go to a flight school there, then come back to the states and look for airline jobs.  Will I be at a disadvantage because of my Canadian liscense or will it not matter?  Will it be easier to get a flying job with a Canadian airline if I hold a Canadian liscence, because of the minor differences in the way each country's aviation rules and regulations work?

Ruahrc
1. No, airlines DO NOT require a four-year degree. The recommend it. With airlines like Northwest, United, American or Continental a degree is basically "required." Although there are many pilots getting hired at Southwest, AirTran, jetBlue, Frontier, etc, without degrees. I suggest getting a degree in something other than aviation as it gives you a pillow to fall back on if aviation does not work out in your future. I personally think a degree is pointless for an aviation career. I don't need to know the gram molecular mass of ammonium nitrate to fly an airplane, nor does the guy/gal sitting beside me. But, with that being said, it does make you a more well-rounded person in the long run.

2. Well a flight school can be part 61, 141, etc etc. Generally 61 schools are your typical mom and pap schools, little to no structure, few aircraft, and at smaller airports. 141 schools are required to have a structure they follow, these schools are more "rigorous" per say. Then you have your flight academies like ATP. You pay then such and such amount of money and they will train you from either 0.0 hours, to usually Comm. ASEL/AMEL I CFII/MEI, or from your PPL to the last stated ratings. Then you have schools like UND, SIU and ERAU that are flying colleges, you go to college and fly with the school at the same time.

3. Which flight schools are you referring to? You can go to any flight school with 0.0 hours. Hence a flight... school.

4. Can't answer here. Maybe someone else.
1) it's recomended as stated above. However, you won't be getting a big plane as soon as say a recently certified ATP would. But it's a gameof luck in the end.

3) I started my PVT training last summer(03). zero hours. got certified oct 17th. Everyone starts from zero, so no worries

4) Why move to canada?? just get one in the USA.. you may need to take a test to make sure you're fluent in their regulations. but no matter where ya go, the knowledge is still the same (more or less).

#66 Ruahrc

Ruahrc

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 06:19 AM

Cause Canada is awesome :D  Seriously though, I know of a flight school there (Selkirk College Aviation) which is reportedly a very good pilot's school in Canada and I have been there and like the area very much.  I think that it would be a nice place to live and learn to fly, but I want to know if it is a logistical possibility to do my training in Canada and then (most likely) return to the US.

Ruahrc

PS Where are websites that I can find the names/locations of good flight schools in the US?  I would prefer the PNW as I am from there and like it very much.

#67 zlacw

zlacw

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 06:31 AM

the infamous www.beapilot.com

*hears the beapilot commercial playing every 5 minutes on Discovery Wings*

#68 vusaf_tbird1

vusaf_tbird1

formerly flight_guy00

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 04:06 PM

I watch that show whenever I have the chance. The plane I fly kind of often has a tv in it, and we get that show off of satellite.  www.beapilot.com or try www.aopa.org

#69 C172pilot

C172pilot

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 01:36 AM

If you're American, get your training done in the US, Canadian? in Canada.

If you want to work for a us carrier learning the Canadian regulations as simular as they are, really is not an awesome thing. you'll just have ot learn the usa things.

But you find what is more important.. Price or quality.

#70 Ruahrc

Ruahrc

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 08:24 AM

If I did go to a Canadian school, however, would it merely be a matter of learning the US air rules and then taking some written test (plus maybe a flying test) to get an american Commercial (or whichever) license?

Ruahrc

PS I am not sure if it is cheaper or not... their website says it's about $19000 for the first year and about $30000 for the second year (Canadian Dollars) that includes everything like tuition and air time and (free, unlimited) simulator time.  So it's like $50000 CDN which is like $30000-$35000 US?  Oh and also add the cost of getting a PPL, as they require a PPL (but no experience needed) to start.

#71 vusaf_tbird1

vusaf_tbird1

formerly flight_guy00

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 09:45 AM

PPL usually costs around $6k, with all materials and flying costs. Commercial is about $13k, but it really depends on where you go, what kind of plane, things like that. A cessna 152 might cost $65/hr at one airport (with instructor fees at $20/hr), and cost $90/hr (instructor $40/hour) at another. Same with the commercial. The RG type aircraft (retractable gear) may cost $85/hr at one, or $120/hr at another. That's something you'd have to investigate.

#72 Wanna-B-A-Pilot

Wanna-B-A-Pilot

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 07:19 AM

dolbinau, on Nov 28 2004, 09:28 AM, said:

Can anyone give me some links regarding ATC Training In australia?
What i found quickly for you Cam:

ATC Training
Hope that helps?

-Daz :D